What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a great idea! I never would have thought of using a cooler!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I used that method twice once while transferring my tank fish and another time transferring my grandmothers goldfish, It works really well since it prevents water from spilling and fish from jumping.

We will definitely be making use of this ? two of the tanks are being moved fairly far and I'd hate to deal with a jumper in a car >_>

got home from work today...attempted to turn the light on in my kitchen tank when i walked in the door. nothing. then i noticed the filters werent running and the temp was down to 66. uhoh :facepalm:

checked the circuit breakers. none of them had tripped. somehow the outlet went bad. the tank is a 20 gallon long and sits on one of my kitchen counters.

i quickly emptied out 15 gallons of water. picked up the tank and moved it to a different counter/outlet. then filled it back up. all the fish seem fine. the temp is back up to 75. dont like to swing temps that fast, but the fish seem fine.

not sure how long the power was out to the tank. i know it was running last night. so it was less than 24 hours. i hate the spot it is in now...so i will have to put on my electrician hat and figure out what is wrong with the outlet. will maybe replace it with a gfci outlet, although i was plugged into a power strip with a breaker, anyway.

got home from work today...attempted to turn the light on in my kitchen tank when i walked in the door. nothing. then i noticed the filters werent running and the temp was down to 66. uhoh :facepalm:

checked the circuit breakers. none of them had tripped. somehow the outlet went bad. the tank is a 20 gallon long and sits on one of my kitchen counters.

i quickly emptied out 15 gallons of water. picked up the tank and moved it to a different counter/outlet. then filled it back up. all the fish seem fine. the temp is back up to 75. dont like to swing temps that fast, but the fish seem fine.

not sure how long the power was out to the tank. i know it was running last night. so it was less than 24 hours. i hate the spot it is in now...so i will have to put on my electrician hat and figure out what is wrong with the outlet. will maybe replace it with a gfci outlet, although i was plugged into a power strip with a breaker, anyway.

Is the kitchen plug in a gfci? rectangle plug? Small led in plug face?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a great idea! I never would have thought of using a cooler!

Coolers all the way. Holds temperature, more rigid than Rubbermaid tubs, and carry handles/wheels. Yeah.

Although I'd consider putting the fish in bags inside the cooler for the sake of compartmentalized space and it keeps them from being sloshed around inside a darkened box.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Snapped some pics of my 120 Reef from the iPad air 2. The trigger is such an attention hog! Not to mention whenever I take pics of the Acans, the tangs always have to get in the way. :facepalm:

I love my newest addition to the tank. That would be the UFO Mushroom in the last pic. I can get some sweet pics of him when the Hydra 52's go down to the sunset and moonlight setting via the director. Recently I removed the frag rack and thats why the Acans and everything are on the sand N' rocks in some of the pics. :dance:

I purchased the upgrade to this tank after finishing my first semester of college. If anyone wants to tag along or has any suggestions on equipment feel free to click my link in my signature. (y)

Sent from Macbook Pro

Attachments

• IMG_0248-1.jpg
    IMG_0248-1.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 130
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
my newest adventure. Will be filled tomorrow and maybe scaped by the weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Coolers all the way. Holds temperature, more rigid than Rubbermaid tubs, and carry handles/wheels. Yeah.

Although I'd consider putting the fish in bags inside the cooler for the sake of compartmentalized space and it keeps them from being sloshed around inside a darkened box.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whoops I forgot about that. This helps even more.

Snapped some pics of my 120 Reef from the iPad air 2. The trigger is such an attention hog! Not to mention whenever I take pics of the Acans, the tangs always have to get in the way. :facepalm:

I love my newest addition to the tank. That would be the UFO Mushroom in the last pic. I can get some sweet pics of him when the Hydra 52's go down to the sunset and moonlight setting via the director. Recently I removed the frag rack and thats why the Acans and everything are on the sand N' rocks in some of the pics. :dance:

I purchased the upgrade to this tank after finishing my first semester of college. If anyone wants to tag along or has any suggestions on equipment feel free to click my link in my signature. (y)

Sent from Macbook Pro

Finntastic tank, I love your trigger and your UFO mushroom is flippin AMAZING!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433796918.009007.jpg

Checked my parameters when I got home with my puffer and the ammonia and nitrite had skyrocketed! found a somehow surfaced root tab. Now I have the puffer waiting in my snail tank because I can't get the ammonia below 0.25ppm. Nitrite returned to 0ppm. I've literally done 10 50% water changes and it will not drop below 0.25ppm.

Caleb

View attachment 273430

Checked my parameters when I got home with my puffer and the ammonia and nitrite had skyrocketed! found a somehow surfaced root tab. Now I have the puffer waiting in my snail tank because I can't get the ammonia below 0.25ppm. Nitrite returned to 0ppm. I've literally done 10 50% water changes and it will not drop below 0.25ppm.

Caleb

View attachment 273430

Caleb

You sure putting a puffer with snails is a good idea since they eat snails?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

View attachment 273430

Caleb
Have you tested your tap water?

Have you tested your tap water?

I asked the same on his Instagram, he said tap reads zero. 10x 50% water changes over 3-4 hours would wipe out any negative perimeters in the water column as that's 5x 100% changes. I can't see root tab or substrate choice making ammonia rise that fast, even if the root tabs are prone to ammonia spikes. 2ppm ammonia isn't lethal to a fish anyhow, bio filter should be able to work out 2ppm quickly, with ease.

Jesse

I asked the same on his Instagram, he said tap reads zero. 10x 50% water changes over 3-4 hours would wipe out any negative perimeters in the water column as that's 5x 100% changes. I can't see root tab or substrate choice making ammonia rise that fast, even if the root tabs are prone to ammonia spikes. 2ppm ammonia isn't lethal to a fish anyhow, bio filter should be able to work out 2ppm quickly, with ease.

Jesse

Well as of the test this morning it's went from 0.25ppm back up to 2ppm.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom