What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water changes on the 10 gallon and the goldfish tank.

Started up the 20 gallon long.

Rinsed 15 pounds of Caribsea Eco complete.

And rinsed...and rinsed...and rinsed.

5 rinses, and still getting muddy water.

I do not know why the bag says minimal rinsing needed.

Good bc we want rcs or rainbow shrimp

You should be good. Just don't keep more than one gourami together. That's what triggers aggression. :) otherwise they're a very peaceful centerpiece for a community tank!

I cleaned the base and canopy, cleaned the glass, did a 20% water change, made some plans to put 2 bigger doors on my stand and add shelves to one side and rearrange some wires and tubing. Also ordered a new backdrop for the tank (going black). Thinking about replacing all the tubing as preventative measures and buying 2 back up pumps. Going tomorrow to buy live sand for the refugium also. Did I mention this was my wife and kids tank and not mine?

I cleaned the base and canopy, cleaned the glass, did a 20% water change, made some plans to put 2 bigger doors on my stand and add shelves to one side and rearrange some wires and tubing. Also ordered a new backdrop for the tank (going black). Thinking about replacing all the tubing as preventative measures and buying 2 back up pumps. Going tomorrow to buy live sand for the refugium also. Did I mention this was my wife and kids tank and not mine?

Doesn't everything we have belong to the wife? Lol

Did a pwc on my 125 and also rescaped so I could clean under the rocks. Wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but I like the new scape better.

First pic is the old.

Attachments

• image-1853900440.jpg
    image-1853900440.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1533319905.jpg
    image-1533319905.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 119
kjacks said:
I like both but i like the new look better 2 .. i hated redoing mine didnt have a clue how i could change it but i like it better now

Thanks. I started getting sick of handling the rocks. With my hands water logged and all pruned up some of the rocks were pretty rough on my hands. Between cleaning and rescaping I spent about 2 hours in the water.

Still at war with my mts! Decided to make a snail trap. Couldn't find a small enough jar, so I dug into my bag of redneck tricks and grabbed a long skinny shot glass. Baited with a chunk of soft carrot, turned off the lights and now we wait....

Water changes on the 10 gallon and the goldfish tank.

Started up the 20 gallon long.

Rinsed 15 pounds of Caribsea Eco complete.

And rinsed...and rinsed...and rinsed.

5 rinses, and still getting muddy water.

I do not know why the bag says minimal rinsing needed.

My Eco Complete just said put it in rinsing not advised since it has bacteria in it...Does yours have a packet for the water or did it come wet?

Autumnsky said:
My Eco Complete just said put it in rinsing not advised since it has bacteria in it...Does yours have a packet for the water or did it come wet?

Yea mine said do not rinse. Came in a solution and a water clarifier packet in each bag.

No Water Changes Tanks

What did I do with my tanks today...

Not much really. My tanks don't require water changes, so there's no filling buckets or getting out the "Python". No algae scraping, there's no visible algae in the tanks. Just a little time trimming the Chinese evergreens and topping off the tanks.

Do use small HOBs, to filter the water at night when the lights go out and the plants rest. The filters can be cleaned with pure, treated tap water, and the media squeezed out into the same water and put back into the filter.

Very little beneficial bacteria is needed with the emersed evergreens. The root balls of the plant remove the nitrogens as soon as the fish produce them, so there's no time for even nitrates to even get to 10 ppm. Don't ever have to test the water chemistry, the plants maintain stable water properties.

B

These guys are fun! Watch your filter intake though, both of mine got too close to the intake and died:(

They were probably sick then......healthy fish will not die from a filter intake unless you have something crazy like a 400gph canister on a 5 gallon.

Good bc we want rcs or rainbow shrimp

RCS and Rainbow shrimp are much smaller than ghost shrimp, and will most likely be preyed upon by the gourami unless you have TONS of cover. Bigger shrimp that are much more likely to survive are ghost shrimp, amano shrimp, and bamboo shrimp.

Nice process.

Gotta love it, my favorite plants for that are the Arrowhead Plant Syngonium podophyllum/ Nepthytis. I am considering this for one of my tanks, it has a built in filter tray in the hood, which would be perfect for holding the plants! Maybe a project for a few weeks from now!

What did I do with my tanks today...

Not much really. My tanks don't require water changes, so there's no filling buckets or getting out the "Python". No algae scraping, there's no visible algae in the tanks. Just a little time trimming the Chinese evergreens and topping off the tanks.

Do use small HOBs, to filter the water at night when the lights go out and the plants rest. The filters can be cleaned with pure, treated tap water, and the media squeezed out into the same water and put back into the filter.

Very little beneficial bacteria is needed with the emersed evergreens. The root balls of the plant remove the nitrogens as soon as the fish produce them, so there's no time for even nitrates to even get to 10 ppm. Don't ever have to test the water chemistry, the plants maintain stable water properties.

B

Low Maintenance FW Tank

Gotta love it, my favorite plants for that are the Arrowhead Plant Syngonium podophyllum/ Nepthytis. I am considering this for one of my tanks, it has a built in filter tray in the hood, which would be perfect for holding the plants! Maybe a project for a few weeks from now!

Hello neighbor...

Look at you, becoming the local aquarium expert, with all those posts in such a short time! Good for you! Not sure I want to recommend using emersed land plants to keep the tank water pure. Once the plants have overgrown the tank, (see attached pic), there's no more weekly maintenance needed. I don't want to say the tank gets boring, but that might be the case.

Actually, I haven't had very good luck with Nephthytis, although I do have one plant in one of my tanks, (see attached pic). I think Aglaonema is a very good choice if that's the route you want to go with your tank.

Keep up the good work and please excuse the dark pics!

B

Attachments

• WP_20130127_005.jpg
    WP_20130127_005.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_20130127_006.jpg
    WP_20130127_006.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 78
You are too funny!

Howdy! Half the posts are questions lol, I am curious...

I used to have 8-10 in the Betta tank/vases (1+ to 3 gallon capacity and yes that is a big vase! 13 years ago) They grew into amazing house plants and the fish loved the clean water. The big one in the 3g vase was about 3' wide and 3.5' tall/long due to the trailing parts. The ones which did best were the old fashioned varieties. I had three really big ones. The rest were the pink and bronze types from plant angel or whatever they are called. They stayed bushy and thick, the nicest looking houseplants I ever had.

I did periodic pwc and took excellent care of my Betta fish and told all the people I could find who had them in small containers and didn't feed them- just eat the roots, how to take care of them.

When I moved out of state I gave them all away. (by then there were only a few fish alive) Now I wish I had the plants back!

Dwarf Anthurium are excellent and if they have enough light, almost bloom non stop! Never had that much luck with the peace lily though. You might want to try the Dwarf Anthurium, B. - nice coral and red colors stay on the plant for a long time.

Anyhow, changed the water in DD's Betta tank and scrubbed off a bunch of algae, it used to be sitting in the window sill and is an acrylic which I think seems to grow more algae than glass ones.

Started pulling plant stuff out of the tanks to get ready to mail tomorrow.

Water change and landscaping, plus new filter

On my 30 gallon:
I did a big water change - about 40%, because I was a couple of days late. Water tested fine before I changed it, so I probably didn't need to take out more than usual, but...

While I had the water level down, I scooped out empty snail shells - my assassins have been busy! I also rearranged my plants because my anubias were getting a bit too much shade, I think. I'm also trying to convince a big java fern that it really wants to be attached to the log in my tank.

Biggest change was a new filter. My old aquaclear 50 quit and so I was running my back-up until my new filter arrived. My new filter is an aquaclear 70 and I am unconvinced. It's louder by a long shot. The 50 was virtually silent and so I loved it. This one is noisy. And I'm worried that the outflow is too strong. But that's another thread.

Son's 5 gallon betta tank:
Just a quick, basic water change on this one. It's all running smoothly. Though, come to think of it, the filter on that one is sounding a bit noisier lately too. It's a Tetra whisper and it's not so much whispering as humming these days. :-(

Back
Top Bottom