What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I did a 50% change on the 55, moved all that water into the aquaponics system outside that is still cycling, so the plants could use the nitrates.
Also did a thorough cleaning of the filter and the lines on the 55.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water change and replanting in the 20. I rested for the first since starting EI dosing and I need to cut back on kno3.

Water change and replanting in the 20. I rested for the first since starting EI dosing and I need to cut back on kno3.

I am doing PPS-Pro and stopped adding the KNO3 because the nitrates were already 10-20 with no ferts.

WCs on the planted and shrimp tanks. Swapped the Fluval CO2 diffuser for a generic glass one (Fluval is taking an H2O2 bath). Noticed that it had a different pressure resistance and had to adjust the fine tuning valve on the regulator. The glass diffuser does not have a suction cup so it won't stay put; right now I have the bubbles hit the output of the hob filter to increase CO2 distribution.

If the python is out of the question then a simple hose from outside to where the tank is kept indoors would cut down 50% of the carrying. Fill the bucket and mix water conditioner in front of the tank. A reliable nozzle to stop/start the water would be helpful too and in case it ever pops off the hose i would keep an extra empty bucket handy in case it ever needs to be carried outside while the water is running uncontrollably.

Sadly we live in NYC so we don't have a hose...

Found a deceased guppy today. RIP unnamed guppy (from petco but kinda looked endler-ish). She was ok this morning, zooming around the tank as usual then this evening she was found at the bottom dead. :'(

Sadly we live in NYC so we don't have a hose...

Found a deceased guppy today. RIP unnamed guppy (from petco but kinda looked endler-ish). She was ok this morning, zooming around the tank as usual then this evening she was found at the bottom dead. :'(

Sad news :(

Maybe a full life?

Water change on tank, fish looking good and convinced they are starving :). 4 litres of liquid carbon turned up in the post so stashed that away.

Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.
e5emu2us.jpg

Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.
e5emu2us.jpg

About the carbon at the bottom of the tank, just siphon it into a bucket. You can then slowly pour the water back into the tank (well most of it).

Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

About the carbon at the bottom of the tank, just siphon it into a bucket. You can then slowly pour the water back into the tank (well most of it).

Thank you! Do you know if it is harmful to the fish if I put any in there before siphoning?

Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good thing you looked! Fishies should be grateful. :)

e5emu2us.jpg

I wouldn't put all ro water in your tank. I have the same problem with mine ph always sits at about 8 or 8.2. And I did some research, mainly here on aa. If you have all to water in your system you will have no hardness or alkalinity. These parameters act as a buffering capacity in your tank and prevent swings in your ph. Swing in ph are much more harmful to your fish than a steady constant ph.
Have you any way of testing gh and kh.
Also ro water generally has a low ph and as far as I know tanks cycle faster with a higher ph, and the cycle will more than likely stall at a ph of below 6.
A lot depends on what you want to stock your tank with. Live bearers prefer a higher ph.

^^ sorry I also meant to say you will get a lot more responses to this if you set up a new thread

First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

I don't remember how to make my own.

I love watching my Jack Dempsey parents. They are so protective and attentive!

Attachments

• 1397588323778.jpg
    1397588323778.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom