Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #7391
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Wait you put $25 worth of live shrimp in with your betta. For food or just to have rhe shrimp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For tank mates, not food. Am I stupid??!!

The first two were fine for a few days, so yesterday I got more, including two Orange Bees I was extremely pleased with and a HUGE RCS that may have been a pregnant female but not sure.

I will wait to cry until I get this tear-down done.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #7392
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmina View Post

The first two were fine for a few days, so yesterday I got more, including two Orange Bees I was extremely pleased with and a HUGE RCS that may have been a pregnant female but not sure.

Never said you where stupid. Just didn't know the shrimps purpose

Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #7393
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmina View Post

Sounds like you want to "punish" your betta. Why take it out on him by not feeding him? It's not a kid or a dog, it's a fish. You can't train or reason with it not to do what it's going to do. Bettas are known to attack or eat shrimp.

How big of a tank are we talking about? How much hiding space? Did you find any evidence that the shrimp are dead, like shells or remains?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #7394
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Sounds like you want to "punish" your betta. Why take it out on him by not feeding him? It's not a kid or a dog, it's a fish. You can't train or reason with it not to do what it's going to do. Bettas are known to attack or eat shrimp.

How big of a tank are we talking about? How much hiding space? Did you find any evidence that the shrimp are dead, like shells or remains?

If he had eaten them all, I figured he wouldn't NEED to eat for 2 days! But all is well -- Found the Shrimp!! Two are VERY small and have little color. I didn't get a perfect count, but I have at least five. No remains were found so I will try to get a better count on the way back in. The rebuild is done, the shrimp are in an aerated tub clinging to a moss ball, and the water is heating back up. I took pics for you guys who, like me, have never put dirt in a tank. What I can say is I'm very happy I have proper substrate coming for my 5 gal rectangle project, but it really wasn't as bad as it could have been, either.

To answer one question, this is a 2 gallon drum bowl with a moderately heavy planting and a "shrimp tunnel" (curved piece of coco shell with plants tied to the top of it. Also, this Betta is Very Well Fed. I probably over-feed him, but I let him eat as much as he will in 3 or 4 minutes. If he is still looking for food, I keep giving it to him in that period of time. I'm Italian, what can I say. No one goes hungry in an Italian home.

Thanks for the interactions, every one! Will post an album of the build when it's all downloaded & resized in a little while here. Meanwhile, I'm starving, need to pee, and sure could use a glass of wine right about now!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #7395
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did a lot today. I cut my spraybar down from 5ft to 4, increased the size and number of holes. Emptied about 25 gallons of water onto my floor when I forgot to put the hose clamp back on. After cleaning that up I set up a second canister and ran a UV light from the outlet spending about 2.5 hours figuring out how to get it all attached and flowing correctly. Finally got it all hooked up and it's working great!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #7396
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
I did a lot today. I cut my spraybar down from 5ft to 4, increased the size and number of holes. Emptied about 25 gallons of water onto my floor when I forgot to put the hose clamp back on. After cleaning that up I set up a second canister and ran a UV light from the outlet spending about 2.5 hours figuring out how to get it all attached and flowing correctly. Finally got it all hooked up and it's working great!

Was the floor carpet?!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #7397
Aquarium Advice Addict

Luckily no. I hate carpeted floors so it's tile and just a rug.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #7398
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats one of the better floors to have a leak on. Carpet and hardwood floors are probably the 2 worst.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #7399
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bought Squiggles, the squiggly BN.
And platies, and a swordtail for my cousins, and another albino BN. Yes, I know, only keep one unless they are paired. I'm hoping they will pair, but until then they are pretty small.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #7400
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Added sand, planted my new Blyxa, and pushed some flourish tabs to help get the new plants strong!

--> 36g rescape --> 36g Rescape to a Species Tank

🐟 Diana Lee 🐠
😎 the St. Augustine Redhead 😎

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com