What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just realized that I have a confirmed second and smaller baby Pencil fish!!! About half the size of the other one.

Heart's a flutter! They are adorable! I wonder if there is any more, which would really be awesome! I almost can't see in the back and with the Endlers and Guppies zipping around, it makes it even harder.

I saw both at the same time, and saw some new fry/baby Guppies which most end up eaten. The moss is crazy in there so it seems crazy outta control moss is perfect for keeping babies alive (duh)!

The BBA is still fluffy on the Anubias which a bunch of leaves from underneath, are yellowing, maintenance needed there.

But a nice thing is the BBA in the moss is reducing, maybe since I started asding the ferts! Anyhow I sprayed a little H2O2 on the spots o the top and we'll will see if they go away. Otherwise I will do it again, when the next water change comes, hit it directly.

The hobby guy said he wanted the shrimp twice but didn't come through had a mini ghosting so far after letting him know I needed him to get back to me since they were in a bucket.

Moved the shrimp back into the tank along with half the plants the other plants are in the other bucket. Had told him when I would be moving them out of the tank and when to expect them to be able to be picked up as in a couple days would be one of them.

Looks like I lost one Rabbit snail and maybe 15 shrimp during that situation. Very annoying. I didn't want to put them back since it was a clean slate ready for new Caridina shrimp. The heater seems to be stuck on one temperature. not changing and in the probably 3-3.5 gallons of water in a 5G bucket that temp was much more of a problem, than in a 12G tank :( .

Need to move my Rummy nose in the 12G white Edge still and give the tank a clean and the new shrimp can live in that tank. Ordering them this weekend or early next week. Really wanted the larger group to work on the algae in there though. Hoping to get a great deal, or a greater deal on more shrimp if I go with a less expensive choice like nice grade Blue Bolts.

Oh well, whatever will be will be. I can't make people have good manners, or communicate their intentions in a timely manner, and my mind reading skills are lacking at times.

Still never heard back about my shrimp.

Anyhow, I am just going to keep them for the time being.

Found a new Betta. Will be going into the 12G white Edge. White body with sheer orange fins. I am imagining the coloring will change some since he looks stressed. Moving him from the small deli size container to a 1G pitcher. Till tomorrow. I got some algae on the glass of that tank, I'd like to clean off.

Working on some additional re organizing of the boxes of fish stuff. I put 2 - 6.6G one Fluval Edge open top (top was removed) and one regular small
Edge tank in the shed and still have one more small tank to squeeze in. Have a the Aquarium Club bowl show tank 2.5G also in there. 72G pwc tomorrow. Plus a few more as time allows.

I added 12 gallons to my tank that evaporated while I was on vacation last week... I discovered my turtle can get out and in his tank whenever he wants so that was a surprise... When he got out he sent a few roaches back to the lobby so GG I guess...:hide:

I ordered pool filter sand yesterday. I finally will have some time to change out all my substrate. I have had play sand in all three major tanks for a while now, and it was a huge mistake. It looked pretty at the outset, but it's too fine and compacts too much. Compared to my previous tanks with pool filter sand, I have struggled constantly to keep these looking clean and to get plants to grow. I'm looking forward to the change!

Autumn, how exciting about the pencilfish!

I have a bit of BBA right now--plan to do a rescape soon and start that battle.

New betta sounds very pretty--like a creamsicle.

Thank you!

Creamsicle has fin rot. Noticed when he went into the warmer tank. Initially thought the Rummynose took out some chomps, which they may have. Anyhow the Betta has some loss of fins and is going into treatment. I have been lookjng for my tiny heater but aftet the move last year I can't find everything yet. In the middle of straightening out that issue. Everything in the catch all garden room is slowly but surely getting sorted. If I can't find the heater in the next couple hours will just go buy another one. And get the Betta in a calmer space.

Last week at the fish club meeting I bought an L200 Green Dragon Pleco. He's been hiding ever since in the 30G.

He was expensive and very pretty. Been wanting one for a long time and planning for him to go into the 72G when I do the clean out of the 30G. Just still need to make sure he and the Clown Loaches will be okay together.

Will be definitely some fish groups moving around when I get first to the 30G and then the 72G.

Last edited:
Betta is worse. Treating now with antibiotics.

Did all the water changes for
65% 72G
5 G 12G White Edge
2G 12G black Edge shrimp
30G Waterbox 10G-5G 1 day, 5G the next

Topped off the 50G SW I haven't put up for sale yet.
Topped off the 5G snails and plants.

Also found my thought to be deceased Rabbit snail big baby alive and cleaning the glass. When moving the shrimp from their holding bucket, it looked like there was nothing in the shell, but thankfully threw it into the tank. It's the one hatched in my tank from the parents' mating. So, extra happy to see him alive.

