What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats the corals in the 37g, the 60 will probably cost 2000$ alone on the corals, when i got the tank it came with some aqualight por metal halides which cost 700$ lol, but i got the tank and the lights for 250$ :D the brains are still in the bucket waiting to go into the 20 long, i would like to set up a rimless frag tank with just a little clownfish or somthin.

It's nice to get a good deal on the tank and lights when everything that goes into the tank gets costly. I need to move closer to major cities to find some good deals. I see them on Gumtree but it's usually a weekends worth of driving to get them. When i have the cash on hand i might have to plan a week off and head to Sydney or Brisbane for a buying spree. I have seen four tanks sold locally in the last month and three of them were from one person who is heading overseas. They just sold a very nice 6 foot setup for $500 that i wish i'd had the cash for.

It's nice to get a good deal on the tank and lights when everything that goes into the tank gets costly. I need to move closer to major cities to find some good deals. I see them on Gumtree but it's usually a weekends worth of driving to get them. When i have the cash on hand i might have to plan a week off and head to Sydney or Brisbane for a buying spree. I have seen four tanks sold locally in the last month and three of them were from one person who is heading overseas. They just sold a very nice 6 foot setup for $500 that i wish i'd had the cash for.

Yeah its fun to get a good deal on the tank and lights, but when i think about it this is gonna be expensive. 150$ on a skimmer, 100$ on a return pump, already spent 60$ on dry rock, and thats only 30lbs but then 30 more of live and thats 150$, and all the other supplies can be estimated at 600-700$. So another grand for corals and their need is like 3 grand. You would think you could get a blue tang when spending that much but i guess it costs 5+ to have a tank of that size.

Why can't I give a simple answer?

Nice find on those tanks, i dont really understand why people QT corals, i mean who is that crazy? (no offence if you do) its just over-doing it IMO.

Hope your reef turns out good, What powerheads are you gonna use? I love the hydor koralias because you can change the flow in any direction you want and they arent ugly like maxi-jets and what not.

I was going to change the light and water gradually. Don't worry I'm a fruitcake (crazy person)! Qt will be set to store level, small daily changes with my water to convert to my type.
I read sudden light changes can kill or seriously harm coral. I'll have a brand new led rig on the system tank. I was thinking when the tank is set at a brightness I could adjust from the store brightness to my brightness, also I could spend time observing the specimen and see how/when/what it feeds etc. that's what I did with my fish, I got some really interesting results with fish, eating habits especially useful, time/amounts/types/frequency. Useful data, some fish are totally different to other ones. I guess coral will have the same differences, sweeper tentacle length may be worth observing.

Not sure on wave fan/powerheads. I found a nice wireless set that work from one controller with independent settings, mega money but could be ideal.
I'm not so concerned with looks, if it works well, it works for me. I think that hydor do the smart wave, that is something I have considered, it is on the short list. I've seen an interesting DIY thing that uses lawn sprinklers and the return pump, I may do that I'm not sure yet.

I hope it works too! We are on the same team!

I was going to change the light and water gradually. Don't worry I'm a fruitcake (crazy person)! Qt will be set to store level, small daily changes with my water to convert to my type.
I read sudden light changes can kill or seriously harm coral. I'll have a brand new led rig on the system tank. I was thinking when the tank is set at a brightness I could adjust from the store brightness to my brightness, also I could spend time observing the specimen and see how/when/what it feeds etc. that's what I did with my fish, I got some really interesting results with fish, eating habits especially useful, time/amounts/types/frequency. Useful data, some fish are totally different to other ones. I guess coral will have the same differences, sweeper tentacle length may be worth observing.

Not sure on wave fan/powerheads. I found a nice wireless set that work from one controller with independent settings, mega money but could be ideal.
I'm not so concerned with looks, if it works well, it works for me. I think that hydor do the smart wave, that is something I have considered, it is on the short list. I've seen an interesting DIY thing that uses lawn sprinklers and the return pump, I may do that I'm not sure yet.

I hope it works too! We are on the same team!

Yeah sudden changes of light can bleach the corals so i wouldnt change them.

First of all thank you, my fish are my pride and joy.

You have great diversity. It must be a big issue deciding what you want to watch. I have 2 Comets in separate 20g's at present and i feed in different sessions so i get to watch them both munch away.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place. I know nothing about the fish species or corals yet so i guess i'll have to google some of them. I'm guessing P. Diddy going in this tank when both he and the tank are ready?

Building tanks is easy enough, you are right, those prices are so low the back panel would cost as much as the whole tank.
How is the Brutus build going?
At the moment i have most of my wood measured/marked out (done after work). I'll run my plans by grandpa today though and see if they meet his standards before doing my cutting. I'll see if he wants to get involved.

I think i'll redo the tank myself. I have a recycled piece of glass being cut on Monday or Tuesday. I have a 310g tube of aquarium safe silicone. Not sure if that is enough but i'll probably get another tube today to be safe. Should be about 17 feet of silicone required for the ends of the tank and lid support i will re-attach. I will leave the glass attaching the top brace on and the three intact side lid supports attached. I'll feel more confident knowing everything that holds water has fresh silicone applied. I'm using Selleys "glass"

[link]http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/[/link]

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/

Last edited:
Went to the lfs, got a koralia 425 powerhead for the 20 long, two 20lb bags of live sand for the 60 cube, and a hydrometer for the 20 long. 105$ all together.

