Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #6601
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Those levels were on the rise. Made them very sick. So I did 50% ASAP. My fish that lived, are back to normal and eating again. I lost one and pulled another through, narily.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #6602
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
Those levels were on the rise. Made them very sick. So I did 50% ASAP. My fish that lived, are back to normal and eating again. I lost one and pulled another through, narily.

Hope things smooth out very soon for you.

I am having a nightmare of my own. I have a gallon of Amquel which I got on clearance, so I have been using this instead of Prime. (Appropriate amounts not the whole gallon of course)

That was the beginning of the nightmare. I was doing all my pwc and filter cleanings. Then a few days back all h*ll broke loose and everything was messed up the tank levels were a mess, fish were sick and acting up, then dying, I have been doing 30-50%, also back to back 50% and also things just kept getting worse AND worse. This was for my 16G, 35G and my 72G.

I have had fish deaths now, my beautiful little German Blue Ram in 16G was the first to go and a baby albino BN, a few Cardinals, both Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 baby Rainbow Blue Platy, my Fiddler crab, a few snails my Gold Clam...my White cray has been hiding and I am fearing the worst.

So I thought I had just killed my BB somehow when I cleaned my filters, but I did everything like always and took good care to be gentle, then thought somehow had mis managed the dosage...racked my brain and just didn't know what was going on.

Meanwhile the filter had broken in the 16G. Got the tank back in order. But the water was still bad.

So racking my brain and no mater how much water I changed, the water wasn't getting better.

Then I got Ich in two tanks, the 35G and the 72G, my heaters weren't good enough to get the tanks up to temp, so I had to buy 2 new heaters and am in the process of getting the temp raised up. Bought some Pimafix. Need to find out about the treatment of Pima with heat for the Ich.

It also killed off a bunch of my moss and seemed to damage my plants.

Well come to find out it can cause pH problems and wreak havoc, it is a very bad situation and I am so mad and sad. It seems is a problem with softer water. So I am tired of water changes and am tired of the tanks smelling like burnt furnace, another side to Amquel, am tired that my beautiful tank is a horrible mess, and that my fish and inverts are partially poisoned and some dead. And really upset that by using heat to treat the tank, I will likely kill most of the plants.

I am trudging along. This is the dark side of things. Sorry for the long rant.

There is a bit of good. My little SW nano tank is almost cycled and I ordered some snails for it.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #6603
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

I am having a nightmare of my own. I have a gallon of Amquel which I got on clearance, so I have been using this instead of Prime. (Appropriate amounts not the whole gallon of course)

That was the beginning of the nightmare. I was doing all my pwc and filter cleanings. Then a few days back all h*ll broke loose and everything was messed up the tank levels were a mess, fish were sick and acting up, then dying, I have been doing 30-50%, also back to back 50% and also things just kept getting worse AND worse. This was for my 16G, 35G and my 72G.

I have had fish deaths now, my beautiful little German Blue Ram in 16G was the first to go and a baby albino BN, a few Cardinals, both Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 baby Rainbow Blue Platy, my Fiddler crab, a few snails my Gold Clam...my White cray has been hiding and I am fearing the worst.

So I thought I had just killed my BB somehow when I cleaned my filters, but I did everything like always and took good care to be gentle, then thought somehow had mis managed the dosage...racked my brain and just didn't know what was going on.

Meanwhile the filter had broken in the 16G. Got the tank back in order. But the water was still bad.

So racking my brain and no mater how much water I changed, the water wasn't getting better.

Then I got Ich in two tanks, the 35G and the 72G, my heaters weren't good enough to get the tanks up to temp, so I had to buy 2 new heaters and am in the process of getting the temp raised up. Bought some Pimafix. Need to find out about the treatment of Pima with heat for the Ich.

Well come to find out it can cause pH problems and wreak havoc, it is a very bad situation and I am so mad and sad. It seems is a problem with softer water. So I am tired of water changes and am tired of the tanks smelling like burnt furnace, another side to Amquel, am tired that my beautiful tank is a horrible mess, and that my fish and inverts are partially poisoned and some dead. And really upset that by using heat to treat the tank, I will likely kill most of the plants.

There is a bit of good. My little SW nano tank is almost cycled and I ordered some snails for it.
Autumnsky I'm so sorry to hear this what a terrible time for you, i really hope everything stabilises and you don't suffer anymore losses. Lesley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #6604
Aquarium Advice Addict

How awful for you, Autumsky. It s the worst feeling when you cant keep these little creatures alive & happy. We create these environments for them & there s such a huge responsibility in that. I get this sick to my stomach feeling when I lose one & a couple of times , it s been directly from something I did. I say all of this in support, we ve all been there. Sending good thoughts your way.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #6605
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found another dead tiger barb. I'm really curious as to what is killing them, although this time I forgot to turn the filter back on after feeding Friday night, so that may have done it.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #6606
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

Oh my gosh! That is horrible! Can you move your plants to a quarantine while you heat your tanks? I am so sorry for your losses. I wonder if the Amquel was bad. I go to Jack's Pets, they always recommend their brand for conditioner and water treaters, but I have always had good experiences with TETRA brand and know it is safe. So I buy that from Wal-mart instead. I fear changing brands. People have recommended PRIME, but I have never used it so I don't even entertain the idea. I hope your tanks pull through.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #6607
Aquarium Advice Freak

I trimmed, pulled, and pruned by 75 gallon. I did a water change. I did a tiny little rearranging. I moved some fish back over. I took everything out of my 55 gallon, vacuumed, did water change, trimmed, and replanted, put all back in (rearranged). I did a water change on my other 55 gallon removed java moss and put in 30 gallon tank, and replanted baby plants shooting from main plant. I did a water change on the 30, a little rearranging and moved all fry to the 30 gallon tank to grow out. It took me from wake up to 5:00pm to finish, but I am happy and so are the fish. It really needed it. Good clean ups. Got filters cleaned and glass canopies cleaned, too.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #6608
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday I picked up some fish magazines. Thought a fish was dead, but he wasn't. He's on his way out though, sadly. Working on my walstad bowl, hoping to get some RCS eventual.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #6609
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post

Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Well thanks, but i'll stick to my methods because i don't lose fish. And yes, i have full test kits.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #6610
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Finished plant trimming and replanting. Enjoyed watching frozen bloodworm feast. Took some pictures of my fish.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400452995.136474.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	237650

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com