What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Worked about 12 hours on fish stuff today. Full time job? Just take care of fish and shrimp.

60074-albums14810-picture72507.jpg

60074-albums14810-picture72510.jpg

This tiny tank clean out and switcheroo was a nightmare. I feel like saying, "I will never so that again"............but I will.

Well, I couldn't get my computer to cooperate. So ill do a few day two pictures...

But got them dripped and then in the tank. Left a few min to get some of Omega Ones frozen community diet to thaw. Got to watch the shrimp HAPPILY eat biofilm and a bit of string algae! Fed the thawed food, the poor babies where STARVING.

Woke up this morning, they have dramatically colored up from yesterday. Black background, gravel and food seemed to settle them!

A shot of one of my two assassins. I still have snails EVERYWHERE so I may add at least two more!
20200402_061514.jpg

One of my lovely rilli on the sponge they game in on, Ill take it out when I get the plants in so I only disturb them one more time!
20200402_061545.jpg

A shot at one of the little danios! You can see how they brightened up, they where ugly little grey things when I got them! They arn't even a half inch. SO TINY!
20200402_061642.jpg

Well, I couldn't get my computer to cooperate. So ill do a few day two pictures...

But got them dripped and then in the tank. Left a few min to get some of Omega Ones frozen community diet to thaw. Got to watch the shrimp HAPPILY eat biofilm and a bit of string algae! Fed the thawed food, the poor babies where STARVING.

Woke up this morning, they have dramatically colored up from yesterday. Black background, gravel and food seemed to settle them!

A shot of one of my two assassins. I still have snails EVERYWHERE so I may add at least two more!
20200402_061514.jpg

One of my lovely rilli on the sponge they game in on, Ill take it out when I get the plants in so I only disturb them one more time!
20200402_061545.jpg

A shot at one of the little danios! You can see how they brightened up, they where ugly little grey things when I got them! They arn't even a half inch. SO TINY!
20200402_061642.jpg

So beautiful, lovely Rilis - Blues (and Orange too) are my favorite colors.

The CPD's are getting their colors, don't look bad for being young and new!!!

Love the nano fish / and shrimp tanks. Still my favorite. I am working towards the 72G to be a nano fish tank. :brows:

Shrimp are doing great.

Some of the issues that were going on in the Spec V yesterday. Need to move some of the snails out of the Spec V, threw almost all the snails when making the new shrimp tank in there. And the baby Rafael Cat which is now about 3 inches (was about an inch). I couldn't decide which tank to put her in.

Somehow in planning the 2 big tanks I an wondering in moving all the bottom fish whether to maybe move the Guppy & Endler guys to the river tank. And leave the Congos in the 72G tank they are in now.

I wonder this as the 80G is open top with the Cypress knees DW sticking out and I want emergent growth of a few things in the back, and although I was going to try to retrofit the (stock) mesh safety top with just the one corner of DW and plants open, I and thinking maybe switch and leave the fish which likely jump in the closed top.

Which of course this thinking messes up everything. Big time.

More on this later, can't even get the 80G water circulating enough to clear up. I did find my other big water moving pump and plan to put this in tonight. Fingers crossed.

The O ring fittings kit is supposed to come tomorrow. Thank goodness - I can get the FX-5 going. I had to plug it in yesterday a few minutes to keep O2 in there are there is a tray of live media in it now!!!

Which I switched after doing a cleanout finding the Kuhlis in the 72G's FX-5.

Feeding a bit light in the 72G, fish seem annoyed about it.

Got the plants in!

Came in an itty bitty box from Marks Aquatics
20200403_120308.jpg

Very well packed in the little baggies. Smart way to ship plants, less weight!
20200403_120421.jpg

Full tank with the plants in. Sorry about the glare the overhead light will be in SOON and will help cut that
20200403_161216_HDR.jpg

Top Picture
20200403_161223.jpg

Flame sword
20200403_161253_HDR.jpg

Other plants, came with a few stems. Also got some more dwarf hairgrass, trying to carpet.
20200403_161231_HDR.jpg

First shrimp molt!
20200403_161842.jpg

The size of the obnoxious pond snails my assassins can't seem to munch down!
20200403_161129.jpg

Last but not least, a little aqua cultured skeeter larvae for the little CPD. They slurped them like noodles!
JPEG_20200403_155757.jpg

Got the plants in!

Came in an itty bitty box from Marks Aquatics
20200403_120308.jpg

Very well packed in the little baggies. Smart way to ship plants, less weight!
20200403_120421.jpg

Full tank with the plants in. Sorry about the glare the overhead light will be in SOON and will help cut that
20200403_161216_HDR.jpg

Top Picture
20200403_161223.jpg

Flame sword
20200403_161253_HDR.jpg

Other plants, came with a few stems. Also got some more dwarf hairgrass, trying to carpet.
20200403_161231_HDR.jpg

First shrimp molt!
20200403_161842.jpg

The size of the obnoxious pond snails my assassins can't seem to munch down!
20200403_161129.jpg

Last but not least, a little aqua cultured skeeter larvae for the little CPD. They slurped them like noodles!
JPEG_20200403_155757.jpg

Looks like a very fun day and little snacks for the CPD's!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threw a bunch of little Bladder snails into the Loaches (from the really overfed Guppy Endlers grow out tank), I am sure they will find them quickly. I never see them over a few days, just empty shells scattered at the bottom I really need to clean out!

There were 0 DOA on the shrimp even after an all day/evening acclimation.

The shrimp travel water was 6.0 pH.

My tank water was 6.8 maybe a bit more.

So worked all day getting the shrimp water closer.

Then did probably 6 2G pwc back to back (with a break for other stuff) to get that water cleaner but also closer to the other water.

Pretty proud of the even extra work at the end I had to do to get this result Shrimp acclimation water and the 12G tank water!
60074-albums14809-picture72534.jpg

I felt almost compulsively getting them to have a nearly identical color.

The New shrimp went to the 12G Edge.

Had to once again move the Thai Betta and his Betta Leaf. This time to the crazy Guppy Endler Tank. Moved his leaf but he's been hang out in the mass of Hornwort. And a rambunctious Amano shrimp I didn't want fussing with the baby Golden Bees.

Fed him in the opposite corner as the guppy herd - behind a bunch of stems of Hornwort and it only took a couple minutes for the Momma fish to charge over, and in a couple seconds he was overtaken by what looked like the old Black Friday sales at electronic and big box stores. Or a whole football team dog piling on the QB.

The fish was incredibly annoyed and surprised by the intrusion. He is so cool. He allows me to push each pellet over his head and in front of him and then he eats it. Not doing that all the time but he allows the hand in the water.

I used to have him get in the net to go into a big cup and eat extra foods like frozen defrosted Brine varieties and Marine Cuisine when he was recovering from his illness long back. Then I would clean his water and not muck up water quality while he ate heartily. But he doesn't mind getting in the net, hahaha.

Will need to figure out how to get him to eat away from the hordes of Guppies.

Anyway Also got the O rings in the mail and changes the main seal for the lid and the quick connect ones at the top /lid as well for the FX-5 filter.

Rinsed it out with treated water as it smelled a bit. Hooked it up to the 80G tank and then couldn't fit it under the cabinet and had to take the door off.

The spaces underneath 80G stand 3 of them are 11.5" and the canister is 11.25" if you turn it sideways so the handle grips are off centered. Had to remove the door from the hinge :banghead: Did not think of the door as being in the way.

Cleaned the small HOB filter on the 30G Waterbox Guppy /Endlers tank. Added a prefilter because it didn't want to restart as there were moss strands stuck in the impeller, which sounds like the last filter clean out without a pre-filter.

And did about 10G pwc on the 30G tank as well. Scooping out as much duckweed as possible. Was none floating on top. Still somehow reappears in 1-2 days like magic.

Adding the FX-5 to the 80G did nearly nothing to stop the cloudiness. I really just don't think Clarity works in my water worth a darn. Will try a new dose before bed. I did take a "before" pic and it looks about the same to me - again.

Since the shrimp were the priority today, maybe will try something else tomorrow.

Little Golden Bee shrimp are swimming all over in the tank and exploring.

Last edited:
Today performed a 50% pwc and rearranged media in FX6 filter. I moved the mechanical filters to the top shelf and added biomedia to bottom shelf. So now I have mechanical filters in the top shelf and biomedia in the 2nd and 3rd shelves. Also added a filter which supposedly will help to keep nitrates low between pwc. Before pwc nitrates were 10ppm. Post pwc nitrates are 5ppm. I'll check it again in couple of days...

Late last night I discovered my last Gold Mystery Snail had died. Its body was partially out of the shell. It seemed fine before, scurrying around the entire tank. I didn't notice it sooner because it was hidden behind a java plant... I'm debating on getting more. At one point I had six...

And I still don't know what is going on three of my Green Glofish Tetras. They are swimming erratically, actually cartwheels... Most times they flutter swim nose down. I've tried various treatments for swim bladder disorder, nothing seems to work... The other 13 Glofish Tetras are behaving normally... As well is the other aquatic denizens...

20200404_100455.jpg20200404_100510.jpg

Last edited:
20 gallon PWC yesterday on the 65 gallon. Figure I’ll do this amount weekly and see how nitrates do.

Added driftwood into the 90 gallon aquarium, rearranged plants now that they are starting to get roots. Cories love it, angelfish is unimpressed

Shrimp in both tanks look good. Took a couple pics but didn't get them loaded yet.

80G tank still cloudy. I will order the other brand accuclear. Maybe a big water change tomorrow as well.

Found my overly active Amano shrimp dried to a crisp on the floor in front of the Guppy Endler tank. Probably got startled by the other overly active fish in the tank. It was a favorite because she was kinda orange color and always swimming all over. That was sad.

Tried the stick on the glass wafer food and failed 2 days in a row - they kept falling right off. Tonight realized I was trying to stick them on backwards - oopsy.

The flat side goes against the glass, just so no one else feels has to feel a little bit dumb. I thought it was the concave side/ like a suction cup. Nope, flat like flat, lol.

Upon going into the fish QT room and going to do the PRL shrimp pwc, I startled a Panda female and she flew out of the tank. I thought some grasshopper had got into the room, and scared ME! Got her back into the tank but she had a big jump.

They are very jumpy. That is the 3rd time one jumped out. It has a partial top. which was off centered a little and left a gap at the side.

I tested the water and it was 0 ammonia and nitrites pH was about 6.4 so I added a couple pinches of Calcium maybe a 1/8 tsp. Will check again tomorrow. Might add a tablespoon of dissolved magnesium if it is still low.

Really wanted to have the Endler Colony happily swimming in the (CLEAR) 80G, but maybe will clear up with the new treatment.

Did half gallon pwc on the PRL tank. Rinsed the square of bulk filter pad which catches stuff still on top of the overflow, barely a mess but it is nice and clean now. Will do the prefilter next time. Water is very clear!

Did a water change on the Wine glass and added water to the 80G

Lost one CPD today. I was the smallest runty one. Its belly always looked hollow, I suspect it was simply too young!

Both my worm cultures are harvestable now! I will NEVER use oatmeal again, it stinks. BUT feeding them is a joy!

Thought I lost all my shrimp, its amazing how fast they disappear! Found three on the black intake sponge, one in a plant, one of the driftwood java shelf. Haven't seen six at once, but also no bodies so PROBABLY still alive.

Just waiting for the light to come on for the morning feed, I will start adding a quarter of an algae wafer in the morning. I want the shrimp to grow FAST! I also need to crush up the eggshells and sprinkle a bit in, they seem to be molting rather often!

Lost one CPD today. I was the smallest runty one. Its belly always looked hollow, I suspect it was simply too young!

Both my worm cultures are harvestable now! I will NEVER use oatmeal again, it stinks. BUT feeding them is a joy!

Thought I lost all my shrimp, its amazing how fast they disappear! Found three on the black intake sponge, one in a plant, one of the driftwood java shelf. Haven't seen six at once, but also no bodies so PROBABLY still alive.

Just waiting for the light to come on for the morning feed, I will start adding a quarter of an algae wafer in the morning. I want the shrimp to grow FAST! I also need to crush up the eggshells and sprinkle a bit in, they seem to be molting rather often!

Sounds like they are growing fast.

Really know the little shrimp can hide well, it's hard to count half my 44 Golden Bees.

Found the Panda Endler jumper swimming around with her pals this morning.

Makes me feel so much better.

Think I have figured out a way to keep the Betta able to eat 2x per day and that is to use a barrier to isolate the fish in the corner for a few minutes. He is a casual eater /slow and thinks about which pellet to eat for a second or 2 before grabbing it.

He didn't take happily to the idea of not getting his bedtime snack. He looked decidedly to be pouting and dissatisfied. So I shoo'd away the other fish by scooping them toward the other side of the tank while dropping in a couple Betta pellets at a time for his snack.

Aw, how pretty!

The angels are small now and eating the limpets. They have taken a few shots at the shrimp but so far the shrimp are wise to them and fast.

I only have the 5 neons that are older than dirt. So way to big to get eaten.

The angels are small now and eating the limpets. They have taken a few shots at the shrimp but so far the shrimp are wise to them and fast.

I only have the 5 neons that are older than dirt. So way to big to get eaten.

Angels are so much fun, yours are LOVELY!

My walterworm culture is producing more than I thought possible, I can easily see them as they climb!

Another heavy water change, as I am feeding everything heavy. Still only seen four shrimp at once but the adore the driftwood shelf with java, taken to leaving them food there! I am leaving the molted shells in, they seem to melt and I am sure they can use the minerals!

Will be prepping a tank for a pair of Fundulopanchax Mirabilis Traudeae Tinto killifish this evening. Tank is aged and planted. Will be arranged for additional hiding spots. Excited as this will be my first venture with killies. Also, water changes colony maintenance for my shrimp and guppy tanks.

The 80G has cleared up about 80% imho. Will rinse out all the bulk filter pads as well as the filter socks.

But...
Curse the melting Hornwort!!! lol.

The 5G Spec V has had a huge melt yesterday I was away and noticed it this afternoon.

What happens when the water is changed in large volume.

Soo I did about 2.5 90% pwc using a cup to suck in the lower scum near the filter side at the bottom area, but there was so much of it that it took that much water changing to get most of the leaf pieces :/

I caught numerous shrimp, or the same ones over and over and carefully had to check each scoop of water for tiny shrimp and baby Panda Endlers as well as misc. MTS.

Changed about 2 gallons of water for the PRL tank with rinsing the pre-filter and the bulk pad too. We hope that the little guys are happy about the fresh water. Seem to be fine with it.

The ~2G pwc is the maximum amount I can change without the filter stopping with the height of the water line.

The Mineral Junkie Pearls are both gone excepting the mineral residue in the substrate in the PRL tank. The snails were observed eating it all the time, not really the shrimp. Thinking I might just add one Pearl a week or so.

Having to dig through a drawer in the back room closet to find any more useful shrimp tank stuff.

Today I added Ebi shrimp food and some soybean hull snow pellet pieces in all the tanks with shrimp, incl. ghost shrimp.

I got my shipment of fish today. 2 doas but everyone else is super active.

The new angels are a lot more bright than the last new ones. These are active and exploring, and their fins are in perfect condition. Some of their gills are red but I don’t know if it’s from ammonia or it’s a blushing gene.

Everyone’s already establishing dominance within themselves and around themselves. No schooling really and just lots of exploring.

I wonder if my emerald green cories are two desperate species? They look fairly different. The new ones are solid gray and the ones I had before are darker gray with like light brown stripes. Maybe they’re just younger.

I’m so excited for this tank to grow out

Elizae
I belong to a Canadian Corydoras Breeders group and we have some awesome breeders on it who can ID almost anything, so if you can access something similar you can probably find out anything you want about your Emeralds

Back
Top Bottom