What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots! I moved 4 fancy goldfish and 2 dojo loaches from a 75 g to a 125 g where other goldfish live. Then I moved several angelfish, 4 pearl gouramis, and some GloFish to the 75g. Then the goldfish boys would not leave a girl Goldie alone, so I had to set up a 20g for her.

Fish in the 30G Waterbox are looking healthier after their deworming treatment. Will be doing the follow up treatment in just about a week.

12G is looking good.

The 72G bowfront, just needs another water change and some cleaning of the glass, maybe will have enough time to do the filter too.

One thing I was thinking is that the green algae that grows under the light changes the color of the light for the plants, causing additional brown algae, I cleaned one half of the top last week, it is 2 pieces. This tank has been a problem since I moved almost 2 years ago. Was doing great for about 7 years.

Still also in the back of my mind is using CO2. Which would likely help. But I haven't actually used it before, read all about it, but don't want to attempt for about 6 months as I will have to be away from home a bunch of times. And do not want to be gone trying to expect someone at home to know all about how to deal with any problems which could happen in a new / newer system. :/

Would love to get the fish moved around, maybe next week I will finally have time.

Always something to keep one occupied.

Guilty as charged, Colin. Someone gave me an 11” common pleco. Love at first sight. So now there is a pleco tank: clowns, blue plantoms & rhinos.

I actually have a pond, installed by the original owner of this house. He had koi & took them when he moved. The second owner put in some cool plants. But I like seeing my goldfish swim swimming around in the kitchen 125 g. Some are blue & awesome. Maybe I will move the larger varieties to the pond someday.

Right now the pond’s frozen on top.

Last edited:
@Jacky12, Wait until the weather warms up and then put the goldfish outdoors in the pond for a few weeks, then bring them back inside. They will breed in the pond and you can pick out some nice ones to keep and get rid of the rest.

Overall week wrap up. Been keeping after the algae and dosing CO2 Booster and feeding some Ferts to the tanks. Cleaned a bunch of algae from the inside glass of the 72G.

Moved 2 female Japan Blue Endlers to the 12G so maybe they will have a chance to have babies which will live. The Rainbow fish probably have been eating all the babies, the last 5 months. Or the Wadai Tetra pair. They all act like they never have ever had a meal.

I counted 16 Sterbai Cories in the 30G also. I need to get them moved. I know I lost 2 in the past 5-6 months since getting them, but there should be around 20-22. So hoping they were hiding somewhere.

Not had time to change the fish around in the tanks yet.

Going to start the deworming treatment in the 72G an the 2nd round in the 30G.

Had a chance to go to ReefStock Denver Sunday. And oh wow was it nice and full of goodies and deals. Only got to go for a few hours but it was a good time to go!!!

20% off of a Sicce voyager nano 1000 stream pump from MC Aquatics.

A bunch of samples from Sera.

Got a big list of frags. No raffle prizes though.

White (said to be a pink tip) maybe damaged Octospawn free
Hammer purple yellowish edge green tips 30
Rock Flower Anemone - Green/ yellow center, different green middle with green and white & gray curly edges 20
Rock Flower Anemone - Green with white mouth and frilly edges 20
12 assorted Snails - Astraea, Nerite, Cerith, Turbo clean up crew. Plus a small, maybe Slipper snail, but probably a Stomatella snail which looks so very fun sliding around. $25.

$5. each
Leather
Hollywood Stunner Chalice
Purple chalice with golden eyes and gold edges with higher light
Red orange Monti
Neon yellow green Candy Cane 2 head
Montipora orange yellow kinda gold, supposed to be plating but it is chunky looking, like a tiny mountain range not a flat plate??? Maybe an orange Monti Setosa will have to more checking. It was a color of coral I didn't have yet.
purple blue mushroom - can't find it though

Last edited:
Just added some Amazon Frogbit for my latest experiment. Duckweed is slow growing despite fertiliser addition. I want to see if the frogbit responds more positively. It is supposed to do better in water with lower amounts of dissolved solids. After that I’m going to add some dolomite to see how certain the plants respond.

Other than that no changes. Still just top off with RO. Fish are happier than ever.

Just added some Amazon Frogbit for my latest experiment. Duckweed is slow growing despite fertiliser addition. I want to see if the frogbit responds more positively. It is supposed to do better in water with lower amounts of dissolved solids. After that I’m going to add some dolomite to see how certain the plants respond.

Other than that no changes. Still just top off with RO. Fish are happier than ever.

Have you ever tried Salvinia Minima? I really liked it when I had it. Bigger than Duckweed and I believe it is smaller than Frog Bit. Fun leaves, crinkly texture and will color up little with more light.

I have tried it in the past. Did very well in a co2 and fert setup.

Have you ever heard of the Duckweed index?

No!? Do you have time to share a thread about it? Or I can look it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Enjoying looking at my little SW nano. Just noticed that the big snail must have knocked over one of the frags.

The little white octospawn is extending it's tentacles or whatever you call them! It looks like a frilly lace.

In the 12G Edge, I see lots of Cherry shrimp but not seeing the Blue Bolts. Only one was neat adult size and withb2 others of a notable size, but the others were pretty small. So fingers crossed that they are hiding inside the long Cholla wood or under the moss and twigs and plants which there are many nearly covering the substrate. Hoping!
I see lots

No!? Do you have time to share a thread about it? Or I can look it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoying looking at my little SW nano. Just noticed that the big snail must have knocked over one of the frags.

The little white octospawn is extending it's tentacles or whatever you call them! It looks like a frilly lace.

In the 12G Edge, I see lots of Cherry shrimp but not seeing the Blue Bolts. Only one was neat adult size and withb2 others of a notable size, but the others were pretty small. So fingers crossed that they are hiding inside the long Cholla wood or under the moss and twigs and plants which there are many nearly covering the substrate. Hoping!

I see lots

It was coined by DW1305 on UKAPS

Basically it is a nutrient deficiency indicator. Because floating plants are at the highest PAR level and have 400ppm co2, their requirements for nutrients should be far in excess of any plants submerged below them.

So if the floating plants show no signs of deficiency it is almost a guarantee that the plants underwater have enough nutrients.

If however the floating plants show a deficiency then there is going to be a lack of that nutrient for all plants. So you can control nutrient input by watching the floating plants. The other bonus is that because they grow so fast, you are not waiting a long time to check for improvement.

Duckweed however prefers harder water so amazon frogbit is better for soft water tanks like mine.

I’ve been struggling to grow duckweed lately so switched to frogbit. It may be that I have enough nutrients but the duckweed doesn’t like the softer water. So if my frogbit explodes in growth then I’ll know i can hold off on ferts.

Pickin...

(note, this should be sung to the tune...Dreaming, I'm always Dreaming)

Pickin', I'm always pickin'
Dreamin', the snails will be gone
Searchin', I'm always searchin'
Hopin' someday I'll find
Someway, somehow to be rid of these pests
Someway to find no more bladder snails but until then
Well, I'll keep on pickin'
Keep right on pickin'
Dreamin' till my dreamin' comes true

I think you can tell what I did today! I know I'll never be rid of them, but one can dream. I have assassins, but they can't do it all, so I end up pickin'

Dream on, JJenna. Perhaps someday you’ll meet a Dream Lover, so you don’t have to dream alone. The song you referenced was #1 in the UK ~1960. Mine was a US pop hit around the same time. I ain’t that old, I just read a lot.

Last edited:
I spent the day playing with Old Ted. Ted is a compound microscope I found on sale at Amazon. Overall, he is a good boy for the price. He confirmed my single fish in the isolation tank has Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. The large protozoa with the horseshoe nucleus was easy to ID. I took scrapings from the tank bottom & prepared several slides. This poor fish has developed a secondary bacterial infection, as far as i can tell, & I would not take a skin scraping or excise a fin sample & further stress her. A cell phone attachment was included; it looked so cool and simple from the video, but it failed me on two different cells phones. I also saw the tomite stage inside the tomont.

Attachments

• TED.jpg
    TED.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
(note, this should be sung to the tune...Dreaming, I'm always Dreaming)

Pickin', I'm always pickin'
Dreamin', the snails will be gone
Searchin', I'm always searchin'
Hopin' someday I'll find
Someway, somehow to be rid of these pests
Someway to find no more bladder snails but until then
Well, I'll keep on pickin'
Keep right on pickin'
Dreamin' till my dreamin' comes true

I think you can tell what I did today! I know I'll never be rid of them, but one can dream. I have assassins, but they can't do it all, so I end up pickin'

If your tank is the appropriate size and you like them, try Kuhli or Yoyo loaches.

Been more than a minute since I popped in here!

Life has been more than busy.

Still have 4 tanks plus.

72G Bowfront is ruled by the Clown Loaches. I think 8. Growing bigger all the time but thankfully pretty slowly.

Today did a 50% pwc and added in the Sterbai Cories from the 30G There are 18, but I missed one in the 30G and he'll just have to live with the ancient Bronze Cories till I have more time. Still some misc. fish from adoptions, and about 8 Wadai Tetras. Some Glass Cats and about 7 or 8 Cardinals maybe a couple Neons. And got a handful more (I think 8) of the Giant Silver Hatchet fish to go with the other 4 grown ups at the CAS spring auction. A pair of Boesemani Rainbows Melanotaenia and an albino pair of Millennium Red Rainbow Glossolepis pseudoincisus.

Did a ~30% pwc on the Waterbox 30G added in 6 Black Emperor Tetras I bought for like $8 or $10 from the auction because nobody bid on them.
Also a pair of Platinum Mollies.

They were together in the QT tank, until today and I moved them to the 30G. I had initially planned to try to transition the Mollies to SW tank but ended up too busy to attend to that. Last week I found 4 babies but had to leave for 4 days and found just 2 when I got home, which kicked the stock moves into gear.

Not too sure, but they could be from the Emperor Tetras, because they are blackish and not white. So I will watch and wait, and hope they grow up. They are now by themselves in the 12G spare black Edge tank.

12G white Edge, nano fish tank has a few shrimp Blue Bolt and Red Cherry, a young Red BN Pleco, about 7 Ember Tetras, a few Neon Green Kubotai (bought a bunch but lost some) And a few Dwarf Hatchets (lost a few and would like to get more next time I get to the store). Still a few Pygmy Cories left.

Separate thing is the 5G SW nano. Couple months ago bought a used Innovative Marine Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama 20G Drop Off tank when the SW nano was doing great. (That name is a mouth full.)

I changed the lighting program and lost most of my good frags. I still have a few mice things and never did buy fish, was waiting for the change over. But didn't get it set up yet. Just sitting on it's stand in the LR empty.

Lost the enthusiasm when the corals died / couldn't save most of them. But my lovely (hated by some) pink Pulsing Xenia didn't die, hahaha, so I need to make more room for it. Maybe going to add the water to the Abyss today and just run with a few pieces of rock till I decide how to build the actual rock design.

Busy fish tank day here.

Recently purchased a 220 G tank that has a complex sump system. This is for my goldfish and dojo loaches. Two dojos went over the right weir top to one of 8 media compartments below, so I spent a while securing the tops with plastic canvas.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 12
Recently purchased a 220 G tank that has a complex sump system. This is for my goldfish and dojo loaches. Two dojos went over the right weir top to one of 8 media compartments below, so I spent a while securing the tops with plastic canvas.

They love to have a good time! Having a weir is a bit of a pain at times. I bought some guards for mine (which are small because they are smaller for a small tank but some are available larger sized)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqagadget-fishguard-mid-full-size-innovative-marine.html

That looks so nice to have such a large tank and so much room for the fish!!!

Those look good, thanks. I’ll search for larger ones; my job is sloppy & the fantails are complaining. I used a bunch of zip ties to secure the plastic canvas.

Back
Top Bottom