What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had them many years ago. From an old breeder. In the 70s. Very good quality. (this is important). They reproduced in normal tap water. I sold them all. In 18 I tried again. I used very acidic water. pH 5.
Ground gravel, approx. 6mm. I won some young fish. Not much.
When it gets warmer, I'll order again. I found a stream in the mountains under a peat bog. pH <6, KH1. Comfortable scooping.
Ok, 25 miles. Does not matter.
I will success with it.

Sounds good?.
‐~~~~~~~~~~~
Had several days mini cycle in the wine glass tank. Tonight was back to okay. Always know when the MTS are heading up to the top of the water/ surface something is wrong.

Each night took out a gob of MTS and added them to the Clown and Yoyo Loaches. Probably 50 tiny to adults size total. Way too many in there.

Working on some more tank switching ideas- never ending it seems like.

Happy New Year - 2021

I am battling with what I now think are gill flukes in the 72G community. Salted tank + cranked heat for several days- still seeing issues. Bought API general cure at my fish shop this morning. I wanted prazipro but can't find it anywhere near me- shipping takes too long. Emptied half my tank water so I'm at about 40 gallons, took out carbon and treated with the meds. Fun side story- my vaccum was clogged with ice because I'm a ditz and left it outside after water change to empty out in 10 degree weather few dats ago... Nice! My carbon is sitting in a bucket of tank water, can go back in 4 days. Sure hope my BB will be ok. :ermm:
Lovely way to start of the new year! :facepalm:

I am battling with what I now think are gill flukes in the 72G community. Salted tank + cranked heat for several days- still seeing issues. Bought API general cure at my fish shop this morning. I wanted prazipro but can't find it anywhere near me- shipping takes too long. Emptied half my tank water so I'm at about 40 gallons, took out carbon and treated with the meds. Fun side story- my vaccum was clogged with ice because I'm a ditz and left it outside after water change to empty out in 10 degree weather few dats ago... Nice! My carbon is sitting in a bucket of tank water, can go back in 4 days. Sure hope my BB will be ok. :ermm:
Lovely way to start of the new year! :facepalm:

Oh that sounds terrible. I am so sorry about these issues.

You might want to look into Fenbendozole. Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Since it is in a liquid suspension, mixing into the water is quick unlike tablets used for dogs. You can usually find it at a livestock / ranch supply veterinary store. And online. Often also used as an alternative for Flukes resistant to prazi-quantel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty quiet. Fed all the fish frozen foods today, mini Mysis and Formula 2. Cleaned some algae clumps out of the PRL shrimp cube. Babies are growing and I see small and again new sized fry! They do not have a lot of babies at one time, but are at least having them!

Coached DD on how to make a bioactive forest terrarium in her old Fluval Edge 6.6G. It is beautiful. I made a smallish cylindrical bioactive vase terrarium forest themed as well. I post that type stuff on IG and the name is AutumnskyCO. If you want to see it. There is enough Lichens and material to make about 2-3 more. If at all possible I will make a call in order with curbside pick up at the nursery in town for a few tiny ferns.

The Isopods /Powder Orange Roly Pollies were charging around checking out their new home! Included Springtails in them as well.

You might want to look into Fenbendozole. Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Since it is in a liquid suspension, mixing into the water is quick unlike tablets used for dogs. You can usually find it at a livestock / ranch supply veterinary store. And online. Often also used as an alternative for Flukes resistant to prazi-quantel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty quiet. Fed all the fish frozen foods today, mini Mysis and Formula 2. Cleaned some algae clumps out of the PRL shrimp cube. Babies are growing and I see small and again new sized fry! They do not have a lot of babies at one time, but are at least having them!

Coached DD on how to make a bioactive forest terrarium in her old Fluval Edge 6.6G. It is beautiful. I made a smallish cylindrical bioactive vase terrarium forest themed as well. I post that type stuff on IG and the name is AutumnskyCO. If you want to see it. There is enough Lichens and material to make about 2-3 more. If at all possible I will make a call in order with curbside pick up at the nursery in town for a few tiny ferns.

The Isopods /Powder Orange Roly Pollies were charging around checking out their new home! Included Springtails in them as well.

You made me create an account. Medicine is for goat
https://images.app.goo.gl/RvV2m2arRGheyksE7.

Sorry if this is funny only to me.

You made me create an account. Medicine is for goat
https://images.app.goo.gl/RvV2m2arRGheyksE7.

Sorry if this is funny only to me.

Welcome if only to get a laugh!

Fenbendozole - which is also dewormer for goats, dogs, pigs, horses, etc, just in different dosages, is a medication to treat types of worms!!! True story, even in fish.

