What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Neighbor, I'm in Concord, CA as well.
Nice looking Denison's. And tank is looking well.

Thank you. I love the Denison's. They are still young. I suspect I may have to rehome them when they get large. I only have a 29gl / 30L.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They breed worse then rats.

I would prefer the Ramshorns any day of the week! :lol:

Showed off the tanks to a friend and fed early to get all the fish to come out.

Did a water change on the bucket which holds a decor rooted tree stump with a Java Fern growing on it. If I don't get it a new home soon it will probably die - all the way. I keep losing leaves from it. Have no place for or intention of using it and it is slowly having a terribly sad time in a bucket with nearly no light. I think I might take it to the Aquarium Club meeting to get it a home. :bulb:

Admired my Clown Loach and how he is growing and reminded myself he still needs a few friends. Maybe looking for a few lfs sales this weekend.

Pwc on my shrimp tank, picked up the poo with a turkey baster again! Such a lot of baby shrimp at the moment so excited :D then just vacuumed out the water. Added a few IAL really like the tannins in the water.
Going to start making up the metro for my boraras, with they're food soon, I hope this works.
All fine in my elephant nose tank could do with trimming back my plant's and removing some of the Amazon frogbit, it's nearly taking over the tank! :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

I would prefer the Ramshorns any day of the week! :lol:.

I bought 3 pink ramshorn snails. They were BEAUTIFUL. But within a few months I had to tear down the tank and boil or salt everything to get rid of them. There were 1000+ and they were eating the mystery snails shells on the live snails. I kept a few but they are now in my outdoor tank I use for plant cuttings. The cold and lack of abundant food keeps the population from exploding.

Did the weekly 20% water change on the 20-long and trimmed the cardamine lyrata, which is growing like a weed and crowding out neighboring plants. :eek2:

The platy fry is getting bigger and is coming out into the open more, and I'm happy to report that, a week after buying new neons from a different store, I haven't had a single death. I think I can say the problem with the last batch was Petco, and not me. :dance:

Rescaped my fluvel spec v
Before
96a06d4fdf3c41c37ff74c25976707b1.jpg

After
19bd46b99ad98570987f825eaaacf44a.jpg
7c967b68f1dc447f3138f881a8475708.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Such a lot of baby shrimp at the moment so excited :D then just vacuumed out the water. Added a few IAL really like the tannins in the water.
Going to start making up the metro for my boraras, with they're food soon, I hope this works.

Glad to hear there are lots of babies, a nice treat after so much hardship. And hoping the meds make it like a fresh new tank.

Rescaped my fluvel spec v
Before
7c967b68f1dc447f3138f881a8475708.jpg

Great update and improvement! Looks good!

~~~~~
Watched some of the tank inhabitants - the Turbo snail and then in the other tank, Tangerine Tigers. It is always so amazing how orange they are. Watched the young Dwarf Cory Cats. It is like the 3 bears - one is big, one is medium, and one is very small. I need another 6 probably.

PART 1:
Thought I'd change my 90 ltr up, just wasn't happy with it ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550102.029973.jpg so I bought new gravel ( I hate rinsing new substrate ) went and did a little rock shopping ( at my local creek ) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550198.655281.jpg drained, emptied and washed the tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550287.031048.jpg little bit of foam to elevate the rocksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550367.952368.jpg cut up a coke bottle to use as retaining walls between the rocks to keep the substrate in place ( cos it's a lot higher in the back corner and 1mm gravel doesn't stack very well )ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550617.935987.jpg

PART 2:
Filled it up and put the residents back in ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550917.571284.jpg obviously still a little cloudy but it's getting thereImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464550976.059891.jpg just need to fill the gravel with some kind of grass type plant and she'll be sorted

Tore apart all the rock work in my predator tank moved rock nems to display ,
scrubbed of the bad hair algae out break , re did rock work did 50% water change , most likely will redo it again as I don't like how it turned out

Tore apart all the rock work in my predator tank moved rock nems to display ,
scrubbed of the bad hair algae out break , re did rock work did 50% water change , most likely will redo it again as I don't like how it turned out

Holy smokes, assume that would of been a big job? I just get a sideways look now whenever I say I'm just going to shift one piece..

Looks good Lunch.

That must have been a job Seaweed!

~~~~
I must be loco, I am thinking of putting up my pond again. Our Aquarium Society meeting topic is about ponds this week too:facepalm::fish1: Still just thinking about it - missing my pond...

Getting psyched up to rescape my 12G Edge and nearly decided to move the Tangerine Tigers in there and buy a new school of Chili Rasboras. I think there are just 2 left of the Phoenix Rasboras (sold as Chilis but NOT!!!). They seem to live about 3 years.

Also maybe get enough energy to clean out the 46G QT tomorrow. Maybe...

EDIT!!! Got the 46G tank cleaned out. It is scrubbed out but not rinsed, now outside ready for the rinsing. All empty, discarded all the rocks (about 20lbs Eco complete) and filter media (new will need to be ordered).

Lesson learned do NOT use a tank for a med treatment if you want to really ever use it again for anything like inverts or SW anything critterwise other than fish.

Planning to use Cuprisorb on the tank. I saved a little water to do a test on the copper levels and will run Cuprisorb for awhile and check levels again.

Last edited:
it's not what I did today, it's what I've been putting off for weeks that I'm gonna have to take care of soon.
I need to get rid of my purple pseudochromis, he has become an absolute tyrant and I'm tired of seeing nipped fins on the other fish. Problem is in order to get him I'm gonna have to take everything out of the tank.....:(

so I think today I will contemplate it some more and continue to procrastinate. :whistle:
They make traps just for tough fish like that. Might be a better option than a tear down.

Early clean on my shrimp tank, thought I'd do extra since my fish aren't great at the moment. Trimmed back plant's, I can actually see through them! Rinsed filter's, boy were they filthy. And found loads of baby shrimpies Yay! at last.

Rinsed the tank I left outside last night.

Since it is outside time of year, I looked at my cache of left over stuff mess in the back corner of the yard in the hiding stuff corner, just slightly out of public view and realized I have a whole bunch of used unneeded substrate, what happens when you go from 13 tanks down to 3 plus QT (no substrate) and 4 water plant bowls (which don't need hardly any) There were buckets and tubs and a couple bags of misc stuff. Out of sight out of mind especially in previous winter time!

Dumped out a few buckets and containers and combined and know that I can get rid of a big bunch of it. There are misc mini internal filters, my pond pumps and tubing and misc!!!!!!! Only got to about a third of the mess but did dump out some buckets and containers of mosquito spawning liquid, lol. Definitely don't need more of those!

Added trace minerals to the SW tank. Hoping to get the bottom into the low iron repair tank by next week. Keep running out of time to get to the glass shop.

Trying to decide if I should scrape the front of the SW tank or let the snail keep working on it?!?! hmmmm...

EDIT: Did pwc on Tangerine Tiger Shrimp tank, a 25% and a 33% - always kick up gunk food particles, still over feeding ugh.

Did 3+G pwc on the 12G Edge and added 5G water to the 72G.

Add water to the SW from evap. will do pwc tomorrow of about .5-1G.

Last edited:
Received my blue phantom shrimp today gorgeous color :) 3 mum's carrying eggs and lot's off extra babies! Had an awful job making sure I caught them all :eek:
Boraras swimming about at the moment just 1 which looks not so good but hopefully the metro will help it. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Received my blue phantom shrimp today gorgeous color :) 3 mum's carrying eggs and lot's off extra babies! Had an awful job making sure I caught them all :eek:
Boraras swimming about at the moment just 1 which looks not so good but hopefully the metro will help it. Fingers crossed!

OOOh can't wait for pics!!! Congrats on the new additions!

Already spent some time this morning working on tank stuff.

Moved the AquaFarm plant container outside to the shady area to get some better stronger shady light. Everything in that plant tank looks great including the Red Ramshorns, and I have a little cloud of algae in a Brandy snifter "bowl" and I think there were a few mts ended up in there as well and I had just been saving it for if I needed it for something and a cylinder vase with about a gallon volume with some plants and algae that had been remove from the bucket from last summer that lived outside and ended up with it being in the sun for a month I didn't even notice - anyway all went outside under the shady deck for the summer.

And as nicely as the Aquafarm tank is, is as bad af the bucket of plants I removed from the tank I shut down before, and the forgotton bucket of plants pretty much was dead. There were a few little things which was fine like the Moss Balls and Nana Anubias and a Micro Anubias , tiny baby and a Dwarf Val - only one and a half dead Elodia -2 parts of stems maybe 10" each.

The giant cloud of Subwassertang (used to be beautiful and bright green when it was growing in the tank) was melted into a million particles some brownish but half with a hint of green. So I left those mostly in the water and put that into a opaque bucket which my plants last year really liked outside under the tree next to the fence. Will either have a hundred new plants of some great fertilizer to water the plants with, lol.

So on the negative, the Aquarium society meeting on ponds was last month, but on the positive is that it is on micro /live foods and should be really interesting, and these vases are the perfect spot to raise something like Daphnia.

Here you go lol but remember I'm not good at taking pic's!
Thought I'd throw in a pic of my boraras since they're feeling a bit better. 1464884411303.jpg1464884426060.jpg1464884450956.jpg

Back
Top Bottom