What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been crazy busy.

Today was a little bit of fun though. Did pwc for DD on 46G bowfront (DD with broken elbow) and cleaned out about a gallon bag of Java Moss from every nook and cranny including hiding in the middle of the "DW" deco and under all rocks and DW pieces. She put on the rocks and DW on top of the clumps all trying to keep it contained, instead caused about half of it to degrade and muck up the water. Put all the moss and tiny floating plants into a cylinder vase to keep it alive and cleared the intake of mossy bits on the AC110 to clean it up. Added EXTRA Prime.

Went to the Colorado Aquarium Society meeting, met a new friend, had fun learning about and seeing pics for all types of Apistogramma from Mike Wise. Wow, there are some dedicated fish hunter/discoverers, keepers and breeders. Amazing fish.

Bought some plants and got 4 new Rainbow Emperor Tetras Nematobrycon lacortei offspring from some which were collected from South America which Mike Wise brought in to share in the auction. They are young still and I hope to grow them up into very beautiful specimens. Will get some pics in the next couple days.

Angel pair #2 spawned night before on the slate rock and Angel pair #1 started cleaning their side of the tank so I hurried up and put their favorite Anubias back in there from the QT tank and presto, tonight, new eggs. Both bunches look really good.

I'll try to circle back in a few weeks. I did notice today that the purigen was already a little darker than yesterday.

Thanks stoker, Nigelk said he can see a difference, see how yours go, my tank is pretty clear without it.

The purigen's been running a full week now and I can see a difference. My water was clear to begin with, so it's not as noticeable from the sides of the glass. Where I really notice the difference is when I look from the top down. The clarity that I get looking at the bottom substrate, plants and fish is amazing.

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, added a new sponge to the filter. Fed him bloodworm and he had a blanched pea that I put in for the shrimp!
Fed spinach and spirulina powder to my vampire shrimp.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Got my 3"x5" mat of java fern today! First time ordering plants (or anything living) online. Great transaction on eBay...

attachment.php
Look really good and healthy, don't plant, fix to bog wood or rock as you may know, use fishing line...(y)

10 gal water change on my 29. Followed with dosing of leafzone, comp, and iron. Also trimmed one wisteria stem...it had finally gotten to long for me.

Rearranged things in the 10 gallon qt. Added a fake log and tied 3 java ferns to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look really good and healthy, don't plant, fix to bog wood or rock as you may know, use fishing line...(y)

For now I have them just sitting loosely in the gravel without the rhizome buried. Going to look for some small wood to attach to next.

Rearranged things yesterday with the new plants, including whatever it is I picked up at the LFS yesterday that's in front of the rocks. I think ludwigia repens?

Ignore the anubias hanging in the top left, those are just some trimmings I left floating for now. Any feedback? I'm pretty new to plants beyond the uber easy anubias (they're all I had the last several years in there and they did great). Staying low tech/low light for the time being. Oh, and I'd like to get a decent sized piece of driftwood eventually.

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
The purigen's been running a full week now and I can see a difference. My water was clear to begin with, so it's not as noticeable from the sides of the glass. Where I really notice the difference is when I look from the top down. The clarity that I get looking at the bottom substrate, plants and fish is amazing.
That's good to know, Will try some Thanks...

For now I have them just sitting loosely in the gravel without the rhizome buried. Going to look for some small wood to attach to next.

Rearranged things yesterday with the new plants, including whatever it is I picked up at the LFS yesterday that's in front of the rocks. I think ludwigia repens?

Ignore the anubias hanging in the top left, those are just some trimmings I left floating for now. Any feedback? I'm pretty new to plants beyond the uber easy anubias (they're all I had the last several years in there and they did great). Staying low tech/low light for the time being. Oh, and I'd like to get a decent sized piece of driftwood eventually.
Looks good as a centre piece Stooker, the nice thing about these is you can stick them in crevices in tall driftwood, high or low for a natural look, your lighting looks pretty dark unless it's the photo, you could get yellowing on leaves, I use liquid ferts for java and plant tabs for other plants under the gravel/sand........

Looks good as a centre piece Stooker, the nice thing about these is you can stick them in crevices in tall driftwood, high or low for a natural look, your lighting looks pretty dark unless it's the photo, you could get yellowing on leaves, I use liquid ferts for java and plant tabs for other plants under the gravel/sand........

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the light is low, it's what came with the aquarium. I don't have plans at the moment to go any higher, so just keeping it to the easy stuff. The anubias did outstanding with those lights for three years, so hoping the java fern does the same. Who knows what the future holds? The more I read, the more I want to go all the way with plants!

H202 treatments in a couple of tanks with Black beard & Green hair algae followed by WC in all my tanks. I cleaned out three of the six filters in these tanks. I also trimmed the stem plants i have growing in almost all my tanks and replanted some healthy tips where the stems lower down are looking a bit worse for wear. My latest 35g tank is almost filled in to the point i like (excluding the foreground which i struggle to do well) but the sunset Hygro i have in that tank has struggled for nutrients. I have slowly been upping the dose of ferts i apply to this tank but the hygro is not thriving. I may give the hygro some root tabs so it hasn't got to compete with the rest of the stem plants for nutrients.

My Kuhli tank needs a lot of work and i did nothing more than a water change with it. This tank is a magnet for green hair algae and i'd love to dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide but Kuhli and the sole surviving shrimp in there won't do the best with peroxide treatments. It's turned into such a jungle lately and i know it will be a good half hour or more of trimming and replanting to get it back to a point where i can see anything. I can spend 15 minutes pulling out clumps of green hair algae and still not see much difference in how much is present. The Kuhli's appreciate an overgrown tank though. They can be seen dangling from leaves throughout the tank like ornaments on a christmas tree. I'm contemplating doing a rescape on their tank at this stage and seeing if i do only have the 1 cherry shrimp alive in the tank. I'd love to be able to blast the green hair algae while all the plants are removed too.

I am also due to replace about 7 bottles of DIY CO2 that i run on my tanks. I'm out of sugar though and it's not something i think to buy when i do my shopping.

My Kuhli tank needs a lot of work and i did nothing more than a water change with it. This tank is a magnet for green hair algae and i'd love to dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide but Kuhli and the sole surviving shrimp in there won't do the best with peroxide treatments. It's turned into such a jungle lately and i know it will be a good half hour or more of trimming and replanting to get it back to a point where i can see anything. I can spend 15 minutes pulling out clumps of green hair algae and still not see much difference in how much is present. The Kuhli's appreciate an overgrown tank though. They can be seen dangling from leaves throughout the tank like ornaments on a christmas tree. I'm contemplating doing a rescape on their tank at this stage and seeing if i do only have the 1 cherry shrimp alive in the tank.

Welcome to the jungle... I have been saying that about my tanks a lot lately, lol.

Kuhlis like to eat shrimp. I had an experience where I had about 200 shrimp and added the little bunch of baby Kuhlis, and they grew so nice and strong and hungry. I think the shrimp were like potato chips, you can't eat just one and with something like five little ones I rarely ever saw new shrimp babies grow up. Catching them was the problem, I had a heck of a time accomplishing that. Finally had to take and redo the tank when I moved to get them all. I was in the middle of selling off the shrimp in the tank and there was never a recovery because the little buggers ate them up...fast.

Though the Kuhlis sound very happy there, next time take a few pics, lol, I would get a laugh out of seeing them dangling!

Oh and I am gonna try to add the sticky tape to the new light and then the 12G Rimless garden!

Just added escargot shells to my WIP shelldweller tank, 36 shells... My Shellie's are gonna be very spoiled

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pwc day on my shrimp tank, found babies today in both my tank's so I was pretty excited :)
Receiving some red nose rhino and bee shrimp next week, just trying to figure which tank to put them in.

Pwc day on my shrimp tank, found babies today in both my tank's so I was pretty excited :)
Receiving some red nose rhino and bee shrimp next week, just trying to figure which tank to put them in.

Yay for babies!!! And new shrimp. The Rhino ones are so interesting!

Well I got a collector Urchin (Tripneustes gratilla) have seen it called Halloween and he is orange and green and black and brown. Pretty much looks just like the one on wikipedia. I have to head to work, and will post the acclimation pic tonight or in the morning. I have to get a bunch of sea grass for him to eat and maybe algae wafers. I only have one plantlet of Turtle grass and it isn't very big, maybe 2-3 leaves and 4 inches tall atm. Right now it is feeding on the algae on the glass. I have been saving it up for him, lol.

Had ghost shrimp in this tank for a little bit and wanted to add some variety :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423876461.214580.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423876509.336981.jpg

Acclimating a small blue male Betta
And two ADF :D

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Added a 10 gallon sump to daughters 20 gallons salty ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423897931.095824.jpg

Jim B from Tennessee

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, algae scrub.
I had to be careful as I have lot's off baby rcs, and had visions of me sucking them up! My elephant nose has scratched himself again :rolleyes: so I think it's time for a bigger pipe.

Back
Top Bottom