Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #7011
Aquarium Advice Addict

Started number 5

Fish are friends not food!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #7012
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gal_nano View Post
Started number 5

Tank number 5

Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #7013
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did pwc on my 6.6G and 12G Shrimp and nano fish Edge tanks and did evap fills on the rest of FW.

The 10 (hoping still 10) little Celestial Pearl Danios are moving into the 12G Edge and that will make ~23. 3-5 of them are going to a friend in a couple weeks.

The remaining fish will be moving into the 72G today, but due to the lower pH in the 72G, there will need to be a bit of a lengthy acclimation. Also hoping to do a pwc on the 72G.

Then the 35G will be empty and I am wondering about making it a SW.

Haven't heard back from dd friends family about taking their tank and FW fish.

SW- My Acan coral finally opened up better today, the new Clowns seem to be doing great, but they are scaring my little Clown Goby. So now it is hiding ALL the time, even when I feed

Need to do pwc on the 15G tank.

My MacroAlgae 5G Chi tank needs a rescape, I am enjoying looking at my little "garden".

I have one little Mushroom that needs some help, something is growing around it and it is NOT a happy camper. So I'll need to do something about that when I do my maintenance.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #7014
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tank

Started another tank with the roots of Chinese Evergreens in the tank. The roots of this land plant take in all forms of nitrogen produced by the dissolving fish wastes and maintain pure water conditions. No water changes needed, just top off the tank weekly to replace the water that's lost to evaporation. Had a similar 30 gallon tank that ran for 2 years with Fancy Guppies. This one is a 55 gallon. Moving toward lower maintenance tanks. So much easier and the fish do as well as in my other tanks that get 50 percent water changes every week or so with the standard aquatic plants.

B
Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #7015
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have the scientific name of the evergreens? Very interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #7016
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Started another tank with the roots of Chinese Evergreens in the tank. The roots of this land plant take in all forms of nitrogen produced by the dissolving fish wastes and maintain pure water conditions. No water changes needed, just top off the tank weekly to replace the water that's lost to evaporation. Had a similar 30 gallon tank that ran for 2 years with Fancy Guppies. This one is a 55 gallon. Moving toward lower maintenance tanks. So much easier and the fish do as well as in my other tanks that get 50 percent water changes every week or so with the standard aquatic plants.

B
Here you are making things easier all the time, and I just keep trying to make them harder

Do you ever have problems with GH build up with low KH in my Colorado water I have to be very careful of unstable levels causing crashes.

I was gifted a Aquafarm Betta tank. Right now it is just holding misc aquatic plants inside as a grow out. I haven't "planted" anything in the top yet. For sure I will use the houseplant Arrowhead, as I have several of these in my "planted bowl"

brennae, you can get these and a few others in the terrarium section in Petco, and they come without any soil on them, it is hit or miss if they have a good selection and if they keep them watered.

I am thinking of some additional plants too. BBradbury, do you already have a thread for these plant names and ifo for this set up can you post it? If not you want to make one?

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #7017
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evergreen Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Do you have the scientific name of the evergreens? Very interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Hello bre...

It's "Aglaonema". Specifically the Cutlass variety. It works the best. Attached is a pic of the latest tank. This one combines the "Ag" plant, Modestum variety and some Hornwort I had too much of from another tank. The Ag plants do well with just room (ambient) light, but I'm using a shop light with a couple of florescent bulbs for the benefit of the Hornwort.

The leaves of the land plant have to be above water with the roots under the water and aerated with an air stone for good nutrient use or the land plant dies. Once the new leaves begin to grow, they'll do fine underwater.

Never a need to test the tank water. The ammonia and nitrite are always "0" and the nitrates are typically in the low 20 ppm range. Provided your plant is large enough. This one is up to the task. A near perfect environment for some Fancy Guppies or other fish that are on the hardy side.

B

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #7018
Aquarium Advice Addict

Land Plants in FW Aquariums

Hello Autumn...

This information is pretty much "old news". Being from northern Colorado too, we likely have similar water sources. Have never had a problem with the water chemistry using the "Ag" plants. I have some of these plants in other tanks too, but the plants are a bit smaller and the the tanks are large, so I still do the water changes. However, with several large plants in a tank, you could skip the water changes. Attached is a pic of another tank. This one does require water changes.

B

[IMG][/IMG].
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #7019
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Only got the Angel moved to the 16G, and the Rainbows moved to the 72G and the CPD to the 12G.

Didn't get around to doing the Cardinals and the 2 Cories from the 35G still to move. So far so good.

The 16G will be the holding area for a week.

Community Rules

Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #7020
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got going on this little bad boy!!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com