What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you mean corals do you mean supplys included? Phytoplankton-20$,lights- 400$ corals-800-1000$ so a good 1800$.

I think my fire fish are breeding already (after only 3 months!)

OK. I could afford the buckets you are keeping them in and the phytoplankton :lol:. I was originally wondering about coral prices as i'm thinking about setting up a frag tank to sell back to the LFS who don't have many local suppliers. It's a project for down the road though as i'm too broke to set it up right now. I have about 10 plant types in my aquariums at the moment so maybe i'll just have to sell cuttings from those. Your Corals will lookgreat when you get them in a tank.

Good luck with the fire fish. I don't have anything that will breed yet. I'll start stocking up on some different fish for breeding soon. Probably looking at Bristlenose plecos and a couple of types of Cichlid.

Last night I set up my 2nd tank! Well, it's my quarantine. What a PITA that was (and not cheap). I ended up cracking the new thermometer, spilling water playing with new siphon, and, although I knew it to start with, I didn't want to give up the fact that you can't siphon "up", to fill up the tank with a bucket of water. :)

I was planning on tearing down the tank between new fishes, and setting it up when I need, but now I'm thinking it would just be easier to keep it running all the time.

Last night I set up my 2nd tank! Well, it's my quarantine. What a PITA that was (and not cheap). I ended up cracking the new thermometer, spilling water playing with new siphon, and, although I knew it to start with, I didn't want to give up the fact that you can't siphon "up", to fill up the tank with a bucket of water. :)

I was planning on tearing down the tank between new fishes, and setting it up when I need, but now I'm thinking it would just be easier to keep it running all the time.

Get an internal pump and hook it up to some hose ;) essentially an upwards siphon.

I didn't want to give up the fact that you can't siphon "up", to fill up the tank with a bucket of water. :)

Are you talking about when you replace the water? If you have a step ladder that you can place the bucket on (It has to be higher than your tank). You could then siphon the water into your tank from the bucket.

Get an internal pump and hook it up to some hose ;) essentially an upwards siphon.

I do this. Works like a charm. Just remember to lift the hose out of the tank before you switch off the pump, otherwise it just turns into a syphon and drains the tank again!

Are you talking about when you replace the water? If you have a step ladder that you can place the bucket on (It has to be higher than your tank). You could then siphon the water into your tank from the bucket.

This is a good idea, too. Though if I'm going to lift the bucket anyways I might as well just pour it into the tank that way :)

I do this. Works like a charm. Just remember to lift the hose out of the tank before you switch off the pump, otherwise it just turns into a syphon and drains the tank again!

What electric pump / model do you use or recommend?

Put the bucket on the lid right at the edge NOT in the centre, open up the food flap, Roberts your mothers brother! Thats how I've back syphoned almost all of my tanks for 8 years. (y)

Just picked up prefilter sponge and rescued a dwarf gourami from our 75 gallon tank at work which has a 8 inch oscar and a 10 inch green terror who have been eyeing and chasing that poor gourami around ! He seems to love his new home! And fed them

Attachments

• image-2971198613.jpg
    image-2971198613.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1878589906.jpg
    image-1878589906.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 57
What electric pump / model do you use or recommend?

Cant remember the brand and there's no name on it... it's a pump intended to run a water feature. Just check that it has enough lift to pump the water the required height. It's fairly small, I dont need it to have a huge flow.

Just picked up prefilter sponge and rescued a dwarf gourami from our 75 gallon tank at work which has a 8 inch oscar and a 10 inch green terror who have been eyeing and chasing that poor gourami around ! He seems to love his new home! And fed them

Nice!*!*!

OK. I could afford the buckets you are keeping them in and the phytoplankton :lol:. I was originally wondering about coral prices as i'm thinking about setting up a frag tank to sell back to the LFS who don't have many local suppliers. It's a project for down the road though as i'm too broke to set it up right now. I have about 10 plant types in my aquariums at the moment so maybe i'll just have to sell cuttings from those. Your Corals will lookgreat when you get them in a tank.

Good luck with the fire fish. I don't have anything that will breed yet. I'll start stocking up on some different fish for breeding soon. Probably looking at Bristlenose plecos and a couple of types of Cichlid.

Thats the corals in the 37g, the 60 will probably cost 2000$ alone on the corals, when i got the tank it came with some aqualight por metal halides which cost 700$ lol, but i got the tank and the lights for 250$ :D the brains are still in the bucket waiting to go into the 20 long, i would like to set up a rimless frag tank with just a little clownfish or somthin.

Briefly,

Puffer+2
750litre -100+75
Qt1 -10+9
Qt2 -10+9 dose meds
45litre -10+8

Stock alive and well, Cory 50:50, hill stream loach rock, puffers rock, fish rock!

50% water changes on every tank. They've been neglected a little because it's finals week. But I finally found a little time to do it. Also pulled some chain sword runners up and replanted them in a different corner. Those things grow like weeds. I had one string of them that was 12 plants long. I'm sweating for doing all that and all I want is a new tank. Hahaha. I guess I am addicted.

Any picks of the hill streams? I love those guys!

Post 5428, link to my fish house thread, alternatively link below to my flickr page.

I'm picking a tank up (actually 3 tanks) tomorrow (Saturday), one will be modified especially for them. This will be more DIY fun! I got a great deal on these tanks £35-only for all three tanks, 2@36/15/18 £10each,1@24/26/18 £15. Perfect for me, that's a decent reef qt a decent coral qt and the rheophile tank.

This is the first time in 8 years I've paid for a ready made tank!

All I now need is plumbing, silicone and powerheads. One day I'll get around to building a reef!

I love the shape of these fish, pretty unique I think.

Post 5428, link to my fish house thread, alternatively link below to my flickr page.

I'm picking a tank up (actually 3 tanks) tomorrow (Saturday), one will be modified especially for them. This will be more DIY fun! I got a great deal on these tanks £35-only for all three tanks, 2@36/15/18 £10each,1@24/26/18 £15. Perfect for me, that's a decent reef qt a decent coral qt and the rheophile tank.

All I now need is plumbing, silicone and powerheads. One day I'll get around to building a reef!

You got a really sweet deal on the tanks and i doubt you could DIY them for that price. I've found a cheap source of glass now so i might custom build a few tanks myself in future including redoing my 40g.

Once i have this tank and stand operational I have no lounge room space left for tanks. All further tanks will move into my spare room which i just use for storage.

You have some very nice fish in your tanks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you stock when you have a reef tank running. :popcorn:

You got a really sweet deal on the tanks and i doubt you could DIY them for that price. I've found a cheap source of glass now so i might custom build a few tanks myself in future including redoing my 40g.

Once i have this tank and stand operational I have no lounge room space left for tanks. All further tanks will move into my spare room which i just use for storage.

You have some very nice fish in your tanks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you stock when you have a reef tank running. :popcorn:

First of all thank you, my fish are my pride and joy.

I have a thread that explains the reef build, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/gaseous-exchange-stocking-method-inc-coral-284465.html

Building tanks is easy enough, you are right, those prices are so low the back panel would cost as much as the whole tank.
How is the Brutus build going?

Nice find on those tanks, i dont really understand why people QT corals, i mean who is that crazy? (no offence if you do) its just over-doing it IMO.

Hope your reef turns out good, What powerheads are you gonna use? I love the hydor koralias because you can change the flow in any direction you want and they arent ugly like maxi-jets and what not.

Back
Top Bottom