In very tiny amounts Fenbendozole can kill Planaria and Hydra, a pest type of creatures in fish and dwarf shrimp tanks, in a regular dose can kill Flukes and other worms inside of fish and on their body, and worms in the substrate of the fish tanks. (Some worms are okay and not bad for fish or shrimps.)

It is also known as Panacur, treatment for animals with worms. Can treat Giardia in animals and Lungworm too!

Reason I posted the goat dewormer is it is a liquid, dissolves in tank water quickly (tablets like given to dogs [22.2% for 222 mg] do not dissolve very well and the amount of medication in each tablet is not an easy equation to figure like liquid which is 10% for 100mg/ml)

example for fish
https://www.amazon.com/Plymouth-Dis...s=fenbendazole+for+fish&qid=1609916934&sr=8-1

Water changes on the Wine Glass and the Shrimp Cube. Lots of shrimp teenie, small and adults maybe 20 now. Never can see the tiny ones in all the plants, always some hiding, so probably a couple I missed.

Unfortunately I discovered that the new "PRL" are not Pure Red Line. Easily discovered when the babies aren't identical to the PRL line.

There is a mixed up shrimp because although the original group did indeed have identical babies no odd ball colors / types. This group has an odd shrimp and there are at least 2 babies which have wrong colors. One had reddish brown strip and a black fan on the tail. And another is dark reddish to black bands. One I saw as a newborn fry looked a bit orange on the stripe, but haven seen it recently.

I know the few adults which are good and pure originally, but now bred with the mixed ones. I think there was just one male real PRL. So I am up the creek without a proper shrimp so to speak.

The seller which perfect in the first shipment, was terrible on the second, not communicated after numerous emails, and for months didn't email or send my other missing part of the order, then finally after months - encouraged strongly to fix the problem, gave me a refund.

This was a brand new tank with no other shrimp in my possession, and no possible way of getting them mixed and their line ruined. So I was possibly swindled, and I am disappointed the most that I could be in the situation. So much money wasted. I could get 2x the shrimp I got for half the price, at least.

Now not sure what direction to go in. Just throw them in the mixed Bees tank and chalk it up to experience as the saying goes. Or remove the messed up ones aka culls and have a tank of CRS. I didn't want several shrimp tanks right now. Just the 2. Thankfully they didn't get put into the brand new tank, and I still have a chance to keep PRL. If I can get some actual PRL shrimp. Due to outside circumstances, the PRL Project will probably just need to wait.

My shrimp soul is broken right now. :nono: :bawl:

:banghead::banghead::bad-words:

Thank you! I will definitely keep that info in case I run into anymore issues! :)

My tank has gone through the treatment and I do my water change and go back to normal today. No more deaths, no more flashing, everybody seems okay. *fingers crossed*
Today I fed everybody breakfast and freaked out for a minute because I couldn't find my prominent female molly. She is my FAVORITE and she always comes up to the glass to say hello. I think she was still half asleep when I flipped on the lights this morning- once I found her and she saw me she came up and wiggled around like normal. I love my Mama Popcorn :love:

I see you grow bee shrimp.
I would like to ask something.
When young bee shrimp appear, when do they get their parents' colors?

Mine look like teeny tiny parents. This is for Crystal Red and Pure Red Line Caridina, also Tangerine Tiger Caridina shrimp would be lighter orange but get darker as they grew up. The other Mixed Bee shrimp would look just like parents, often just a small amount lighter.

~~~~~~
Cleaned in the spare fish and plant room. Searched used furniture for certain types of cabinet, dresser, credenza, buffet table suitable to a space under the window. Possibilities, emailed.

Made / planted a terrestrial moss turtle bowl / jar. Old school low side style. Cute. Pwc on "PRL" cube. Afded water and food to QT tank for snails and BB.

Cleaned out 2 glass decorative container which have tiny, and small moss balls, refreshed and new tank water.

Thank You for the info.
I have had bee shrimp since September. There were 20 pieces. Now there are 4 left.
But others have emerged that look different. Mostly white and natural gray, but also a little red and some brown.
There are also smaller ones that were probably created recently.
There are only bees in the aquarium, nothing else.
I've waited for them to get some color after a molt. But that will probably not happen.

This morning I woke up to my boyfriend having a melt down because he couldn't find the mickey mouse platy. I assured him that he was hiding in one of the plants. He insisted he was not in there- he thought he had died. Sooooo I fed everybody breakfast and out pops the mickey mouse. Crisis averted. :lol:

This morning I woke up to my boyfriend having a melt down because he couldn't find the mickey mouse platy. I assured him that he was hiding in one of the plants. He insisted he was not in there- he thought he had died. Sooooo I fed everybody breakfast and out pops the mickey mouse. Crisis averted. :lol:

Great save!! [emoji106]

40% water change along with vaccuming the gravel.
Pushed one of pleto to check if everything's okay with him :)

Moved 2 NOT PRL shrimp to the mixed Bee tank....

Getting more algae in the "PRL" tank with reducing water changes. So started doing 1-2 30 ounce cups again daily or every other day and using RO to top off. There is decent daily evap with the open cube.

3 bigger tanks are due for water changes this weekend.

I had put in an offer for a SW tank, but never got a response for the offer. So back to a quick look and see what is available now used locally. Getting the SW tank changed up would be great.

Getting ready to change this cube tank anyway, but also 12G Edge mixed Bee tank.

Oddly there was a problem in the tank and I lost most of the shrimp in there. Might have been when I did a big water change. Sad, annoying and costly.

And night before last I bought a new Betta online. A really beautiful fish halfmoon plakat- white dragon with a blue rim on the tail and some on the other fins. Will have to check back arrival will be in appx. 5 days to a week.

Well lots done in the past day/night before.

Since I had the person who wanted the breeders Bolivian Rams, I had a bit of time day before this and text about coming for them while deciding to move some fish.

30G Waterbox had the Bolivian Rams, back from QT period / moving the other fish out of there to the 72G previously.

So he said he could come today / Sunday.

So I needed to clean up/ freshen up the water, had added regular water for evap top offs, scrape the algae off the sides, there was so much moss growing it was blocking good water flow and lots of particles in the tank. Added new fine filter pads and rinsed out the regular filter pads from both filters. Did about 6 5G buckets into the tank, remove as much as possible before the filters loose suction, add in a bucket.

Did vac'ing, the front was clean but after removing the big DW pieces, and the big stones and clouds of Subwassertang I could see the back again and it was still mucky in some spots I missed last time because of all the pieces in there.

Water was beautiful, so clear after all that!

There were 3 Fire Tetras, and one leftover Wadai Tetra I couldn't catch before because apparently they can lay horizontally under a rock and stay there awhile. One black Neon which came from my friend with all the other fish. And only 2 Pygmy Cories, which went to the shrimp tank for the time being. One was acting funny so maybe not long for this world. Hoping the change of scenery will help. All the others went into the 72G.

Found that there were a total of 14 Rams I kept 5.

He brought me a big bag of Dwarf Vals and got the rest of the group and would have 18 fish which would be a great breeding group. I had the 2 adult males. Gave him those and the other female adult since I am not planning to breed and kept some little guys.

He happens to have a trio of Pearl Gourami he might need to rehome because of cranky tank mates.

I was able to capture the 4 Giant Danios (80G) quickly which surprised me. I posted them, but didn't get a response today. Lfs opens Wed. and if I do not have a home for them, they will go live there, already talked with them about it. Ended up putting them into the 30G waterbox for the time being. They seem so happy having the tank all to themselves.

The question on my mind is - what to make this 30G Waterbox tank now... Considered SW but it is maybe just a smidge too small for the fish I already have. Could work, but.

No ideal used SW tank set ups for sale atm. Am considering buying a low iron glass tank only. Buying a separate stand, for around a 35ish G size.

Strongly still looking for answers for the 80G.

Also talked with a CAS member who has 6 Red Laser Rainbows which sound fun to see in the tank!

Never a dull moment!

Did an 8G pwc on the SW. Cleaned off the Coraline algae in the front glass, looks better!

More tomorrow.

Feeding time and spotted this little guy.

View attachment 319391

A liitle one! That's exciting.
Yesterday, I moved small tanks and aqua moss jars around in the back room. Cleaned up / wiped off tables and counters, containers.

Removed 2 cafe tables they sat on to make room for a new / used cabinet for in front if the window. Then miscommunication and ended up missing out on getting it picked up :( . So must wait a few more days.

Checked on getting a dozen boraras brigitrae, not in stock. Signed up for the waiting list.

Agreed to set up the preschool class nano tank of a friend. Hoping to have a Mystery snail, 3 fancy Guppies /Endlers maybe a group of Pygmy Cories and a CPO, orange dwarf Crayfish. "Would I happen to have some spare gravel?" Indeed, :lol:

75% pwc on snail home QT, no fish atm an keep feeding for BB.

Maybe Wednesday but prob Thursday my new Betta arrives!!! USPS has been slow, could be Friday. Good weather lusted all week. No snow/ ice storms. High 40 to 50'sF.

A liitle one! That's exciting.

There are 2 babies in there, but they wouldnt both get within frame for a photo.

I tend to get 1 or 2 new corys every couple of months, including ones that i rescue from the bottom of the canister when doing maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom