What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, the truth hurts. Apparently I like doing things the hard way.lol. I just figured I'd purchase one if I got anything bigger then my 55g. I didn't factor in the fact that I would fall on my butt going down the stairs. Oops!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Ir you could at least get a long length of flexible tubing, attach it to a piece of pvc, and use that as a siphon. Just leave the end of it outside to water your garden or lawn. That way youd only have to haul half the buckets.

Or they make attachments that will let you screw a garden hose onto your faucet. You could get a short length of hose and just fill buckets up on the same floor your tank is on.

Played around with the 2.5g

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430682727.227088.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430682756.095306.jpg

Put the mondo grass and the bamboo in pots. Well, cup for bamboo...

I used some Miracle Gro potting soil mix and some ordinary dirt from the garden. Going to see how they do :) neither are duly aquatic anyway.

Caleb

Didn't know you had a 2.5 Caleb, any livestock in there?

Finally got my Tigrinum to eat..he's shown no interest in any pellet I've tried. Started to get desperate so I dug up am earthworm from outside. He sucked it down quickly. LFS claims they handfed freeze dried shrimp easily but he didn't want any of it when I offered. Hope to get him pellet trained with either Hikari carnivore or massivore asap.

Didn't know you had a 2.5 Caleb, any livestock in there?

Finally got my Tigrinum to eat..he's shown no interest in any pellet I've tried. Started to get desperate so I dug up am earthworm from outside. He sucked it down quickly. LFS claims they handfed freeze dried shrimp easily but he didn't want any of it when I offered. Hope to get him pellet trained with either Hikari carnivore or massivore asap.

Yes! I started no filter and tried ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. Dummy me forgot surface agitation and most died of the shrimp died. Me and the neighbor went crayfish hunting and I caught 2 baby wild crayfish. Was going well till one of the crayfish became an escape artist and somehow got out. Now I got one crayfish and a mystery snail and I'm satisfied with that. I run a sponge filter and an airstone on low. No heater.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430683557.155813.jpg
Current tank shot

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430683580.007801.jpg
The remaining crayfish
On the crayfish the smaller lighter colored claw he had grown back in this tank. When I got him he only had one. I was amazed to see he has grown a new one.

Caleb

Sweet. I've wanted to go catch me a "crawldad" and keep in a tank but I don't have anywhere to put another tank and he wouldn't fit well in any existing tanks. Oh well, guess I have enough wet pets as-is. Haha

Sweet. I've wanted to go catch me a "crawldad" and keep in a tank but I don't have anywhere to put another tank and he wouldn't fit well in any existing tanks. Oh well, guess I have enough wet pets as-is. Haha

Well if you get one they are definitely full of personality:) mine is so fun to watch.

Caleb

Holy crap... i almost forgot how much it sucked rinsing black diamond blasting sand....

On that note, i rinsed out 50lbs of black diamond blasting sand to redo the substrate in my 40b.

Holy crap... i almost forgot how much it sucked rinsing black diamond blasting sand....

On that note, i rinsed out 50lbs of black diamond blasting sand to redo the substrate in my 40b.

I have seen SOOO many people say this, but I swear I rinsed an entire bag in ~30 minutes and the tank was crystal clear within an hour. I'll be switching the ugly blue gravel in my 55 to it as well hopefully this week or next.

I removed all the sand from my 55g and now all I need is my dad to help carry it to the back deck so we can spread it out to dry. Also I am starting the change of my 10g and I'm not sure if I should keep the sand in the tank with the powerhead going.

I removed all the sand from my 55g and now all I need is my dad to help carry it to the back deck so we can spread it out to dry. Also I am starting the change of my 10g and I'm not sure if I should keep the sand in the tank with the powerhead going.

Unless you have diggers like african cichlids I wouldn't worry about sand ruining a filter or powerhead.

The african cichlids I was taking care of for a while murdered 2 marineland filters because they dug and spit the sand out at the top of the tank. My friend took her tank back and I helped her clean out the new canister the first time... we pulled a pound of sand out of it.

Pic related - The main digger. This sand used to be flat and that cave used to be completely buried.

75748-albums12252-picture57030.jpg

Unless you have diggers like african cichlids I wouldn't worry about sand ruining a filter or powerhead.

The african cichlids I was taking care of for a while murdered 2 marineland filters because they dug and spit the sand out at the top of the tank. My friend took her tank back and I helped her clean out the new canister the first time... we pulled a pound of sand out of it.

Pic related - The main digger. This sand used to be flat and that cave used to be completely buried.

75748-albums12252-picture57030.jpg

Its a rapids tank so I am keeping the powerhead closer to the bottom.

You could use a water or soda bottle and make a prefilter slammed full of filter floss/poly fill. I've done this on all my tanks when I set them up and it hasn't effected my old school Powerhead 201 at all.

Here's some pictures from when I filled my 29 a few weeks ago for example. Keeps water nice and polished too

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430695507.827960.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430695589.435850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Since I am trying to make it a riverbed I am going to have a layer of gravel and then small rocks and then a few large river rocks.

water change and trim on this. Also mixed PPS-PRO for the first time, going to dose it tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom