Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #6961
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added 3 different types of tetras. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407615069.147467.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	246130

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #6962
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feel like i post almost the same thing in here every week. I did my usual weekly water changes and a massive trim in my Kuhli tank. I fasted my little fishies yesterday. It isn't often that i can go a whole day without feeding my fish. Usually i can walk past them in the morning without caving but by nightfall their hungry looks make me give them a mercy feeding. Anyway after 1 day without food I had both of my two incredibly shy Plecos show themselves this morning when i made my first rounds of the tanks. They came to the front of the tank and gave me pleading looks like my comets usually do. I usually manage to spot one half hidden Pleco at a time through the week week but rarely see two out and about at once. Maybe i'll feel less guilty about starving my fish when i try to fast them this week.

And i also had a bit of a shock this week when my real estate sent me a bill for $1251 for three months water usage. They had written a little note explaining that i had accrued this bill for excess water use due to fish tanks. I was like WTF i have a lot of tanks but not THAT many. I change 60-90 litres a week, more often 60 and once a month i do a bigger WC. All of that waste water is used either on my herb garden or to flush the toilet so it's not wasted by my standards anyway. And i was annoyed because there is a single water meter for 4 flats/houses so they couldn't say it was me with any accuracy anyway. I am the only person in any of these flats that is not retired or a stay at home mum with 3 kids who also stay at home. By my logic i would think i would use less water than any of these other three flats when you take into account the 9 hours/day 5, days/week that i am not home washing hands, flushing toilets or using water in any of the 100 other ways i would if i weren't at work. I've lived in houses where i watered big gardens and ran sprinklers in summer and never went over a $50 water bill (which made me cut back on the watering of my gardens). I actually spoke to my LFS who run about 5 times as many tanks as i do and they were shocked and said they would back me up if i needed support fighting this bill (they would suffer too if i had to pay $5000 a year just to put water in my tanks because i'd be keeping Bettas in cups from here on). Anyway i also spoke to my neghbours and found out that one of them has a fairly big leak coming from her hot water system that they (real estate) have not fixed.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #6963
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank cut me for 12 staples in my arm today .
Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #6964
Aquarium Advice Freak

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifusion View Post

Oh my goodness are you ok????

I'm heading back home now, I'll see my lovely fishies in about 4 hours so excited haven't seen them in person in over a month

Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #6965
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
I feel like i post almost the same thing in here every week. I did my usual weekly water changes and a massive trim in my Kuhli tank. I fasted my little fishies yesterday. It isn't often that i can go a whole day without feeding my fish. Usually i can walk past them in the morning without caving but by nightfall their hungry looks make me give them a mercy feeding. Anyway after 1 day without food I had both of my two incredibly shy Plecos show themselves this morning when i made my first rounds of the tanks. They came to the front of the tank and gave me pleading looks like my comets usually do. I usually manage to spot one half hidden Pleco at a time through the week week but rarely see two out and about at once. Maybe i'll feel less guilty about starving my fish when i try to fast them this week.

And i also had a bit of a shock this week when my real estate sent me a bill for $1251 for three months water usage. They had written a little note explaining that i had accrued this bill for excess water use due to fish tanks. I was like WTF i have a lot of tanks but not THAT many. I change 60-90 litres a week, more often 60 and once a month i do a bigger WC. All of that waste water is used either on my herb garden or to flush the toilet so it's not wasted by my standards anyway. And i was annoyed because there is a single water meter for 4 flats/houses so they couldn't say it was me with any accuracy anyway. I am the only person in any of these flats that is not retired or a stay at home mum with 3 kids who also stay at home. By my logic i would think i would use less water than any of these other three flats when you take into account the 9 hours/day 5, days/week that i am not home washing hands, flushing toilets or using water in any of the 100 other ways i would if i weren't at work. I've lived in houses where i watered big gardens and ran sprinklers in summer and never went over a $50 water bill (which made me cut back on the watering of my gardens). I actually spoke to my LFS who run about 5 times as many tanks as i do and they were shocked and said they would back me up if i needed support fighting this bill (they would suffer too if i had to pay $5000 a year just to put water in my tanks because i'd be keeping Bettas in cups from here on). Anyway i also spoke to my neghbours and found out that one of them has a fairly big leak coming from her hot water system that they (real estate) have not fixed.
BIG Yikes...

Quote:
Double BIG YIKES!!!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #6966
Aquarium Advice Addict

How exactly did you get cut??

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #6967
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo one View Post
How exactly did you get cut??

Taking a tank apart, a piece of glass broke and my arm slipped right onto the jagged part... Not fun...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #6968
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Taking a tank apart, a piece of glass broke and my arm slipped right onto the jagged part... Not fun...
Very scary

I watched my fish and my SW Hermits and snails. Last week I threw in some Zebra Nerite shells (long deceased inhabitants) that had been in my FW, for the hermit crabs to have some bigger shells, but instead a little Nassarius Vibex (a sand stirring meat eating snail) popped out of the substrate when it smelled food and into the empty space inside the shell. I could only see its airtube or snorkle looking thing and it took it about 5 minutes for it to figure out how to get out of the shell. Had a good laugh. I was amused, but my DH didn't even think it was humorous. :/

One of the Blue Leg Hermits (SW) took over a 2" long Florida Cerith shell which is conical and pointy on the end. Just looks so funny to see it bumping that shell into everything because it is soooooo long. Here is a pic, you can't really see the Hermit well in the pic but you can see his crazy long shell, he's pretty small inside it!

Here you can see the shells, but the one on the far right side was open side down, positioned as if it was trailing along the substrate.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #6969
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Pretty quiet around here

Big fish day for me, got some SW critters a red star, a Scooter Blenny, and a Royal Gramma.

SW- Sold a Xenia and decorative algae rock and some snails.

Then for the most exciting thing, I got a Golden Nugget Pleco L-018 he seems friendly and curious not really shy...and a new Angelfish.

Here are the pics

New Angelfish

Did pwc on the SW QT and the DT.

Community Rules

Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #6970
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got back from a 5 day vacation yesterday, water changes are in order! Everyone survived- dropped in some broccoli before I left and my neighbor fed the goldfish once while I was gone. Visited the national aquarium in Baltimore and toured DC. Got plenty of pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com