What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a quote from the regional section I posted late last night...
"GREAT fun day!

I ended up volunteering (getting volunteered because no one came to take over ) for a job which kept me busy the whole time but gave me enough flexibility to run around and check and buy some things too!

At the end there was crazy cheap deals. I got vinegar eel culture for $1. big bag of Wisteria plants for $1. Bag of frag plugs all assorted sizes and types for $1.
3 Bags of Fluval gravel 1 bag of stones new in bag for $0.80 each!!! (14.99 retail each)

Friend picked up Blue Green Rili shrimp 6 for $12.00.

The awesome cool thing I got was a trio of young Blue Gularis Killifish. Really amazing color. My head is spinning how awesome these fish will look. Woot, woot! look up google "Blue Gularis Killifish Sumer" and you will see a (excellent photo by Sumer) example of the breeding group. So happy about them!

ok, and if you are already kicking yourself for not coming...there was a 55G tank went for under 20. A 20G complete with nice gravel for $15. And a 125G that was around the same. Yes I said 125G...OMGG! I was busy doing something and missed the exact price, but they started those bids at $1. "

Theresa, don't know about yours but our auction was awesome!!!

Some highlights were the same Gularis only a pair went for $8. I wanted to get them but only had a small budget. :(

Red Millennium Rainbow s 4 went for $8 (not mine though I am getting some probably Wed or Friday from a local breeder)

Friend got me an awesome shelf SW stone for the new larger SW I will eventually get to and a pretty frag of Blue Zoas -sw and 2 Mangrove shoots about 7" for $3 for both

2 acrylic frag holders for $5

A huge surprise last night was a tiny pea sized golden orange marble with a little stripe baby fw Angelfish which was in the bag with the Wisteria plants!!!!! It has great finnage for such a tiny little one. I am gonna check who the seller was and find out what kind it is at the next meeting.

I Am really taken with this very tiny beauty. Hoping I can make sure to feed it properly. I have fry food and BBS and now vinegar eels so I am hoping to spot feed with a turkey baster. It already comes over to the front of the tank to look at me too, lol. I have a new favorite.:dance: will try to get a pic :D

Cleaned out some rotting moss in my AquaFarm (plants and snails). It got stuck under the sand, ewww yuck.

Moved the Betta out of the 16G just in case he wanted to be mean to the Killi and tiny Angel. He looked at the Killis But didn't chase them or attack, but just to be sure if he got bored with nothing else to do and put him into the 3G AF.

The AF tank is topless and unfiltered but heated and was with snails and plants, so I am thinking of moving it near my chair and plunking in my tiny intank filter which is sitting in the 16G to stay cycled, for just such an occasion.

Moved about 10 various size pond snails over to the bowl with the Assassin snail. Still not sure what to do with him.

Was given about 8-10 Blue leg Hermits - sw, and offered them a handful of new shells and watched them in the bag doing new home searches, lol, and had the best time seeing them turning the shells over and stick their heads inside them. Within an hour of putting them into the tank there was at least 1 possibly 2 which already switched shells!!!

Was up till 3am reading up on vinegar eels and other assorted things!

Fed all fish a nice assortment of foods.

Both pair of Angels spawned and pair #2 eggs were disappeared by the next day and pair #1 was a second time in a row mess of unfertilized eggs and few good ones and then gone the next day. Thinking the male is being distracted by the other male and not doing his job very well.

Why can't everyday be such a fun fish day!!!

Last edited:
Ummm....wow! Just Googled your new treasures, absolutely gorgeous! Looking forward to some pics :whistle:

The AGA Convention is in DC this year, that's a 30 minute drive from here. Their auction is April 12. Two big auctions a week apart, could be dangerous :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm....wow! Just Googled your new treasures, absolutely gorgeous! Looking forward to some pics :whistle:

The AGA Convention is in DC this year, that's a 30 minute drive from here. Their auction is April 12. Two big auctions a week apart, could be dangerous :whistle:

Ohhhh so close. SAVE every penny to take with you! I had to drive 45 min!
We have an awesome group of devoted Killi breeders around here and I (and friend) missed a few great deals like a Pygmy Sunfish trio which sold for 8 bucks because I mistakenly thought they were regular sunfish.

You will have a huge post too after that about what you did with your tanks that day!!!

Busy afternoon for me.

Jusy finished draining 10 gallons from my 29 for a water change when my parents get home with 2 pangio kuhlii's for me(getting 3 more when in stock). I was running around filling buckets to refill the 29, fill the 10 gallon QT, open my canister for some seeded ceramic rings for the QT...*catches breath*...put polishing pads into canister, start drip acclimatization on the loaches, trimming back my jungle in the 29, putting the trimmings into the QT, and to top it off I spilled ~2 gallons of water onto the kitchen floor.

And all of this was in 1 hour. Now I can relax and finish acclimating the loaches :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Busy afternoon for me.

Jusy finished draining 10 gallons from my 29 for a water change when my parents get home with 2 pangio kuhlii's for me(getting 3 more when in stock). I was running around filling buckets to refill the 29, fill the 10 gallon QT, open my canister for some seeded ceramic rings for the QT...*catches breath*...put polishing pads into canister, start drip acclimatization on the loaches, trimming back my jungle in the 29, putting the trimmings into the QT, and to top it off I spilled ~2 gallons of water onto the kitchen floor.

And all of this was in 1 hour. Now I can relax and finish acclimating the loaches :)

Yay, kuhlis: best fish ever! Will be waiting for pics!

Yay, kuhlis: best fish ever! Will be waiting for pics!

I just added them to the QT tank. They are tiny and not to happy but they should come around! 45 min car ride, 15 minutes waiting in the bag, and a 1 hour drip acclimatization took the life outa them lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

http://i.imgur.com/Wais64f.png

Added the moneywort in this tank in hopes of making my chili rasboras a little more happy. They weren't coloring up too well and they seemed skittish so I added the taller me in hopes of helping that. They seem to be coming out more so fingers crossed that it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Added the moneywort in this tank in hopes of making my chili rasboras a little more happy. They weren't coloring up too well and they seemed skittish so I added the taller me in hopes of helping that. They seem to be coming out more so fingers crossed that it worked
It looks nice, hope they settle down for you.

Here is a quote from the regional section I posted late last night...
"GREAT fun day!

I ended up volunteering (getting volunteered because no one came to take over ) for a job which kept me busy the whole time but gave me enough flexibility to run around and check and buy some things too!

At the end there was crazy cheap deals. I got vinegar eel culture for $1. big bag of Wisteria plants for $1. Bag of frag plugs all assorted sizes and types for $1.
3 Bags of Fluval gravel 1 bag of stones new in bag for $0.80 each!!! (14.99 retail each)

Friend picked up Blue Green Rili shrimp 6 for $12.00.

The awesome cool thing I got was a trio of young Blue Gularis Killifish. Really amazing color. My head is spinning how awesome these fish will look. Woot, woot! look up google "Blue Gularis Killifish Sumer" and you will see a (excellent photo by Sumer) example of the breeding group. So happy about them!

ok, and if you are already kicking yourself for not coming...there was a 55G tank went for under 20. A 20G complete with nice gravel for $15. And a 125G that was around the same. Yes I said 125G...OMGG! I was busy doing something and missed the exact price, but they started those bids at $1. "

Theresa, don't know about yours but our auction was awesome!!!

Some highlights were the same Gularis only a pair went for $8. I wanted to get them but only had a small budget. :(

Red Millennium Rainbow s 4 went for $8 (not mine though I am getting some probably Wed or Friday from a local breeder)

Friend got me an awesome shelf SW stone for the new larger SW I will eventually get to and a pretty frag of Blue Zoas -sw and 2 Mangrove shoots about 7" for $3 for both

2 acrylic frag holders for $5

A huge surprise last night was a tiny pea sized golden orange marble with a little stripe baby fw Angelfish which was in the bag with the Wisteria plants!!!!! It has great finnage for such a tiny little one. I am gonna check who the seller was and find out what kind it is at the next meeting.

I Am really taken with this very tiny beauty. Hoping I can make sure to feed it properly. I have fry food and BBS and now vinegar eels so I am hoping to spot feed with a turkey baster. It already comes over to the front of the tank to look at me too, lol. I have a new favorite.:dance: will try to get a pic :D

Cleaned out some rotting moss in my AquaFarm (plants and snails). It got stuck under the sand, ewww yuck.

Moved the Betta out of the 16G just in case he wanted to be mean to the Killi and tiny Angel. He looked at the Killis But didn't chase them or attack, but just to be sure if he got bored with nothing else to do and put him into the 3G AF.

The AF tank is topless and unfiltered but heated and was with snails and plants, so I am thinking of moving it near my chair and plunking in my tiny intank filter which is sitting in the 16G to stay cycled, for just such an occasion.

Moved about 10 various size pond snails over to the bowl with the Assassin snail. Still not sure what to do with him.

Was given about 8-10 Blue leg Hermits - sw, and offered them a handful of new shells and watched them in the bag doing new home searches, lol, and had the best time seeing them turning the shells over and stick their heads inside them. Within an hour of putting them into the tank there was at least 1 possibly 2 which already switched shells!!!

Was up till 3am reading up on vinegar eels and other assorted things!

Fed all fish a nice assortment of foods.

Both pair of Angels spawned and pair #2 eggs were disappeared by the next day and pair #1 was a second time in a row mess of unfertilized eggs and few good ones and then gone the next day. Thinking the male is being distracted by the other male and not doing his job very well.

Why can't everyday be such a fun fish day!!!
You sound like you had a finntastic day. I wish I had a job like that, I guess I'm going to have to wait a few more years. The owner of my favorite LFS promised to hire me as soon as I am old enough because I am so knowledgeable about sw fish.

Here's what I have done.
First off I went to church but as soon as I got back it was fish tank mania! I first moved a hermit crab and a strawberry crab out of my 10 gallon saltwater and moved them to my 55 gallon saltwater. Than I cleaned my 40 gallon community and did a water change (while doing so I accidentally scared the fins off my Coris wrasse and made him jump the tank. He is fine now.) After that I sold several corals and began the take down of my 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. Then I rearranged the decor in my 55 gallon cichlid tank so my one spot domino syno catfish would have a bigger cave to hide in. Annnnnd that's it.

Dropped the CO2 output from 4-5 bps to about 1 bps. Drop checkers are both blue. It was a bad week for killing fish so I'm dialing back on the CO2. I might resume adding glut as a carbon source (rather than bump up the CO2).
Dropped an algae wafer in the tank for the Otos but an amano shrimp grabbed it and took off. Added another. The Otos munched on it for a bit until it got overrun by snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like FW finally gets to the fun part and watch the loaches
Fresh sorry to hear it was a rough week, hate the learning curves...
I did have a Finntastic day and that sounds like it would be a really good job.

The Blue Gulgaris trio is always hungry. This is the first Killifish for me so trying to learn their behaviors and personality. Pretty much reminding me of a really long wiggly Guppy. Seems pretty friendly, not skiddish. I am thinking of getting another type of Killi too, need to make sure they are compatible. The fundulopanchax gardneri innidere killifish aka Steel Blue, I know some members of the Aquarium Society have these since they were selling at the auction. Really nice color.

So planning on moving the tanks around and setting up a list of what to do so I can help avoid any obvious missteps.

Clean out of 12G Edge remove 2 full grown pair of shrimp slurping Albino BN Plecos
Hand over some BV Shrimp to hobby friend
Move the nano fish to a different tank.

Make a shrimp only BV tank to get the numbers back up.

Clean out Edge 6.6 and cull the red and really pale ones to another tank. Update scape

Clean out SW 12G rimless garden which looks like there was an apocalypse and seems almost like a wasteland.

Pick up SW and RODI water

Set up the SW 12G rimless garden again. Learn to epoxy rocks and set up permanent 3 piece structure so I can take out parts and put them back without it all being a complete nightmare.

Clean out the 35G with my water bugs/ micro foods and such for eventual and possible baby Angels move to bucket eventually to go outside.

Set the 35G up as a SW - move clowns and rocks and corals to empty the 15G and set it up as a grow out tank for plants and little fish.

Plus work... This is gonna be a busy week for me.

Today- get started!!!

Sounds like FW finally gets to the fun part and watch the loaches
Fresh sorry to hear it was a rough week, hate the learning curves...
I did have a Finntastic day and that sounds like it would be a really good job.

The Blue Gulgaris trio is always hungry. This is the first Killifish for me so trying to learn their behaviors and personality. Pretty much reminding me of a really long wiggly Guppy. Seems pretty friendly, not skiddish. I am thinking of getting another type of Killi too, need to make sure they are compatible. The fundulopanchax gardneri innidere killifish aka Steel Blue, I know some members of the Aquarium Society have these since they were selling at the auction. Really nice color.

So planning on moving the tanks around and setting up a list of what to do so I can help avoid any obvious missteps.

Clean out of 12G Edge remove 2 full grown pair of shrimp slurping Albino BN Plecos
Hand over some BV Shrimp to hobby friend
Move the nano fish to a different tank.

Make a shrimp only BV tank to get the numbers back up.

Clean out Edge 6.6 and cull the red and really pale ones to another tank. Update scape

Clean out SW 12G rimless garden which looks like there was an apocalypse and seems almost like a wasteland.

Pick up SW and RODI water

Set up the SW 12G rimless garden again. Learn to epoxy rocks and set up permanent 3 piece structure so I can take out parts and put them back without it all being a complete nightmare.

Clean out the 35G with my water bugs/ micro foods and such for eventual and possible baby Angels move to bucket eventually to go outside.

Set the 35G up as a SW - move clowns and rocks and corals to empty the 15G and set it up as a grow out tank for plants and little fish.

Plus work... This is gonna be a busy week for me.

Today- get started!!!

Very much want to see pics of the gularis! I have a pair of gardneri, the female is pretty laid back but the male reminds me of a betta in pajamas.

I want to see a pic of your "Betta in pajamas" and the vulgaris.

Male alone:

img_3194601_0_72ea8f8cc1fc6cd3977a4d50e87fa9bd.jpg

Spawning:

img_3194601_1_f70b620af1d2e96c51d7e61631f66029.jpg

Funny how one thing happens and it starts a domino effect. Heard from my killie source that the gardneri female will be here on Thursday. Decided to check out that tank and noticed something was off...it seems either one or both of the happy couple are actually murderers. I had a good-sized group of pygmy and phoenix rasboras, at least a dozen. And today? Four! Grabbed a net and they went into the Spec 5. Interestingly they're showing great color for both being in such a small group and in a relatively bare tank. So now the gardneri tank needs a big cleanup after the search & rescue mission....

After the badis eventually move to the Spec I'm planning to use their old tank for tiger shrimp. Going to start pulling out the RCS, divide them between the project tank and the 10g. Will probably move the micro rasbora group in the with tiger shrimp when everything is good to go.

Still need to decide on hardscape for the Spec :whistle:

Lost yet another habrosus cory, that's 3 in the last few weeks. I have no idea why, all the other fish are fine and it's a very peaceful tank stock-wise. I like them a lot but the the pygmaeus seem hardier, at least in my experience.

Going to do a bit of plant work in the 10g. The least killifish seem to have settled in, not hiding in the plants anymore. Hoping to see some fry from them soon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom