Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #7271
Sea Witch

Send a message via Skype™ to MacabreGoblin
I did yet another 50% water change. Currently I'm having some problems with the ammonia levels in my tank, so I'm trying to figure that out and get it back under control before I add any new fish.

29G freshwater tropical community tank
MacabreGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #7272
Aquarium Advice Addict

Almost overfilled one tank because I was on here.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #7273
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
Almost overfilled one tank because I was on here.
Ive done that before... got distracted by aa while I was filling then I heard splashing water and had to think for a second what the sound was before I remembered I was filling the tank... it was raining in the basement.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #7274
Aquarium Advice Regular

I checked the parameters of my 3 tanks and the did my weekly 40% on 2 of them. I alsi added a guppy yo my qt to help with his fin. It could be rot but most likely it was eaten. Poor guy only has half a tail

Sent from a phone.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 AM   #7275
Aquarium Advice Regular

I put java moss in between two pieces of plastic mess, sewed it together and put in a Rubbermaid container with water and a 18watt cfl over it. Hopefully I will eventually have a live background.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #7276
Elephant nose Finatic!

50% clean on my elephant nose tank, algae scrub and rinsed my filter's.
In my 16 gallon I'm not sure if one of my clams is alive? It's sitting open but I can't see anything inside, no smell coming from it but beginning to wonder if it's empty
The other hasn't opened up since putting it in. Going to have to check.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #7277
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
You might want to get a low wattage surface heater for that tank. It will keep a small hole open at the top for gas exchange while drawing only 100w.
The problem with using water flow to keep the surface free of ice is that you can supercool the water in the process. I did that once and the goldfish huddled next to a clay pot and developed a thick slime coat. Once I reduced the flow the slime coat went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
You actually can't super cool water if there is ice on top of the pond. Super cooled water will freeze solid instantly when it comes in contact with ice. The liquid water will only get as low as 32F until the water freezes completely solid.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #7278
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

True. Nothing below 32, makes sense. I have no idea if the temp at the bottom of the tub is the same as at the surface. Perhaps I am applying the rules of a larger body of water where stratification will allow warmer areas to exist in the deeper sections.
I think the water movement, if too much, will be a problem for the fish. In their "hibernation" state they are not metabolizing food and not very active. I created a condition that forced them to swim and that was not a good thing.
I do hope things warm up.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #7279
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
True. Nothing below 32, makes sense. I have no idea if the temp at the bottom of the tub is the same as at the surface. Perhaps I am applying the rules of a larger body of water where stratification will allow warmer areas to exist in the deeper sections.
I think the water movement, if too much, will be a problem for the fish. In their "hibernation" state they are not metabolizing food and not very active. I created a condition that forced them to swim and that was not a good thing.
I do hope things warm up.

Mine is a tub so I don't have that nice insulator called the ground so the water moves with the air temp. It odds next to the house so it picks up some heat off of that. My pump picks up from the bottom and has aT fitting up top. There isn't a current unless they're on the surface. I have no filter though, so we'll see how this goes in the spring, have to cycle again basically from scratch.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #7280
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can DIY a filter. There are a ton of vids. http://youtu.be/Dpt9BqpE9RU

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com