What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Alan and Rodeo one, can't believe i would get attached to a shrimp!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Played God in the shelldweller tank! While the fish were still asleep in their shells, I rearranged everything so I could fit in my sponge filter and also to try and give a chance to one poor little guy who got exiled to the top corner.

All of their hard work to create their territories and shell fortresses, and in one fell swoop I undid all of it and set them back to square one! And I'll do it again and again until they learn to play nice and everyone gets a space (y)

Played God in the shelldweller tank! While the fish were still asleep in their shells, I rearranged everything so I could fit in my sponge filter and also to try and give a chance to one poor little guy who got exiled to the top corner.

All of their hard work to create their territories and shell fortresses, and in one fell swoop I undid all of it and set them back to square one! And I'll do it again and again until they learn to play nice and everyone gets a space (y)

I miss my multis. It was amazing how they would move everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Decided to do a water change a found a terrible surprise. There were two roaches in the filter compartment. Worst day of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Decided to do a water change a found a terrible surprise. There were two roaches in the filter compartment. Worst day of my life.

That's awful :eek: nasty things! I would've had to leave my hubby to deal with that! Poor you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mixed things up a bit this week with my WC schedule. Usually i do WC on 6 tanks on sunday and it feels like a real time killer at the tail end of my weekend when i'm dreading the thought of work on monday. So it's a three day spread now. 35g sunday, 2x20g monday or tuesday and my smaller tanks thursday. Spreading the work over a few days has made it more relaxed but it does feel like i am always changing water. I'm not sure what method i prefer. I may alter it again to doing it on friday before i relax for the weekend. Clean tanks on friday makes for better weekend viewing. I feel guilty watching a tank with waste on the bottom although the fish don't seem bothered much when the plants keep the nitrates down.

So yesterday i fed peas to most of my fish. Today i spoiled them by giving them a variety of their treats. Bloodwroms for my Goldfish, brine shrimp + bloodworms for my community, Kuhlis & Betta. Everyone seemed happy. I got a rare sighting of my two shy BN plecos at once and both look healthy.

I had to do a tank shuffle last week and it prompted a rescape on my then snail filled 5g betta tank. Added black gravel, some black stones with marble tracings 3 crypt varieties, hairgrass and some stems. It looked close to what i imagined and i was happy but she was not. The light i am using is fairly bright for a small tank and she could only hide in shade under the lamp base. She had about a 5x5cm area of good shadow on the floor of the tank. I didn't want to build a cave of rocks because i like the marbled stone in there already.

I looked through my driftwood collection and found the perfect bit for the job. It hides the bubble filter perfectly and looks great in the tank. It has an elevated hollow that will soon have an anubias trimming living in it. She swam through the DW tunnel a few times within a minute of me placing it so she seemed impressed. Hopefully the Crypts in there grow in reasonably quickly so she has shadowy areas through half the tank. The Anubias will also add to her shade when i attach it. I hope to see it grow out of the water along the protruding DW eventually.

Yesterday I got a nutrafin co2 latter. Hopefully it breaks in quick.

Added a piece of DW and moved the wisteria around it. Fist planted tank, and I love it!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414942344049.jpg
    1414942344049.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 63
In the last few weeks since I posted, my fish had ich (and three died), dropsy, and mysterious deaths. A bunch of fry died. We found blackworms in the substrate and realized they were the cause for the dirt going above the gravel, not the MTS which we 'rented' three clown loaches to help control. The driftwood also started rotting (it was stinky and mushy does anyone know why that would happen?). We decided to redo the tank.

We took everything out and threw out the substrate (which was stinky and gross not to mention the disgusting worms) and replaced it with natural gravel. We took new terra cotta pots and put dirt and capped it with gravel to put the plants back in the tank. Basically we went (mostly) fake.

Then a fish got really bloated, I think it had a swim bladder infection because it floated at the top all day and had a hard time getting to the bottom. Another fish died too of some tail disease I think it ended up looking like finrot. His tail disappeared in parts, but before that his tail got bumpy and puffy. We had some fry born but I couldn't catch them and now I don't see them anymore.

How do you guys deal with extreme losses and mess-ups? I'm honestly thinking of getting rid of the tank because it's become a lot of work and stress.

In the last few weeks since I posted, my fish had ich (and three died), dropsy, and mysterious deaths. A bunch of fry died. We found blackworms in the substrate and realized they were the cause for the dirt going above the gravel, not the MTS which we 'rented' three clown loaches to help control. The driftwood also started rotting (it was stinky and mushy does anyone know why that would happen?). We decided to redo the tank.

We took everything out and threw out the substrate (which was stinky and gross not to mention the disgusting worms) and replaced it with natural gravel. We took new terra cotta pots and put dirt and capped it with gravel to put the plants back in the tank. Basically we went (mostly) fake.

Then a fish got really bloated, I think it had a swim bladder infection because it floated at the top all day and had a hard time getting to the bottom. Another fish died too of some tail disease I think it ended up looking like finrot. His tail disappeared in parts, but before that his tail got bumpy and puffy. We had some fry born but I couldn't catch them and now I don't see them anymore.

How do you guys deal with extreme losses and mess-ups? I'm honestly thinking of getting rid of the tank because it's become a lot of work and stress.

Sorry to hear of so many problems for you Kitty.

I think you just have to consider all the things you are doing with the tank. How much joy it has or could bring to your life and how much time or stress it is using/creating. After you get the hang of it and get the right stride going for the tank. They can pretty much run themselves, lol (with you doing the feeding and water changes, etc.) and be a huge joy.

They are a fair amount of time and effort. Research and learning. I think worth it. Though I am still trying to downsize my projects/tanks to simplify. Then I started the SW :facepalm: Maybe I still need to learn about what the word simplify means!!!

For you, consider what had worked and what hasn't and what you should change so that it would work better. Maybe take things more slowly, build the tank around the fish you enjoy most.

My friends Dumbo Betta passed away a few days ago, I had given it to her about a year ago. It was already full grown, so I am not too sure what happened to it but that was kinda sad. She now still has the 2 dwarf frogs and a couple snails.

My daughter who was bringing over my SW and RODI water could't make it because one of her foster kittens got sick.

I am starting pwc on the smaller tanks today, shrimp tanks first then the others. Moving my fish from the QT over to the 72G. 2 Cories, 2 Albino BN Plecos and a lone Diamond Tetra. (its tank mates died in the pH crash and I haven't found them again yet)

I am hoping to be able to catch the 2 Albino BN Plecos in my 12G Edge tank at some point and get them moved to the 72G as well, then the shrimp might end up with a higher population, with them not slurping up misc. babies. Boy do I regret putting those little babies in the shrimp tanks.

The little shrimp babies have a few more babies to keep them company in the 6.6G Edge. I am hoping to get that full tank clean out done soon but the newer babies are still too darn small to sort through everything/worth the extra time it would take. I was given a nice bag of fish supplies from my mom who didn't keep her tank. A new bottle of Prime, Flourish Filter pad/bags, some Shrimp food, Hikari foods, and filter, heaters. Nice bonus.

That brings me to the topic of money saved from the above to the probable expenditure for a new light for the 72G. We will likely be going for a nice computer controlled one, LED. My present bulb, and last planted tank one is old and causing a bit too much algae, I had thought there was one more but after plugging it in, it is dead. SO... new light fixture. The money it would take to get a new bulb will go towards a new light fixture YAY!!! Only been waiting 2 years!

Going to put a dozen Neon Tetras into the QT tank when my daughter buys them, they will be for her tank.

Whewww! I think that's it! Now to get busy. ;)

Last edited:

I'm also sorry to hear your tank has had bad issues. It can be very discouraging but i think it is worth sticking with things. If the tank is empty of fish at the moment maybe it is time to give it a good dose of bleach to disinfect the tank before starting up again. If you feel very discouraged right now maybe give it a month, create a new plan of attack and take time to research a nice community that matches your water conditions & tank before starting out again. I think i took a month or two away from fishkeeping atfer i had a complete die off in my original tank.

The driftwood may have been a softwood which rots quickly. I read somewhere that you should try and scratch the wood with a fingernail, if it is harder than your nail it won't rot in the tank in a hurry.

Added a piece of DW and moved the wisteria around it. Fist planted tank, and I love it!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks good fish wrangler. I never developed MTS until i started with live plants. I had 1 20g for about 7 years, then i saw a picture of a nice planted tank, about a year later and i have 6 planted tanks running.

Sorry to hear of so many problems for you Kitty.

I think you just have to consider all the things you are doing with the tank. How much joy it has or could bring to your life and how much time or stress it is using/creating. After you get the hang of it and get the right stride going for the tank. They can pretty much run themselves, lol (with you doing the feeding and water changes, etc.) and be a huge joy.

They are a fair amount of time and effort. Research and learning. I think worth it. Though I am still trying to downsize my projects/tanks to simplify. Then I started the SW :facepalm: Maybe I still need to learn about what the word simplify means!!!

For you, consider what had worked and what hasn't and what you should change so that it would work better. Maybe take things more slowly, build the tank around the fish you enjoy most.

My friends Dumbo Betta passed away a few days ago, I had given it to her about a year ago. It was already full grown, so I am not too sure what happened to it but that was kinda sad. She now still has the 2 dwarf frogs and a couple snails.

My daughter who was bringing over my SW and RODI water could't make it because one of her foster kittens got sick.

I am starting pwc on the smaller tanks today, shrimp tanks first then the others. Moving my fish from the QT over to the 72G. 2 Cories, 2 Albino BN Plecos and a lone Diamond Tetra. (its tank mates died in the pH crash and I haven't found them again yet)

I am hoping to be able to catch the 2 Albino BN Plecos in my 12G Edge tank at some point and get them moved to the 72G as well, then the shrimp might end up with a higher population, with them not slurping up misc. babies. Boy do I regret putting those little babies in the shrimp tanks.

The little shrimp babies have a few more babies to keep them company in the 6.6G Edge. I am hoping to get that full tank clean out done soon but the newer babies are still too darn small to sort through everything/worth the extra time it would take. I was given a nice bag of fish supplies from my mom who didn't keep her tank. A new bottle of Prime, Flourish Filter pad/bags, some Shrimp food, Hikari foods, and filter, heaters. Nice bonus.

That brings me to the topic of money saved from the above to the probable expenditure for a new light for the 72G. We will likely be going for a nice computer controlled one, LED. My present bulb, and last planted tank one is old and causing a bit too much algae, I had thought there was one more but after plugging it in, it is dead. SO... new light fixture. The money it would take to get a new bulb will go towards a new light fixture YAY!!! Only been waiting 2 years!

Going to put a dozen Neon Tetras into the QT tank when my daughter buys them, they will be for her tank.

Whewww! I think that's it! Now to get busy. ;)

Lighting upgrades are always exciting. I have nothing better than dual T5's on one tank at this stage. I got the tank they are running on established about 2 weeks ago and the plants are enjoying the light. .

I'm sorry your old betta died at your friends. I get the feeling that they sometimes just give up when they become sick.

Anyway, just completed a WC on my 35g. Will do a change on my snail growout tank soon too. I've earned $65 from my LFS selling them. It's handy having the tank full of snails nearby as a cleanup crew if Algea rears it's head and they're a nice source of freebies from the LFS.

Got some news from my dad this week. I gave him a 20g a few months back and he was quick to get a stand built and fish in there. He tells me i am now an uncle to his scaled childrens first fry. I am not even sure what he has in there apart from platies and a BN pleco. I'm glad to hear his scaled family are thriving though. I am tempted to send him a pack of plant trimmings. I know he has Anubias in there but not sure if he's added anything else. He retired about 2 years ago so i'm sure he will enjoy tinkering with them.

Lighting upgrades are always exciting. I have nothing better than dual T5's on one tank at this stage. I got the tank they are running on established about 2 weeks ago and the plants are enjoying the light. .

I'm sorry your old betta died at your friends. I get the feeling that they sometimes just give up when they become sick.

Anyway, just completed a WC on my 35g. Will do a change on my snail growout tank soon too. I've earned $65 from my LFS selling them. It's handy having the tank full of snails nearby as a cleanup crew if Algea rears it's head and they're a nice source of freebies from the LFS.

