What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Took 30% out and put 35% in to top the evaporation gap. Tested parameters, added more pH Down. Fed them their flakes and watched them be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399170575718.jpg
    1399170575718.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 88
Took 30% out and put 35% in to top the evaporation gap. Tested parameters, added more pH Down. Fed them their flakes and watched them be happy.

Your ph will be constantly bouncing like that, better to just leave it alone unless it's off the charts.

Varied feeding and some big WC for every tank, then added meds to one tank. Prep work on a sump, glass cut to size for partitions then sanding some glass i cut poorly. The battle against greenwater in my kuhli tank goes poorly despite having a dedicated filter with floss only to catch it from the water column. The filter is effective but it has a tough fight. I changed the floss today and i could have painted my walls green with the floss i removed.

Through the week i think the last of my shrimp died in the tank. It's not a good week for the tank because i found a dried up Kuhli under the stand while tidying up after WC too. i saw two of the babies that had almost reached maturity after the last WC so maybe some young shrimp are left but i think they are on borrowed time too. Kuhlis seem healthy enough though.

Your ph will be constantly bouncing like that, better to just leave it alone unless it's off the charts.

I wanted to get it in the 7 point range. It was way up. Wanted to lower so I can lower ammonia. I have a pH balancer solution that helps keep it at whatever you put it at so you have less WCs. I think it is called Easy Balance by Tetra. I am just being a little scientist. Nothing that will harm the fish, though. Just experimenting. When these fish are gone one day I may get different ones. So I am just checking everything out. : )

I wanted to get it in the 7 point range. It was way up. Wanted to lower so I can lower ammonia. I have a pH balancer solution that helps keep it at whatever you put it at so you have less WCs. I think it is called Easy Balance by Tetra. I am just being a little scientist. Nothing that will harm the fish, though. Just experimenting. When these fish are gone one day I may get different ones. So I am just checking everything out. : )

While you're cycling, just keep doing 50% water changes. 35% changes do a little for water chemistry. Just keep changing water to keep ammonia down. A stable water chemistry is better than an ideal water chemistry.

I typically do 35% every time and it keeps it about the same. I have a 20G tank and only 7 gallons of jugs to maintain water in. I still live at home due to mental problems, and mom says, "7 is plenty". Apparently 3 more jugs will "fill the room". But, if 50% is more necessary I guess I can sneak 3.

Big clean on my elephant nose tank added new plants for him looks a lot better.
Got my eye on a new 63 gallon tank with stand for him not sure whether to buy it as I'm concerned the move might kill him since he needs a mature tank :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Went from gravel to sand big project but I love it already still really cloudy. Here's a before and after. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399412345.296680.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399412359.381788.jpg

Started operation plant control today. I'm trying some pruning techniques to help encourage healthy, lush, and more compact plants. I'm taking it slow. Today I pruned some dwarf sag and my swords. Tomorrow I'll trim and replant my bacopa australis.

Cleaned out the snail bucket and extra plants in 2 buckets. Had received some plants from a swap and they were in the top of the bucket to get the most light. 3 small Echinodorus angustifolia - Vesuvius Sword Which is REALLY fun and interesting, 3 little bitty Blyxa Japonica. Some Riccia or some sort of Crystal Wort the size of a nickle, looks barely alive right now. Not too sure.

But the real fun, was that I kinda forgot that there were 2 Assassin snails which were a bonus, at the time I got them I put them into the bucket with the most pond snails and therefore saved what few reds I had left. They had already gone to town and there were a dozen empty shells of the little guys.

So I picked out tiny snails from the buckets from the size of a pin tip, some newly hatched reds, to mostly babies, but some the size of a dot, to give the snails something to eat, and save the ones I really wanted and it was good to see a few left from one of my original Grand daddy blue grey Ramshorns!

Rinsed and cleaned the plants and moss.

Changed the water for the Betta girls and got all that back into their containers.

Last night the Elephant Ear Betta went to his new home, and the report this morning, was that he was doing fine.

So in the last 2 days, I have emptied and reduced one bucket and the 2.5G mini bowfront. The mistaken male Betta that was in the female Betta cup needs to go back to the store and get exchanged. HE wasn't in the "she" plan and I can't justify another tank for him, he originally killed the 2 lil babies I first had. Sad, but it wasn't his fault he was in the wrong cup.

Here are a couple pics I thought were fun.

The Anubias plant I got from the Colorado Aquarium Society aution had a flower, and this week I found a new bud. The 1st pic is the two together, then the bud and then the flower.

60074-albums11380-picture66472.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66469.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66470.jpg

When I fed the fish some sinking wafers and I came back to check on them I found this!

60074-albums11380-picture66475.jpg

Bowl o snails anyone?

60074-albums11380-picture66476.jpg

This little guy was upset the snails had dog piled, urm, snail piled on the wafer, so I had to add a little more.
60074-albums11380-picture66471.jpg

Did 75% pwc on 5G and hooked up filter

Wow! Snail overload! Mine don't seem to be as breeding-happy as yours. Either that or they morphed into pond snails :p

Back
Top Bottom