Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #7141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fed the Bettas blood worms, Baby Bettas got brine shrimp, puffer had snails, all others got flake. Still got my 6.6g bookshelf, 29g, and 10g just sitting around. Not sure if I want to increase electric bills lol.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #7142
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayi View Post
I emptied my 20, put the substrate back in and put in some new dw. Not sure if I want to tie some moss/anubias to it. I'll post pics once it clears up a bit.

I also threw away a huge clump of plants that were rotting in a bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Thats something i need to do. My ongoing fights with Algae mean i won't try to sell many clippings but i hate to throw them away

I found a decent solution though. I set up a humidi chamber that i plant some trimmings in. It's a simple cracked tank with planter trays filled with potting mix and a sheet of clear plastic as a lid to trap humidity. I upgraded this from 1.25L bottles on a windowsill and it seems to be growing plants pretty well.

I hope you enjoy the rescape on the 20.

I just finished feeding all my tanks. Since i rescaped my Betta tank i enjoy feeding her the most. She used to just surface to attack the food i fed her, but when i feed bloodworms now she attacks them from some hides she has in the tank. It's fun to watch. Shes a bit of a pro at spotting the bloodworm that falls to the floor as well. when i move away from the tank she threads her way through the plants with one eye directly on the tank floor. She really altered the way she behaves when she was put into a tank with better hidey holes.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #7143
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Moved furniture around and changed the stand for the 5G Chi Nano SW and the 12G Edge tank.

Did a 2.5G pwc on the 12G since I had to lift it up to move it, 2 birds with one stone thing.

Pwc on the 5G Chi SW too.

Added my 2.5G Planted vase to the new table with the 12G Edge. Moved the Chi to its own little stand. It looks good for a interim solution. My family member needed the 6' dresser chest :/ I will be moving some of the stuff over to the opposite wall, the "Fish Wall"... when I get more time. Still wondering in the back of my mind about a 72G twin bowfront SW to go with the FW. I think I must be crazy to even think that.

Yesterday I found one of my Koi Angels dead on the bottom of the tank. Parameters are good, no bites or injuries apparent, clear eyes, perfect fins, nice gills, so I think that possibly got startled and knocked out. Don't know if something else is going on so in the morning a big pwc just to make sure we are on good footing and will be watching for anything else.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #7144
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to hear about the loss of your angel, Autumn.

Thanks for all the advice. I think that a break and change were necessary, I would have been really bummed if I had to give up this awesome hobby.

We haven't had any unexplained deaths in the tank since we redid it. We have two guppy fry living in a net in there now they're growing nicely, I think one is getting color.

My betta died about a week ago, I think it was fish TB. I'm definitely going to sterilize a lot because I don't want that to spread. He was hanging on for a long time but he finally lost his fight. He was so strong, every day when I went to feed him he would flare up at me even though he must have been in so much pain because he was lying at the bottom of the tank.

Now I have an empty 2.5 gallon bowfront, what do you think I should put in it? I've got a pretty extensive LFS and there are others too so I can get anything. I saw some pretty high grade RCS when I went yesterday.

Dad redid the lights on the corner tank, it's very bright now. It's so much better you could barely see the bottom before I didn't even know what color the fry developed lol.

Went to the LFS on the way back from sis's doctor appt (yay for bronchitis) and saw a Shellie. The guy didn't even know they still had shellies!! I'm hoping that I might be able to finagle something and get some when they next get stocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #7145
Aquarium Advice Addict

50% change on the 55. Goldies are hibernating cleaned the filter and removed a ton of crap. Literally. Lots of decaying plant matter too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #7146
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Found that the QT has 2 missing fish now, and one with a spot in front of its dorsal fin which I fear is Columnaris.

I have added some calcium, natural (mineral) salt and baking soda and potassium to the tank in part to raise the KH, and to increase the tanks mineral balance, electrolytes available for the fish. I was reading an interesting bunch or articles discussing treatment for Columnaris. And maintaining a stable level of KH. I have a horrible problem with my KH. They also discuss how salt can help overcome the disease, also of course gram negative meds.

The tank was very clean as I had just rinsed the substrate with treated water before the new fish came, and I never had any illness in that tank. So very bummed. Will be trying to get a handle on it. They are some Black and regular Neons, and one really awesome Cory. The Cory is the one I will be watching as I know they don't tolerate high levels of salt. Though I have had fairly high levels in a previous treatment (salt and temp treatment for ich) and the Cories were fine as it was a gradual increase.

Very bummed out about it though. I have 3 little filters on that tank to stay cycled for new tanks, Bettas or what have you. Now they are all messed up. One was brand new and one was going to go into a new tank project I was working on. Wish I woulda moved that one filter before I added new fish...

At least they got a QT tank instead of killing off all my daughter's beautiful fish in her tank. Trying to focus on the positive. Off to search for some meds.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #7147
Aquarium Advice Addict

Slowly thinning out th this big bundle of hydrilla and water weed and planting the surviving/strongest ones.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416010198780.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	255773  
Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #7148
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #7149
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hand feeding puffer fish black mosquito larvae. (Diddy P.)

Although it wasn't today it does happen most days.

See here for pictures,
New fish house
Last page at this time.

Alternatively follow the link to my flickr fishes album.

I think it's the coolest thing.
Diddy P is a Tetraodon Biocellatus (Figure 8 puffer)
He is now 13 months in my care.
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #7150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.
Mostly ,
Was sonic one of your inherited fish, I remember Brutus, it's always a shame when fish die, I mean fish you've looked after! I vaguely remember you taking on some fish from a friend?

Great to hear the developments down under, last time we spoke this was pretty much a dream lying around in pieces.

I'm glad it's all working out, apart from the loss, tip top old chum.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com