What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm gonna do a tank by tank update real quick since I haven't been on lately. Sorry for your losses everyone and I'm jealous of all you with amazing looking planted or reef tanks, my tanks are slowly slowly coming along.

10g shrimp tank: I received a total of 24 rcs in the mail a few weeks ago over two shipments. I sold a lot of the second shipment since it had only two that were somewhat colored that I kept so I was left with 15 shrimp. Both of my favorite shrimp died (they had purple coloration on them) but I've had no losses lately and they are doing well, the tank is slowly growing back in after a huge plant die out a few months ago so what I was able to save was very little and it's taking its time to grow back in.

38g planted: this is tied with my shrimp tank as favorite tank. I have very few fish in the tank, an electric blue acara, a pair of pearl gourami, two black kuhli loaches, and an upside down cat. This tank is kinda left to grow, I don't plan on trimming anything as I'm aiming for a wild look. The majority of the plants are/will be water lilies since I love the colors.

55g community: this is my unlucky tank. I had set it up with discus but lost half of them so ended up selling the remaining 3, next I had a handfed, trained African butterfly fish who jumped, so I replaced him but the new one ate every fish he could catch and he was sold when he decided to go after the betta. Now I have 18 neons (I had 20 but butterflyfish ate 2), 10 black neons, 3 otos (I had 6, one got a fungal infection and the other two went missing), a twig cat, a whiptail cat, and a pair of honey gourami. I also had a pair of apistogramma trifasciata but the male got dropsy and the female began to attack the gourami so I sold her after the male died. I am trying to get the plants to grow but have had very little luck. They are healthy, they just don't grow. I had a major pond snail problem but once I got zebra loaches they decimated the pond snail population.

55g lake tanganyika tank: this tank has had the largest change. I sold all the cichlids and fish except for the pleco and the 5-barred cichlid and replaced them with some neolamprologus similis, a julidochromis transcriptus, and a massive featherfin catfish. I almost had to put the catfish down at first bc he got severe ich and fin rot. He has been blind in one eye bc of it for almost a month but is recovering his sight, his fins were destroyed especially his back dorsal fin but have all grown back except his back dorsal, and he has scars all over his body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did the weekly 20% water change, plus filter maintenance. I was amazed at the number of snails in the two filters. :eek:

Tossed the expired carbon in the AC 50 and added a 100ml bag of Purigen, which I've been wanting to try out. :cool:

Trimmed the humongous runner one of my e. tenellus plants put out and replanted three or four of the best in the foreground. Next week I'll get the runner from the other mother plant. I may wind up with a "carpet" yet.

Sadly had to throw away some good cardamine lyrata clippings, since I had no place to put them. :ermm:

Added Nualgi to the tank to see how it controls algae (the driftwood is getting patches of green hair algae). Several vloggers on Youtube have reported good results with it. :brows:

Made sure the young platy was okay. He's fine and seems to be growing.

Tomorrow: Neon Tetra shopping! :dance:

20g water change in the 75g
10g water change in the 29g
General housekeeping in both tanks

Yesterday, I added a pair of Neon Gobies – they're doing well with everyone else...

done water changes in both tanks cleaned both the sump and canister replaced media in both . getting ready for 2 early morn arrivals fish and nems :D already have a nice kick start on the nems .
img_3362439_0_552426b528ec8fb74fb4643e488baa3c.jpg

Added six neons from a reputable LFS to bring my school back up to seven. Happy to say they've got great color and are eating like little pigs. :dance:

Here's a pic of them waiting to enter their new home:

27133534701_d5fd2a367d_z.jpg

Added 3 thorn nerites to my elephant nose tank today hopefully he'll leave them alone ?
No death's in my shrimp tank thank goodness! Everyone is eating well, hope it lasts.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

it's not what I did today, it's what I've been putting off for weeks that I'm gonna have to take care of soon.
I need to get rid of my purple pseudochromis, he has become an absolute tyrant and I'm tired of seeing nipped fins on the other fish. Problem is in order to get him I'm gonna have to take everything out of the tank.....:(

so I think today I will contemplate it some more and continue to procrastinate. :whistle:

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank and rinsed filter's today, couldn't believe the amount of baby ramshorn in the filter! 1464171046926.jpg

30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Decided to rinse out my filter's in the shrimp tank, thing's weren't flowing as well as they should. Cleaned the substrate with a turkey baster as I have lot's off babies! I'll do a pwc tomorrow. No dead fish today, but 1 not looking so good really pale and hiding.
Received my order of live bloodworm and blackworm (which I haven't used before!) I'll have a happy elephant nose tonight Lol

30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

In the middle of a 50% PWC on my 55g. I'm trying out Nilocg's Thrive all in one liquid fert. I am adding it 3x weekly. I am seeing some improvement in plants already. My Limnophilia aromatica (sp?) is sending out a side shoot.

I'm hoping to do PWCs on my 10g and my 5.5g
I've been gone off and on for almost 3 months. Glad fish are thriving. I stop home every 2-3 days.
eb2197909566eeae7383eeb742b2e660.jpg
1c6c4ad34c26f20d4ee591cbdce397b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vacuum and PWC. Also moved the spray bar to the rear. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464383396.108427.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464383407.805531.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464383430.861859.jpg

Plants seem to be adapting to new light and lots of new growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom