What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
insecurity said:
Today is operation fishtank: 25% water changing the 36gal, taking some water change water, dumping that into the 20gal to speed up the cycling process. Going to the LFS- looking at a new heater for the 36gal, getting some plants for the 20gal, and researching fish, to see if they'd be compatible with dwarf puffers- busy day planned!

I would also suggest borrowing some filter media. That's where most of your bb is at. Out some into the filter on the new tank. Will speed cycling more that using your water from the other tank.

I would also suggest borrowing some filter media. That's where most of your bb is at. Out some into the filter on the new tank. Will speed cycling more that using your water from the other tank.

Yeah I know- ideally, I'd do something with the filters, but the 36gal has an HOB, and the 20gal has a internal...

Just got back from the LFS- planted some Red Ludwiga in the 20gal, and I had to replace the air stone. Thinking of fabricating myself a quick water changer that attaches to my tap, since my LFS has the valves I need for for for $14.

Today I added

1 Bosemani Rainbow Male. (sale $5.50)
2 Turquoise Rainbows (sale $3.50)
3 Lily Bulbs (for the price of 2)

So far I have freaked out the fish, fed the fish and currently planning a 40% water change. The Turquoise Rainbows seemed to just fit in while the Bosemani Rainbow is hanging out in the plants. I just saw the orange New Guinea Rainbow bring the Bosemani male a piece of food and spit it out right by him. It turned out to be a piece of plant root. I've seen this activity before.

I still have the following on my to buy list

2 Bosemani Rainbow (1 male, 1 female)
3 Australian Rainbow (1 Ornate female, 2 Splendid (1 male, 1 female))
1 Dennisoni Barb ($9.09 now, waiting for sale)

Saw some Neon Rainbows, Threadfin Rainbows and Celebres Rainbows at the store. The neons were in a bag and didn't look to good and the other two were too expensive and I hope they go on sale soon.

Did an 80% pwc and dosed api aquarium salt in the oscar and acf tank, did almost 100% water change and dosed salt in the 10g fry tank. Trying to combat the cloudy water issue I am having. I think its because of all the snails, atleast that's what I've read. I'm not sure though. Everything else seems to be in check and no I don't have a mini cycle going on

Terraphyte Tanks

Hello...

Topped off the tanks this afternoon. Replace 4 to 5 gallons a week, but I suppose that's typical of tanks with no covers. The emersed land plants act as the tank covers.

Also, added a little extra aeration to the plant roots. By using plastic tubing and large air pumps, the water around the roots is constantly moving and supplies nitrogens. There is a constant supply of CO2 from the air in the room.

The Chinese Evergreen and Pothos actually grow faster and appear healthier than the same plants planted in organic potting soil.

B

Today I had Thanksgiving with my fish.

They enjoyed the following:

Cheddar Cheese
Lemon Cake
Honey Baked Ham
Kings Hawaiian Rolls
Baked Potato.

The tank is on 24/7 watch for a few days...

Bought BRS RO/DI unit and Red Sea cal, mag, alk, phos, no3 test kit for less than $200. Good holiday sale so far.

cleaned 30 gal hex fw
replace filter
replace gravel
re scape getting ready to add a few more fish:D
maybe a few shrimp
2 black mollies
6 neons
maybe 6 med snails

img_2211780_0_4f2e00136f0b72453e228c8e5c4142e6.jpg

replaced 50% water in salt tank with kent marine salt
since instant ocean was recalled

added a few new corals

candy cane
and few more zoa's

img_2211780_1_ca2b5a0fd20ffeb30e4d149738d332a3.jpg

clover polyps
and a hammer

img_2211780_2_490a9073ae674d344c62a3b87b2c2788.jpg

blue shrooms
and a plate

img_2211780_3_f753d73e1efc594f2d324dd604bfc6bf.jpg

shroom rock

img_2211780_4_97fc453d3c8c1c53e1f77aa1970ce656.jpg

green paly

img_2211780_5_7c3f461ebd4a67fbfc415a446c1b974c.jpg

I forgot what this was called

img_2211780_6_621df221b904e2021e55dbf5e27b4856.jpg

img_2211780_7_3718a25ff995d4eece755751d2460fff.jpg

OO!

I got a Half-moon BEAUTIFUL! Elephant ear betta. And some glo-lights and some neon tetras(which My hubby wants to steal for his tank). He was on sale for a half moon and CLEARLY an elephant ear. I will try to take an actual picture later, because now he is hiding. here is what he looks like. But with more purple accents. He will be very well loved

Attachments

• betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 75
Pwc on both tanks. A few hours later I walked in on the tanks and this is what was going on between my male Bolivian ram and my smallest Cory cat. The ram was in 'his' spot and the Cory cat was pestering the heck outta him. Darting around/under the big ram and creating quite the sandstorm. The Cory isn't even 1inch long!

After struggling through a fish in cycle on my grandfathers 55g I got so mad today.

I sent him to the store to get a new 306 so that I could have my 305. He bought it.... and then listened to the employee at the store who told him to TOSS OUT THE CYCLED MEDIA!

I told him that's wrong. His response: well you don't get paid to sell fish. I'll listen to the employee.

get him to read info on this forum
he might be able to understand and learn the proper cycling method
employee's at a pet store get sales commission they could care less how many fish you loose it's all about how much money they can bring in
sorry grandad you need to listen to your grandson/granddaughter which ever it may be
there only looking after your main interests

bigbanker said:
After struggling through a fish in cycle on my grandfathers 55g I got so mad today.

I sent him to the store to get a new 306 so that I could have my 305. He bought it.... and then listened to the employee at the store who told him to TOSS OUT THE CYCLED MEDIA!

I told him that's wrong. His response: well you don't get paid to sell fish. I'll listen to the employee.

So, did he toss the media out? And if he do, did you dig it outta the trash?

54seaweed said:
get him to read info on this forum
he might be able to understand and learn the proper cycling method
employee's at a pet store get sales commission they could care less how many fish you loose it's all about how much money they can bring in
sorry grandad you need to listen to your grandson/granddaughter which ever it may be
there only looking after your main interests

I even installed the app on his phone for him!

Tetra1990 said:
So, did he toss the media out? And if he do, did you dig it outta the trash?

Of course he tossed it... every bit of the media. I don't live with my grandparents so this conversation was held over the phone. They live across town. He is convinced the employee knows it all. Ha.

Anywho ...... when I swing by tomorrow I'm good to seed it and give him my bottle of prime. I was livid!

San Raphael Catfish said:
Tore the freshwater tank, rinsed it on the front lawn, going rebuild it as saltwater tank.

SRC <><

This picture says so much! Welcome to the salty side!!

Just tested the 20 and fry tanks. Noticed we have more fry in the 20 and thought "I need to start a predator tank". Told my wife about
It and why. Then decided I enjoy sleep in my bed enough that taking the fry to the LFS was a much better idea. Lol!!! Stared at the 40b that I started cycle on yesterday!! Woot!! Have to decide on the aqua scape and get to planting. 2mrw is water change Sunday.

Re planted the ones that got pulled up by the flowerhorn & blood parrot couple's rearranging.

image-1351627640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom