What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having wanted a betta for a while but not really wanting to put 1 in with other fish, I decided to have a crack, so I bought this guy View attachment 288034 and put him in my small tank, having never seen a betta in anything larger than a glorified soup bowl, watching him swim around his new 90ltr home is pretty cool and other than for curiosity, hasn't really bothered the tetras or corys or threadfins, he's making short work of the Monte Carlo I'm trying to grow in though

You could always try feeding him a couple blanched green peas. Maybe he's doing you a favor with the MC - trimming can stimulate new growth?!

Hahah set up my ADA MINI M TODAY at work. Nikos reef
b9c6c99d0f2ef0dfa3aeba962c5e448c.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

The DW is my favorite!

Keep making everyone around me laugh when I come home... "Am I a guppie grannie yet"... Nope.

Maybe tomorrow... Look, surely it's tomorrow ...

My hubbie thinks I'm just feeling them too much..
View attachment 287993
View attachment 287994

Orange one first by the amount of square-ing. ;)
~~~~~~~

Sounds like there are lots of activities to keep us busy!

Today was the CAS picnic and had a bunch of fun making new friends as well as talking about and seeing bunches of fish. Maybe going on part of a local fish tour with some people from Thailand in around a week. There is a local breeder, where the baby Mexican Wild Swordtails - Xiphophorus helleri Rio Otapa - came from, and where I want to check the Odessa Barbs previously mentioned.

Saw a bunch of cool fish, mainly fell in love with the Discus, even more...and a really pretty Angel fish coloration that reminded me of "Panda" with a white/silver body and fins with some black. Mostly white body very beautiful.

And a Pair of Philipine Blue and a lonely beautiful blue something angel. Were favorites, along with one or two younsters in different tanks due to especially unusual or pretty markings or fins. The host had other beautiful Platinum and a variety of Blushing, Pearlscale and Marbles and the Double Black where mine came from. Really nice - so many really long veil tails I couldn't believe it. The really long veils are beautiful but not my particular favorite. Excellent examples though.

In a while I plan to get about 3 more males - hoping for a blue something for sure - (no babies at this moment )- a panda male (unknown if any of the ~8-10 fish were even going to be for sale) - and a Pearlscale Platinum. I can wait as I am not in a particular hurry.

Was gifted a number of Guppy Grass and Wisteria, some Water Lettuce and a bit of Java Moss and DW covered in Narrow leaf Java Fern.

But kinda the most fun is that I got a starter culture of Daphnia. By the time I got my bag I didn't get a zillion as more than 10 other people had received nice starters but I DID get some.

Then on the way home met someone with tanks at a lfs and shared a bunch of plant trimmings.

I stopped to check for Rock Flower Anemones and Anemone Shrimp but at the 3 stores I struck out.

Great day overall. :fish1: :dance:

Last edited:
Having wanted a betta for a while but not really wanting to put 1 in with other fish, I decided to have a crack, so I bought this guy View attachment 288034 and put him in my small tank, having never seen a betta in anything larger than a glorified soup bowl, watching him swim around his new 90ltr home is pretty cool and other than for curiosity, hasn't really bothered the tetras or corys or threadfins, he's making short work of the Monte Carlo I'm trying to grow in though

The Monte Carlo is evil, and he's trying to save you from it. :ROFLMAO:

Red veiltails are still my all-time favorite bettas. (y)

But kinda the most fun is that I got a starter culture of Daphnia. By the time I got my bag I didn't get a zillion as more than 10 other people had received nice starters but I DID get some.

Great day overall. :fish1: :dance:

Love local fish club events (when I can attend them). A few months back a local club member was selling daphnia start kits and gave an in service on their care. Wished I paid more attention to it. There is a thread floating around recently on that subject.
Probably doing a water change today. Did not see the tank yesterday (traveling). During the week due to my schedule I average 5 minutes total with the tanks (feeding, dosing ferts) :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was doing a pwc and vacuum, when I found my first fry! Eeeek... I quickly checked my water bucket to make sure I didn't suck any up.. Thankfully - no!

So I spent the next three to four hours watching the tank.. And most of today... Found a second fry. But still think there's more to come!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was doing a pwc and vacuum, when I found my first fry! Eeeek... I quickly checked my water bucket to make sure I didn't suck any up.. Thankfully - no!

So I spent the next three to four hours watching the tank.. And most of today... Found a second fry. But still think there's more to come!

That's great! Guppy fry, right? And are you separating them?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My tank is overrun with platy fry. Those little guys get truly intrigued by the bits of gunk my water change hose pulls up: "Can I eat this?" I have to watch constantly to make sure I don't pull one through... :nono:

Survivor: Shrimp

So, I was doing my weekly 20% water change on JJ&J's Seafood Buffet, when I noticed something odd: I had one extra shrimp! :eek:

Background: I had bought five amanos over a month ago and thought three had died within a week. So today while draining water I counted 1, 2,...3???

I know they don't breed in freshwater, so that little bugger is darned good at hiding! :blink:

Meanwhile, I also gave the cardamine a moderate trim. Noticed quite a few pinholes in the leaves, so I'm upping the potassium dosage to x3 per week, to see if that helps.

That's great! Guppy fry, right? And are you separating them?

That's why I was stressed, I was letting the mums in the tank have their fry and hoping the fry would hide in all the floating plants I've set up. But when I saw the mums chasing fry.. I then put the fry in the breeder tank.. But then it got too hard to find the fry in the main tank to move to the breeding tray!

Then, today, because more fry keeps popping out.. I've put the mums in the breeding tray and let the fry have the run of the tank. I may only have 3 fry, it's very likely the mums (2 of them) have had a gourmet feats overnight.. But hopefully the second mum is still yet to drop any day.

This is my first go at breeding, and it's been a learning experience!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468816753.619369.jpg

That's why I was stressed, I was letting the mums in the tank have their fry and hoping the fry would hide in all the floating plants I've set up. But when I saw the mums chasing fry.. I then put the fry in the breeder tank.. But then it got too hard to find the fry!

Then, today, because more fry keeps popping out.. I've put the mums in the breeding tank and let the fry have the run of the tank. I may only have 3 fry, it's very likely the mums (2 of them) have had a gourmet feats overnight.. But hopefully the second mum is still yet to drop any day.

This is my first go at breeding, and it's been a learning experience!

View attachment 288073

Learning experiences are definitely of the best! Trial and error is sometimes the best way to learn too :) If this batch or the next doesn't work out you'll always have more confidence with the ones to come so keep trying :)

I thought I had only 3... Till I started moving plants to net them. I just kept finding more and more

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Learning experiences are definitely of the best! Trial and error is sometimes the best way to learn too :) If this batch or the next doesn't work out you'll always have more confidence with the ones to come so keep trying :)

Thank you, I absolutely agree. It's a steep learning curve keeping fish. I've made quite a few mistakes. But I take heart in that I get better each time. I'm here because I want to keep learning and hearing different thoughts. Everyone has different experiences to share. Really glad I found the forum!

Glad you joined Kwakatoo :))

Went to a local market and there were some aquariums for sale. They had a 20, 25 and 10 for sale. Was tempted to buy the 25 but saving up for a larger tank...

Sad news: Woke up to find an angelfish fry with its mouth being sucked into the internal filter. Instantly unplugged it and the fry died soon after I took it out. Very sad about this and had no idea the filter was a hazard (it was the part where the wire comes from). :(

Glad you joined Kwakatoo :))

Thank you!

Sad news: Woke up to find an angelfish fry with its mouth being sucked into the internal filter. Instantly unplugged it and the fry died soon after I took it out. Very sad about this and had no idea the filter was a hazard (it was the part where the wire comes from). :(

So sorry to hear this, always sad when you lose a fish. Especially when you think there might have been something you could have done - but no doubt this was a very unlucky issue. I've put a couple of stockings over my filter intake. But still wonder if a fry went into the top hole... Ugh.

Fish in the 12G Edge have been out in in the plants - more visible due to the thick vegetation in the upper levels of the tank now. The Microdevario Kubotai seem more calm though they still move around a lot.

Added a little dose of mineral supplement to the SW nano.

Need to do a pwc on the 72G in the morning.

Over the weekend I went running around all over Raleigh to get the lights I needed for my planted 55g after all of my new treasures I received. Turns out, after all of that, I already had the lights I needed in my existing 55 which I use for the angels. I swapped the hoods out, as it was the cheapest thing I could think of to fix my lighting problem asap. So... yay! It was fixed. Now i have to return my lights to Petsmart, and probably pick up some liquid ferts or something.

Side question: do you just add the ferts straight to the tank water if they're liquid ones? (I know that was a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure.)

50 % clean on Gonzos tank, trimmed some plant's.
Pwc on the boraras tank found 2 dead shrimp :banghead: thought thing's had settled down but I was obviously wrong.
Hubby has bought me a super red longfin bristlenose! I'm really excited, it'll be going in the boraras tank. Hopefully receive it this week.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

50 % clean on Gonzos tank, trimmed some plant's.
Pwc on the boraras tank found 2 dead shrimp :banghead: thought thing's had settled down but I was obviously wrong.
Hubby has bought me a super red longfin bristlenose! I'm really excited, it'll be going in the boraras tank. Hopefully receive it this week.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Awww, shelly! That sucks!!! :( Sorry to hear about your shrimp.

I'm excited for you for your bristlenose! I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Back
Top Bottom