Sad about the Betta. Fingers crossed.

Betta is worse. Treating now with antibiotics.

Did all the water changes for
65% 72G
5 G 12G White Edge
2G 12G black Edge shrimp
30G Waterbox 10G-5G 1 day, 5G the next

Topped off the 50G SW I haven't put up for sale yet.
Topped off the 5G snails and plants.

Also found my thought to be deceased Rabbit snail big baby alive and cleaning the glass. When moving the shrimp from their holding bucket, it looked like there was nothing in the shell, but thankfully threw it into the tank. It's the one hatched in my tank from the parents' mating. So, extra happy to see him alive.

Sad about the Betta. Fingers crossed.
Popped on the forum today, wanted to say sorry about your betta Autumn:( is it fin rot he's got? Or do you think it's developed into something worse? Poor guy, I hope he improves for you.

Thank you. Very fast moving fin rot, he's lost about a 1/3 of his fins in jus 3 days! Using medicated flakes and going to add antibiotic medication tn the water. I have to go purchase it tonight after work. Quite alarming.

Creamsicle is still with us. His tail started healing with just the antibiotic flake food. Then after the treatment time, started regular food and in 2 days was getting frilled at the edges. :(

So back to the treatment, may try a different medicated food.

Today when I got home from work is when I noticed the raggedy tail again.

I had to remove the 7 Rummynose from the 12G White Edge to go to their new beautiful home with 17 other Rummynose Tetras. They will be so very happy!.

But I had to tear up the entire tank and do a in-tank rinse of the substrate. Because of a time frame issue, not enough time to remove the whole substrate.

All the plants and 2 Super Red Pleco babies and my Dwarf Orange Crayfish are in 2 buckets. Will try and treat the plants with Excel as there was some algae.

At the end of cleaning out the 12G Edge, there were the 2 recently moved from the black edge, Pygmy Cories and 3 Chili Rasboras. The 6 baby Super Red Ancistrus and the CPO. I added my young orange rabbit snail born in my tank, which is now nearing 2 inches. I had planned to move Creamsicle out of there to a different tank, but when I saw his tail issue flare up, I decided to put him back there.

The lfs had ordered me 6-12 Chilis but only 5 lived. It seems after adding the 5 to my tank I lost 2 of those. I am about over with dealing with these for a while. So much cost and it is hard to get them to to survive, they are so delicate in the transition.

Got some live Daphnia and hope to get into an outdoor bowl patio pond or tank. Need to buy some Spirulina to feed them.

It's that season again of planning rearranging of the fish. Hoping I can get a better long term plan figured out. Failed to implement some ideas due to fish not compatible in the other size tanks.

One fish I am really enjoying is the Pencilfish breeding. Wondering if I should have them in a more peaceful tank and see if I can get more babies. Or not worry about it right now. I am looking at moving them to the 12G if I don't get a new batch of shrimp. Have a guy wanting to buy a dozen CRS. We'll see if he decides and buys.

Thankful to get a working laptop, just hasn't been the same since the other one died.

I've been watching the Mrs. heard her kids around:

Attachments

• p2_fry.jpg
    p2_fry.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 25
Yesterday, did the 72G pwc 65%.

Later that evening and as I went by the tank to close the shade, it was noticeably warmer on the bowfront glass than usual. Like a warming pad.

I paused and noticed heat like a sauna coming from the glass. Usually, it is a little warm next to the big 4' glass.

Checked the water and WOW, it was toasty. Fish were heavy breathing.

Added an air bubbler.

The little bobbing thermometer was broken / cracked. Grabbed the other thermometer and it gave me an obviously incorrect reading. The stick-on glass thermometer tab was off the chart. Tried to get a reading from an also not quite working correctly handheld thermo checker. I guess it was in on the cabinet because it wasn't working right. The working one was somewhere near the BBQ, according to DH.

Didn't have enough time to look. It was really hot maybe 100ish F I thought 92F, but if we are 98.6~ it was even warmer, like a lower warm temp hot tub. Opened up the lids to vent and unplugged one heater. But then in moving it, saw the one next to it was still "ON". So got that one off.

I lost at least 2 fish a Gourami and maybe the SAE. Found the degraded bodies. They had passed earlier. Not sure how long this has been going on.

Drained down about 1/3 and started a 1-2 hour process of getting the water temp a little cooler, and allow it to return to the ~80F it normally is at. I am so sad that the little fish were suffering.

Had just last week, walked past an electronic digital controller at the lfs. Wish I would have grabbed it.