Got some news from my dad this week. I gave him a 20g a few months back and he was quick to get a stand built and fish in there. He tells me i am now an uncle to his scaled childrens first fry. I am not even sure what he has in there apart from platies and a BN pleco. I'm glad to hear his scaled family are thriving though. I am tempted to send him a pack of plant trimmings. I know he has Anubias in there but not sure if he's added anything else. He retired about 2 years ago so i'm sure he will enjoy tinkering with them.

Thats pretty amazing to sell so many snails. Though there can be ALOT of them lol! After my pH crash all the adult Mystery snails (actually ALL the varieties, MTS, RH and a couple nice pond) died. I got a bunch of Blue MS from a member here and they are doing great, happy to report that I was able to share 2 with a new invert convert...boyfriend of my daughter's roommate!

Daughter brought 10 tetras and an adopted full grown Cory over to QT. And the SW and RODI water, yay pwc for SW today.

So caught all the fish and took out everything from the overflow 16G QT tank and then decided I might as well clean it out and rinse the substrate with treated clean water, so did complete clean out on the tank, did the filters a couple weeks ago so will wait a bit for that.

Moving the fish from the 16G into the the 72G, taking some time to acclimate as the pH is a bit different.

Found a good home for one of my Angels; going to new home in 2 weeks.

Think I decided to make the 16G a "plant tank" and get some higher lighting for it and just have a few snails in it. Found a seller of dwarf Cory Hastatus so considering them, they also have Chocolate /Cherry shrimp, and I will maybe pick up a handful of those as well.

I am leaning towards shrimp as my favorites now and someone I know of is selling Orange Eye Blue Tiger shrimp and I am looking at those for my 6.6 gallon tank.

There is a local hobbyist who is offering a bunch of some of the coolest fish I have seen in awhile, Killifish Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Innidere' and wow, am I in love. :smitten: google only shows one pic of it which is a steely midnight blue with red spots on the body and golden yellow edges on the rear fins, when I googled again that pic it didn't come up but it is amazing.

Yesterday was a good hunting day "fishing" for leads!!! :lol:

Always good when I feel inspired!!!

Listed a tank and stand for sale locally. $ for the new stuff fingers crossed and Birthday, and Christmas list soon.

I'm thinking about tearing down my 20 planted and changing everything or just redoing it.:( I'm tired of needing to replant every few days.

I'm thinking about tearing down my 20 planted and changing everything or just redoing it.:( I'm tired of needing to replant every few days.

Do it, you will be much happier if you can find plants which stay the size you want. There are many selections which might not be commonly available at stores, though hobbyists have them. A really neat little plant I found a couple months ago was Bolbitus 'Baby Leaf' and I was told it is found for sale around autumn time. Very nice plant. Happy planning. :)

Who's tearing up the place?
-------------------
I made up a new bottle of PPS Pro Macro mix. Such fun. Watched the fish for about five minutes (while feeding and dosing the plants). 14 hour work day did not help.

Well, this morning I've been scraping off some algae from three tanks which are close to my window. Been looking at it for about two weeks and in some way I just didn't feel like cleaning them. But this evening I'll have some people over to buy some fish. And yes, how that can be a trigger to start cleaning...

Who's tearing up the place?
-------------------
I made up a new bottle of PPS Pro Macro mix. Such fun. Watched the fish for about five minutes (while feeding and dosing the plants). 14 hour work day did not help.

A little firemouth. He's about 2.5 inches.

I was given some free plants in bags today at my LFS who are great people. Bought some flake feed and almost bought a Betta. The plants are Broadleaf Lobelia (Lobelia Cardinalis) and Crypt Balansae. I already have some healthy Balansae but the Lobelia will be good if it survives. It was almost dead in the bag but i've found a home for it in my Betta tank already. I didn't have room for anything more until i was getting them free. The Balansae is just showing some new leaves in the bag so it's going to survive. I have no idea where i will find space to plant it.

I emptied my 20, put the substrate back in and put in some new dw. Not sure if I want to tie some moss/anubias to it. I'll post pics once it clears up a bit.

I also threw away a huge clump of plants that were rotting in a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom