Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #7921
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Love Discus - since I was a kid and my eyes were probably the size of a Discus when they mesmerized me.

So started to move the Green Neons over to the 72G but the little guys refused to be caught. This cause me to remove everything from the tank to catch them, then I just kicked up a bunch of muck from the substrate, then I decided I better just clean out the substrate too. Spilled a half gallon + of water all over the place.

Then I couldn't find the 2nd female Killifish. Hope it just got scooped up with all the plants I had floating. Not seemingly anywhere. Maybe hopped out the back but I saw her recently yesterday. Didn't see any fish but there is a mass of tangled wires so not sure yet.

Then the snails were still crawling all over, did an additional pwc just to be sure. Re-acclimated the fish to the new water.

Then the filter wouldn't restart, had to clean out the impeller. Added an extra filter pad to the old one. Gave away the last extra seeded one to my daughter and forgot to put in a new one.

Added a little calcium and magnesium to the 72G. Saw a Cardinal with a bump on its side. The Green Neons are hanging out with the Cardinals.

Wasn't planning all that.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #7922
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard a fish splashing in my reef tank so I camped out for a bit with the lights super dim to see what was going on. Apparently my snowflake blenny was trying to jump over the overflow again. I am going to have to secure it better so he doesn't take another ride down the pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

Wasn't planning all that.
Sounds like an eventful day!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #7923
Elephant nose Finatic!

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, rinsed filter's and cleaned impeller. Rearranged some plant's too give him more space.
Checked parameters on my shrimp tank couldn't believe how high my nitrate was 40 ppm! Haven't a clue what's caused that. Checked filter's for plant matter but none and I definitely don't overfeed.
Anyone have any idea's? Nitrate usually sits at 5 but this new tank has been running for 3 week's, old filter was transferred. ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #7924
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Could a plant have died, and the extra ammonia caused your extra nitrates?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #7925
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Could a plant have died, and the extra ammonia caused your extra nitrates?

That's what's strange as I haven't had any ammonia? All plant's are healthy. And the tank isn't over stocked so I'm kinda confused over this.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #7926
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The BB may have converted the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates before you could see the ammonia. All shrimp accounted for?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #7927
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
The BB may have converted the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates before you could see the ammonia. All shrimp accounted for?

All shrimp are doing fine. Your probably right it's maybe gone through a mini cycle when I transferred everything over.
It's only been running for 3 week's I did move my old filter over to help seed the new one but the tank is a lot bigger. Thanks for the help ☺

Old 04-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #7928
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, rinsed filter's and cleaned impeller. Rearranged some plant's too give him more space.
Checked parameters on my shrimp tank couldn't believe how high my nitrate was 40 ppm! Haven't a clue what's caused that. Checked filter's for plant matter but none and I definitely don't overfeed.
Anyone have any idea's? Nitrate usually sits at 5 but this new tank has been running for 3 week's, old filter was transferred. ☺

His water must be discus quality lol. I swear you clean half his tank at least every 2 days :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #7929
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
His water must be discus quality lol. I swear you clean half his tank at least every 2 days :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Nearly Lol every 4 -5 day's 😜

Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #7930
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All inhabitants from the tank clean are alive this morning.

Went to the Petco 30% off sale (all plants and fish in aquariums - I guess Bettas too) and found some plants, Micro Sword Potted and bunch stems Repens and Bacopa.

Found a beautiful little Six Line Wrasse for my new SW transfer, I had to add another rock cave because the Clowns disapproved of a cave invader and they pretty much claimed the big hollow I made for them in the middle of the tank. Gonna feed them as every one can get cranky when they are hungry! lol

Got 2 Camel Shrimp they are very cute for the little Macro Algae 5G. Will have to do pics tomorrow, today's too busy.

One Fire Shrimp for the 12G. Yipee!!!!

pwc on 15G added RO/DI water to all SW for evaporation.

Moved a few coral frags from the 5 to the 12G just in case the Camel Shrimp want to snack on the Zoas, I guess they can do that sometimes, but they are really pretty and will be good in that tank for now since it is well established.

Wiped the glass

Found out I won't be picking up the School of CPD's 13 and 6 S & P Cories this week. :/

Scooping up my plants and heading out.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com