Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #7421
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
Where? I'm in the Baltimore/Harford/Cecil area. Sorry, I try not to be too specific online. My go to LFS is House of Tropicals, they are freakishly knowledgeable, and Tom's Tropicals is okay but smaller.

Yay MD! I'm in upper Montgomery County but used to frequent Aquarium Center years ago when it was still awesome. Always looking for new stores to check out much to the dismay of the spouse

Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #7422
Aquarium Advice Regular

Set up the 5 g & moved the shrimp - SO HAPPY!!

*Please at least see bottom - Question at end.
The shrimp I found at the 11th hour yesterday after the 4 hour rebuild did not survive the trauma he went through just before I saw it. I left its body in there because I heard shrimp will eat dead ones. This morning when I saw the body again, I thought I had lost another shrimp & freaked out for the second day in a row. Full Moon, perhaps??? I could only see one or two shrimp and got scared that something in the new dirt was killing them off, & I was just fed up. Action was needed.

PLUS I thought the nerite snail was dead! He was pulled further into his shell than I saw before and wouldn't 'stick' to anything. I just couldn't accept this, though, and put him in the holding tub with the shrimp, determined for it to live!

This all forced a premature set up of the 5 gal (my order from Alpha Pro Breeders just shipped today due to recent single digit temps), and so I went out to get another heater, a couple plants, and some CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium substrate. I'm re-using the 3i because the Betta really doesn't need it. I got him an airstone, though.

Well, except for the water clearing the rest of the way, it is all done, and you SHOULD SEE the shrimp!!!!! They are swimming ALL OVER the place & we are all "bursting happy." AND the nerite snail is alive and well!!!
I could not be a more over-joyed Mom!!!

You know, I never EVER thought about keeping shrimp until last week, but the little buggers have just grown on me so bad. They are cute cute cute, and now I get to see how frisky, too.

Meanwhile, the dirt with composted wood & who knows what in the 2 gal bowl is still causing headaches with floating material. Now that the shrimp and snail are out, Al Fajr (Sunrise) may be in for ANOTHER bowl rebuild with the potting soil getting nixxed - and replaced with the Flora Max. (NOW what am I gonna do with the other substrate when it comes??? Hint: I think a 10 gal is in my future.)

The ONLY part I am nervous about is I am just back in fish keeping after 22 years, since Jan 23 (read: I am RUSTY), and my RCS & Orange Bee are in an UNCYCLED tank!! I put approximately 3 pints or maybe a quart of the previous tank water in there, plus the 3i with the media that's been in there since 1/23, and some Tetra Safe Start bacteria. My question is, do you guys think my shrimp will be okay in a new tank? Should I do a 25% WC every day, or what do you suggest that will keep my shrimp alive? I have fallen in love with this tiny creatures.
Appreciate any advice!!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #7423
Aquarium Advice Addict

The shrimp will probably be okay as long as you keep a close eye on ammonia and do water changes accordingly.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #7424
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmina View Post
*Please at least see bottom - Question at end.
The shrimp I found at the 11th hour yesterday after the 4 hour rebuild did not survive the trauma he went through just before I saw it. I left its body in there because I heard shrimp will eat dead ones. This morning when I saw the body again, I thought I had lost another shrimp & freaked out for the second day in a row. Full Moon, perhaps??? I could only see one or two shrimp and got scared that something in the new dirt was killing them off, & I was just fed up. Action was needed.

PLUS I thought the nerite snail was dead! He was pulled further into his shell than I saw before and wouldn't 'stick' to anything. I just couldn't accept this, though, and put him in the holding tub with the shrimp, determined for it to live!

This all forced a premature set up of the 5 gal (my order from Alpha Pro Breeders just shipped today due to recent single digit temps), and so I went out to get another heater, a couple plants, and some CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium substrate. I'm re-using the 3i because the Betta really doesn't need it. I got him an airstone, though.

Well, except for the water clearing the rest of the way, it is all done, and you SHOULD SEE the shrimp!!!!! They are swimming ALL OVER the place & we are all "bursting happy." AND the nerite snail is alive and well!!!
I could not be a more over-joyed Mom!!!

You know, I never EVER thought about keeping shrimp until last week, but the little buggers have just grown on me so bad. They are cute cute cute, and now I get to see how frisky, too.

Meanwhile, the dirt with composted wood & who knows what in the 2 gal bowl is still causing headaches with floating material. Now that the shrimp and snail are out, Al Fajr (Sunrise) may be in for ANOTHER bowl rebuild with the potting soil getting nixxed - and replaced with the Flora Max. (NOW what am I gonna do with the other substrate when it comes??? Hint: I think a 10 gal is in my future.)

The ONLY part I am nervous about is I am just back in fish keeping after 22 years, since Jan 23 (read: I am RUSTY), and my RCS & Orange Bee are in an UNCYCLED tank!! I put approximately 3 pints or maybe a quart of the previous tank water in there, plus the 3i with the media that's been in there since 1/23, and some Tetra Safe Start bacteria. My question is, do you guys think my shrimp will be okay in a new tank? Should I do a 25% WC every day, or what do you suggest that will keep my shrimp alive? I have fallen in love with this tiny creatures.
Appreciate any advice!!
I don't count myself as a very good keeper of shrimp since all but 1 of my collection of red cherry shrimp died on me over time, but when you do water changes i'd try to make sure you get very close with temperature matching. I think that was where i went wrong with mine. Maybe my Kuhli loaches hunted them to near extinction in my tank but i generally only saw dead shrimp right after water changes. They were fine with the water changes in summer but when winter came i think getting cooler water dropped into the tank killed them. I think i have one left from the ten that i purchased and the many babies they had when i first introduced them to the tank but only see that one occasionally these days.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #7425
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nice to meet you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The shrimp will probably be okay as long as you keep a close eye on ammonia and do water changes accordingly.

Ahh, the DIY plant tab man! Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Yes, I was def thinking of that, for sure - just wondering if there was anything in addition. With just a handful of those animals in the tank with some plants, will the cycling be really slow -- like maybe a month before it is ready for some fish?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #7426
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for that tip. I've been trying to do that, especially because of the Betta, and I did read that temp fluctuations can make fish sick (paraphrased, sort of ;p). Could be pretty shocking in winter, for real.

Have fun! Thanks for reply.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 AM   #7427
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thanks for that tip. I've been trying to do that, especially because of the Betta, and I did read that temp fluctuations can make fish sick (paraphrased, sort of ;p). Could be pretty shocking in winter, for real.

Have fun! Thanks for reply.
Shrimp are awesome.

Just saw we are neighbors! Hi and welcome to the fun!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #7428
Aquarium Advice Regular

Gosh, yes. That's awesome. I have too much cyber and not enough real world.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #7429
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Gosh, yes. That's awesome. I have too much cyber and not enough real world.
Well maybe the Colorado Aquarium Society meeting would be a good real world event for you. And it might be a good "What did you do with your tank?" post!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 AM   #7430
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am putting it on my calendar! Since I haven't had any work last week or so far this week, I won't have being tired as an excuse.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com