You have great diversity. It must be a big issue deciding what you want to watch. I have 2 Comets in separate 20g's at present and i feed in different sessions so i get to watch them both munch away.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place. I know nothing about the fish species or corals yet so i guess i'll have to google some of them. I'm guessing P. Diddy going in this tank when both he and the tank are ready?

At the moment i have most of my wood measured/marked out (done after work). I'll run my plans by grandpa today though and see if they meet his standards before doing my cutting. I'll see if he wants to get involved.

I think i'll redo the tank myself. I have a recycled piece of glass being cut on Monday or Tuesday. I have a 310g tube of aquarium safe silicone. Not sure if that is enough but i'll probably get another tube today to be safe. Should be about 17 feet of silicone required for the ends of the tank and lid support i will re-attach. I will leave the glass attaching the top brace on and the three intact side lid supports attached. I'll feel more confident knowing everything that holds water has fresh silicone applied. I'm using Selleys "glass"

[link]http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/[/link]

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/

P.diddy has his own home, he will remain there forever. He is low end brackish (saline but much lower than marine by about 80% salt per litre)
Sometimes I enjoy watching the various fish, I'm sort of lucky, the planted tank is best at lights on, the clowns are best at lights off, p.diddy is always good but it's really fun watching him eat.

Like you I feed different sessions according to fish habit.

I remembered about your thread, duh:facepalm:, yes I posted there after my last post here.
Some strange reason tells me uncle gramps is the man? A lifetime of building.

There is nothing like piece of mind where large volumes of water and livestock are concerned, especially when it involves DIY!

No i havemt put it in yet, it will go in tommarow. Found a bunch small white shrimp swimming around the back wall and corals. Dont know what they are but also found some wierd slugs in the tank aswell.

Weird slugs,
They might be nudibranchs! Could be cool. Vibrant colours. Post a pic.

Came home from the lfs and found a large squirrel had
Gotten into my cockatiels cage and had scratch/bited them (two of them) and now i have to go to the vet tommarow and that will cost some $ so im afraid all funding for the tanks is now 0.

Mainly every day feed, watch them a little and check on everyone briefly, lots of working right now, not very much fish fun for me :(.

A couple days ago I ate at a Korean restaurant and they featured stainless steel chop sticks. I ask about buying them and they said no, but my daughter bought some for me online while we sat and ate lunch, LOL so I can use them in my tanks for arranging my plants and rocks and almost anything. I use the bamboo ones for all kinds of things and I am excited about it. Yeah I am a fish addict, I admit it. :whistle: They haven't arrived yet.

I couldn't move the Koi Angel pair AGAIN this week, and they just laid eggs again. :facepalm: I was going to move them tomorrow but I hate to move them as they just laid the eggs and are fertilizing them now as I write this...

I found a really pretty Red Rili Shrimp in my Fire Reds 6.6G Edge tank (they pop up occasionally) and I have at least two brown red "chocolate cherry" shrimp. Since these lovely different shrimp will degrade my dark red shrimp I am trying to decide what action I will take on them.

Frozen brine shrimp for the next feeding. (y) This should make everyone happy!!!

Got a lot of coloured cable ties and used them to label my plugs. Blue for filters, red for heaters, yellow for lights. Also used them to label my quarantine tank's syphon and bucket so I don't accidentally mix things.

Cabletied my multiplug to the bottom of the stand so it's less likely that water can get to it by running down cables.

All neat now!

Test all tanks. Today is water change day. Buckets hoses and an old power head to put the water back in tanks. My fish room will be a mess for a while today.
Plus I have a little 10 gallon tank to set up for my 7 year old daughter. I am considering giving her a 20 gal tall tank that I am not useing at the moment.
Lots of things to get done with my fishy friends today.

I had a productive day today, tested both tanks, water change for the guppies - rearranged their tank, connected new air stone, scrubbed and scrubbed all plants and decorations that I was given. Attempted to count fry in tank - gave up, decided snails were required so went and bought some and added them (they are way cool to watch!!) cleaned all the outside of the tanks, started setting up my guppy nursery as I have 4 females ready to drop any day :) Then spent an hour or so watching them all while I had a beer :) awesome day :)

Water change and re-introduced a b/n catfish back out of QT. Bit of a squabble going on as territories are sorted out again.

The plants were apparently grown across and blocking a hidey-hole for the loaches as they have been all carefully pruned / destroyed.

Got a lot of coloured cable ties and used them to label my plugs. Blue for filters, red for heaters, yellow for lights. Also used them to label my quarantine tank's syphon and bucket so I don't accidentally mix things.

Cabletied my multiplug to the bottom of the stand so it's less likely that water can get to it by running down cables.

All neat now!
★That is really cool, I like that idea!

I had a productive day today, tested both tanks, water change for the guppies - rearranged their tank, connected new air stone, scrubbed and scrubbed all plants and decorations that I was given. Attempted to count fry in tank - gave up, decided snails were required so went and bought some and added them (they are way cool to watch!!) cleaned all the outside of the tanks, started setting up my guppy nursery as I have 4 females ready to drop any day :) Then spent an hour or so watching them all while I had a beer :) awesome day :)
★Sounds like progress=) and beer is good too. Lol

Just got home. About to turn on lights and feed all tanks. I work at my lfs today, dropping off hermit crabs and guppies for pond (mosquito control). Also I have to drop off a package at the post office. Happy holidays everyone!

Back
Top Bottom