What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sold some shrimpies

Shipped some snails and Java Moss, first shipping, hoping it all goes well.

Changed water in the Java Moss Tank.

Did some planning for my tank scape.

I had a 15g that I broke down a few days ago. I left about 2" of water and the gravel in it. I refilled it to keep the BB until my girlfriend can take it on Saturday. The place that ships our feeders accidentally sent a little crawfish with them so I took him home and put him in there. I also saw a snail I didn't realize was in the tank cruising around. Pretty crazy he lived for 4 days with water only 1/4" above the substrate.

Wolfsblood said:
I had a 15g that I broke down a few days ago. I left about 2" of water and the gravel in it. I refilled it to keep the BB until my girlfriend can take it on Saturday. The place that ships our feeders accidentally sent a little crawfish with them so I took him home and put him in there. I also saw a snail I didn't realize was in the tank cruising around. Pretty crazy he lived for 4 days with water only 1/4" above the substrate.

That's nothing. I had a endler guppy fry survive 2 weeks if not longer in a 20g with only 50% water, no filter, no air pump, and no heater! He's named Nemo now and I just moved him from the 10g fry tank to our 46g bowfront tank today. And on another note, today I also did a 50% pwc on the bowfront tank and a 90% pwc on the 20g. Sadly, I am gonna rehome the oscar that resides in the 20g. Bought him a couple months ago with full intentions of getting a 75g or bigger but unexpected bills have pushed that tank to the back of my mind. He's prob only 5 inches, but he's getting to the size that I don't feel right keeping him in there any longer. Let the hating and bashing begin :-( Also, I never imagined how messy a fish could be. I've got a penguin 350 on my 20g and I swear that's not even enough.

Since we're telling fish stories...

Daughter shut down her Edge tank deciding she didn't want to have fish after all (now mine) - don't know why with an entire pet store she picked out a sickly feeder goldfish. She wanted to save it (we have a pond). We took out the fish and what had been three Cories. There was only one Cory, we stirred and stirred the sand and there was only one. I figured they had died.

Came back later and looked again and didn't find anything. After a few days she unplugged it and it sat in the corner for about 2 1/2-3 weeks, no light no air, no heater and no food.

I needed extra room as my momma guppy was going to have babies, so i asked her if I could use it until she sold it she said yes since it needed to be cleaned out anyway. I walked in the room and thought I saw movement!

Scared and mortified, I ended up rescuing a little Cory. There was a zen structure in the tank and best I can tell it hid inside of the piece (even checked the filter). I had lifted the thing up and shook it numerous times though I didn't even know there were holes in it (daughter put it together). OMG it got like 63 degrees or less!!!!!

Poor baby!! She is doing great and nearly doubled in size in the past year! She was reunited with her buddy, a boy and they hang out together all the time.

Rearranged the driftwood (OCD took over so this ate up about 3 hours or so). Ordered some plants and pellets. New light and liquid ferts came in the mail today. Replaced a single 17 watt 8000k T 8 with a dual T5 NO. So much brighter...bubbles started appearing on the moss ball within an hour. Cleaned the impeller and HOB housing.

Attachments

• image-1436463797.jpg
    image-1436463797.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 89
Daughter shut down her Edge tank deciding she didn't want to have fish after all (now mine) - don't know why with an entire pet store she picked out a sickly feeder goldfish. She wanted to save it (we have a pond). We took out the fish and what had been three Cories. There was only one Cory, we stirred and stirred the sand and there was only one. I figured they had died.

Came back later and looked again and didn't find anything. After a few days she unplugged it and it sat in the corner for about 2 1/2-3 weeks, no light no air, no heater and no food.

I needed extra room as my momma guppy was going to have babies, so i asked her if I could use it until she sold it she said yes since it needed to be cleaned out anyway. I walked in the room and thought I saw movement!

Scared and mortified, I ended up rescuing a little Cory. There was a zen structure in the tank and best I can tell it hid inside of the piece (even checked the filter). I had lifted the thing up and shook it numerous times though I didn't even know there were holes in it (daughter put it together). OMG it got like 63 degrees or less!!!!!

Poor baby!! She is doing great and nearly doubled in size in the past year! She was reunited with her buddy, a boy and they hang out together all the time.

I had this happen with a peacock eel. Very long story short, it hid in a fake log that was out of water for 3 hours. Put the log back in water and it came out. Sadly, it didn't make through the night.

Did a 25% water change on my African cichlid tank halfway through realized I ran out of Prime. Sent the wife to PetSmart, while she was there got 3 calls and 2 text messages, nobody could find it, trying to sell her stress coat saying its the same thing. Sent a picture text of Prime. She comes home with the SMALLEST bottle, used whole bottle.

Had 2 beers, laughed, orders 2 liters of Prime. It was a fun night to say the least.

Love my wife lol.

Busy day. Water change on both tanks. My mts are enjoying their last supper, my assassin snails were on the porch when I got home. Acclimated them for the 29 gallon and placed them all in the right front corner to check for DOAs. Within minutes, the welcome wagon had arrived, first the shrimp came to see what's going on, then both my rams came over and thought the snails were a snack. Interest was soon lost and by the time I was done with my water changes, a few brave souls were cruising around the tank. Mts, you are living on borrowed time....

Busy day. Water change on both tanks. My mts are enjoying their last supper, my assassin snails were on the porch when I got home. Acclimated them for the 29 gallon and placed them all in the right front corner to check for DOAs. Within minutes, the welcome wagon had arrived, first the shrimp came to see what's going on, then both my rams came over and thought the snails were a snack. Interest was soon lost and by the time I was done with my water changes, a few brave souls were cruising around the tank. Mts, you are living on borrowed time....

Morning update: the assassins are winning. I believe I have one DOA. I'll check on it when I get home from work.

Water changes on all three today (55,37,12). I finished putting together a water filter system that I pieced together from work. Though I'm still using prime, my thought on using these filters is to remove all the chlorine, and most of the heavy metals that might be in my local water. Having a long enough hose on the discharge side, I'm able to use it to fill the tanks back up. Worked like a charm. I was able to vacuum one tank while I was filling up the other. Plus the fill hose worked great to get anything that I couldn't reach with the vacuum up and floating so my filters could remove it. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Bought 2 albino baby cories today .. pwc on the 20g n rehome the gbr to the 10g til tomorrow n i can see about replacing her with a different fish as she is killin my otos n tried killin my cories one by one..if not ill pull the 60g out n mayb put them in there n the ram back to the 20g.. my luck with fish has been horrible this week.. :(

Rescaped tank to make more hiding spots to accommodate group of rainbow sharks I've introduced to hopefully stop the dominant one stressing out the other of the two I acquired with my tank.
On a sad note, my GBR didn't make it through the mini cycle sparked by changing the substrate. Didn't even find any remains!! Think he must have been eaten! :(
I'll post some pics of the new scape tonight once water clears.

50% pwc on my 72. Moved some of the plants around and took a few rocks out to make room for more plants. Going to my first fish club swap meet tomorrow and I hear there are usually tons of people selling plants there.

Did a pwc on the 20g added some (fake plants) n a barrel decor piece the hubby wanted. Did bring the gbr back n got 2 green cories .. i wanna try n add some more hiding spots n plants then try again with the ram hopin for a better out come after more research n advice from others.

Went to my first aquarium club swap meet. Got an apple snail 2 spare 6500k t5 bulbs for super cheap and got a bag of repashy super food. Can't wait to try it. Got the snail acclimating right now and he's trying to climb out of the bag.

Back
Top Bottom