Planning to get a controller for that tank. Not sure what to do with the smaller, equally at-risk tanks. Tank is back to a normal temperature.

This heater is a Fluval 100W submersible heater. I think it is the newer one I bought. It was sitting next to the other Fluval lower Watt heater in the tank. :(

Creamsicle is mending again. Tail looking better.

:nono:

Keeping along with the pwc, still need to do the shrimp tank 12G Black.

So a big surprise, was a gift of 7 Ember Tetras and 3 Hillstream Loaches for my tanks. DD was in South Denver and talking to a SW store which suggested Neptunes. We had been there before, but it is out of the way of our normal traversing and so she went there and picked up a few fish. Which I had input via phone. :)

Nearly had a couple Vampire shrimp, Atya Gabonensis, but they were $20 each so we skipped those.

Checked to get Microdevario Kubotai aka Neon Green Kubotai/ Rasbora, or Sundadanio Axelrodi Neon Blue (or Green) Rasbora, but they didn't have any.

Added the Embers to the 12G White Edge. They can hang out with the Chili Rasboras. There at least 4 more of these guys in my 72G, so Next time I am messing around in there I will see if I can catch them.

The Hillstream Loaches are for the 72G as it has the blasting FX5 to give a great flow.

They all are alive today so, so far so good. I was scared at first, because I initially missed her call and was working in the yard. When I called back she told me she was having the employee pick me out a couple bags of fish (good with shrimp) and I would have a surprise, :eek: .

Laughing... She then told me she'd be at the store in a little bit and tell me what they were suggesting! That made me feel better, not panicked.

Very nice surprise, lol.

Cool! Hillstreams Autumn, I've 4 in my tank had them for 8mth and love them! Great busy little guy's. You'll enjoy them.

Cool! Hillstreams Autumn, I've 4 in my tank had them for 8mth and love them! Great busy little guy's. You'll enjoy them.

Thank you. Have been wanting them for quite some time. Had one for a little while before a many years ago tank pH crash disaster. Had been planning to get more before that. But just didn't get more after that.

Presently they are scurrying around cleaning my glass. (y)

Enjoying feeding the fish and been trying to reduce the amount of food, since I was pretty much overfeeding all of them, (except the random snails tank and the shrimp tank).

Also trying to keep the lights' photo period lower hours. So far seems better in regard to the algae.

It seems all the 6 healthy Ember Tetras made it. Can't count 7 yet, there are 3 Chili Rasbora and they move around quite a bit mixing and seemingly similar size, but they are getting larger now so will be able to tell soon.

There are at least 2 Hillstream Loaches in the big tank, at least that only seen verified 2 at a time. Possible still 3 but not verified.

Thinking of changing the 30G to a cool water tank.

k5mow, LOVE to hear about new tanks--maybe post a picture!

Jake, such a wonderful apistogramma with her babies! I never even considered an apisto before, but I adopted one a few weeks ago from someone who was moving out of the area. I am in love! Such a smart, sociable little fish. She comes and asks for a snack or some attention every time I am nearby.

Autumn, so sorry to hear about your heating disaster! I lost most of my fish last winter during an extended blackout, so I know how terrible you must feel. I have actually been looking at generators, but they are so expensive! But then, so is replacing all this delicate life. I'm so happy to hear that Creamsicle recovered! I bought a skinny little gray betta at the LFS, and he has turned a beautiful, silvery, pale blue. He is very shy, though, and not nearly as adventurous as nearly every other betta I've ever had. When I first put him in the tank, he swam into a school of tetras, panicked, and hurled himself nose first into some sand between two rocks, where he hid for some time. He then burrowed/hid in the carpeting plants for several days and then spent the next four doing a repetitive swim across just a small portion of the tank. Yesterday was a big day for him, because he finally discovered the aquabridge and explored some new tank areas. He is clearly not the adventurous type by nature, but he is coming along.

Along with the apisto, I was lucky to adopt a school of ember tetras, a school of pygmy tetras, and a school of emerald eye rasboras, along with a bunch of plants I am trying hard to keep alive. They also came with a single neon tetra, so of course I had to buy some friends for him. I also bought some kubotai rasboras, and they are absolutely gorgeous in the planted tank--I hope you do find them soon! Finally, I got a great deal on some mature Congo tetras--flowy and colorful in the larger setup. I am stopping now!

Sad news is that a red honey gourami bloated up quickly and died the other day. I have no idea why. Nobody else seems affected, but the water bridge seems very empty now, since he had sort of claimed it, and apisto and betta don't use it very much. I actually see ember tetras up there now on a fairly regular basis.

Good to see everyone. Happy fishkeeping. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom