Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-31-2015, 02:01 AM   #7361
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Ulmina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 75
Added shrimp and a Nerite snail to the Betta bowl

It's looking really good in there, IMHO, & other than 1 or 2 more Cherry Red shrimp, I am finished fooling around with my Betta's bowl! Poor guy, mom has been adding things for the last week, but up until the Whisper 3i filter, he was taking it in stride. He's not super happy about even this tiny filter, so when I get my nano 5 gal natural planted tank done, I may move the snail and shrimp out of there and remove the 3i. It's really true that they are not the best swimmers, and it bothers me watching him struggle! You should see the look on his face when I feed him and his food starts swirling overhead in a fast (for him) circle. (Part of me laughs because it IS a bit humorous watching him work out the trajectory & then strike a piece of food.) I am waiting for some on-line orders to arrive before I can begin work on the 5 gal (stuff my LFSs didn't carry or have now), and if the Betta hasn't grown 'swimming muscle' by the time it's ready for fish, that's what I will do. He was fine with no filter, just plants, zeolite, and water changes.

Do any of you have a filter with a Betta? How does yours do with it?
__________________

__________________
Ulmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:13 AM   #7362
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
creno9210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
50 water change in my 29.
Took some things out of it to put into my 35 for the turtle, soon to add guppys and shrimps!

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps
__________________

__________________
29 gal~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater.
35 gal~ RES, feeder goldfish.
creno9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #7363
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ayi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 474
What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Added black lava rock to make a slope in the back corner of my tank.
__________________
Ayi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:01 AM   #7364
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Ulmina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 75
Livestock

Quote:
Originally Posted by creno9210 View Post
50 water change in my 29.
Took some things out of it to put into my 35 for the turtle, soon to add guppys and shrimps!

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Your tanks seem really lightly stocked. Are you just getting these going, or are you a Master of Restraint?
__________________
Ulmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #7365
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9,961
Did a big WC (75%) while removing as much BGA in the process. Started day 1 of an erythromycin regimen to rid the tank of cyanobacteria (mostly on the substrate). 3-4 more days left.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #7366
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NigelK8485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmina View Post
Your tanks seem really lightly stocked. Are you just getting these going, or are you a Master of Restraint?

...which of those tanks seem lightly stocked to you? Giant danios alone would fill up a 29 gallon. A red eared slider is messy and going to need a 55 gallon...


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
NigelK8485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #7367
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Ricky 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
d

Good news is there are actually a whole bunch of Angel Babies that are still alive after day 1 on their own. They must have been falling into the rocks on the bottom of the tank when I swooshed them into the water, (and it has lots of moss) so maybe I actually caught mom before she got too many of them. Can hardly see the babies, but hoping from the loose count of the little guys maybe about 20-25.

That is a decent amount to start out raising. We will see if, and when I can raise them past the little tiny stage to the fin stage and I will feel like I have hit a mark! Have to admit, I am hopeful and excited to see the colors and patterns if we get that far... I have been feeding them often appx 3 times today, and maybe one bedtime feeding

Fed frozen foods BBS to new Angel babies, also to all other tanks Brine Shrimp, and Mysis, and found some special Ken's flake food and used that last night and today to change it up a bit. Don't normally feed flake.

The Anubias is getting a super cleaning by the snail teams, MTS and Mystery. After they are finished we will get it back into the 72G for the next spawn.
Wow that's great news, would love to see some pics later when they grow a little......
__________________
missing my fish.......
Ricky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #7368
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmina View Post
It's looking really good in there, IMHO, & other than 1 or 2 more Cherry Red shrimp, I am finished fooling around with my Betta's bowl! Poor guy, mom has been adding things for the last week, but up until the Whisper 3i filter, he was taking it in stride. He's not super happy about even this tiny filter, so when I get my nano 5 gal natural planted tank done, I may move the snail and shrimp out of there and remove the 3i. It's really true that they are not the best swimmers, and it bothers me watching him struggle! You should see the look on his face when I feed him and his food starts swirling overhead in a fast (for him) circle. (Part of me laughs because it IS a bit humorous watching him work out the trajectory & then strike a piece of food.) I am waiting for some on-line orders to arrive before I can begin work on the 5 gal (stuff my LFSs didn't carry or have now), and if the Betta hasn't grown 'swimming muscle' by the time it's ready for fish, that's what I will do. He was fine with no filter, just plants, zeolite, and water changes.

Do any of you have a filter with a Betta? How does yours do with it?
I run a small bubble filter in my Betta tank. He seems fine with it. It actually annoys me more with the sound at night than it does him so i added a 3 way valve so i can reduce the bubbles at night by allowing some air to escape before it reaches the filter. You can build baffles to reduce the flow of most filters. I have no idea about what the whisper 3i but google DIY bottle baffles and you might find some method to reduce the disturbance the filter outlet causes to the water. I used to run a small HOB filter that i had to make a bottle baffle for. usually it's as simple as creating a way to spread out the area that the water leaves the filter and returns to the tank.
__________________
20g rescape.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-295700.html
35g journal. Abandoned due to Comet gardeners
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #7369
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ayi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 474
Water changes son all tanks todayClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422728330.490139.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	262862
__________________
Ayi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #7370
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 7,532
Ricky1 - will get a few pics if they little guys cooperate and are still hanging in there tonight. I hope I can get the close ups clear enough to see them. They look a lot like a newborn guppy right now. Not too exciting yet.
__________________

__________________

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.