What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh MY GOODNESS!!!

I just went over to check out my fancy RFA to see how it was doing, and in the Chaeto next to it is a BABY RFA not a new born kind but a 1/4 inch, that may well be why it was not spreading out all the way, and now I am hoping there could be more!?!?!

Pic soon, and couldn't get it to load right now!

Congrats :) Do you think there will be more?!

I made snail jelly! It smells sooooooooo gross, but all the critters went for it.

We're heading to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. I'm going to miss the fish and snails very much!

(When my husband smelled the food processor, he asked if I had made the jelly out of the snails.)

Ugh. How did this post show up here?

I'm looking forward to getting home today and seeing the fish and snails.

Me, too. Looked at the fish last week and said "Enjoy this meal and leave each other alone until I get back!" We are talking nano fish so no worries.
Probably going to see a jungle when I get back.

Got back into town, checked out the tank; everything is as expected. Fed the fish (they were hungry).
sMteUVSh.jpg

I cannot for the life of me get the siphon started with the python water change dealie.

The 29 gallon smelled septic. Very gross. All adult critters were accounted for. After removing all the decor, I found a baby snail dead inside a decoration. How could this tiny thing, not even the size of a dime, stink everything up so much!

I cannot for the life of me get the siphon started with the python water change dealie.

The 29 gallon smelled septic. Very gross. All adult critters were accounted for. After removing all the decor, I found a baby snail dead inside a decoration. How could this tiny thing, not even the size of a dime, stink everything up so much!

Maybe moist rotting fish food in the rim /lid of the tank, I can't believe it was one tiny little snail!!! :eek:

~~~~~

Well last night the SW nano was a little cloudy after I added some fresh water, needed from evap.

Took the forcep type stainless long tweezers and plucked out a couple bunches of Macroalgae (from the 6.6G Edge SW nano), the size of a softball, put them into the SW 6.6G Edge MA "Vase".

Moved a large, under the sand runner of Caulerpa Prolifera which was crowding my RFA. That brought up a little bunch of dark/black anearobic sand. Oops.

Need more Zombie snails.

That made me do the pwc 2 days earlier than I had intended, since it was a little cloudy and knocking out the sand thing.

Replaced the filter pad with a new one and added a carbon studded pad as well to help clear things up, left it run for about 20 min without its prefilter sponge and it cleared up nicely, also cleaned a very dirty prefilter sponge!.

Did a 2G pwc and moved another runner back further and got a little more black sand, so did another 1G pwc and added a little more Prime.

Added a little more Calcium as I found my recently acquired Halimeda MA a little dead stone skeleton. Some of it wasn't dissolved and it got into the RFA's and they all closed up tight!

Moved the big ball of Chaeto to the back corner.

Was enthused to see the Lettuce Nudibranch alive, hadn't seen it for awhile.

And there was the Nano Brittle Starfish coming out to eat since I kicked up some muck! I got a okay pic of it, will post it soon. Very cool.

All Anemone Shrimp were present after opening up the tank, I could see them.

Found that the tank temp was a little lower than I wanted, 72F. I am looking for a different heater tomorrow. It was working just not enough.

Moved all the remaining Ramshorn snails from the 5G bucket storage - black to one tank and red and orange to the other tank.

Today got more Prime and some Leaf Zone. Dosed all the FW tanks!

Tomorrow is tank work day.

Haven't done much shopping for Christmas, but made a trip to the local big box store that has SW and found this guy, a Rock Flower Anemone, mislabeled as a long tentacle.

My new RFA
60074-albums14597-picture70718.jpg

60074-albums14597-picture70719.jpg

Happy to add to the SW garden.

Did pwc on 12G nano fish Edge. Dosed some more ferts for the plants. Picked out the last few Ramshorn snails from the eco in the bucket. Annoyed with the algae.

PWC on the 12 Tangerine Tiger tank. I am really wanting to get this tank redone. It's a mass of plants!

PWC on the SW "Vase" of Macro Algae.

Kept looking at the 46G tank and seeing the dead RH snail shells and was feeling guilty for all of them being in a tank which apparently is not condusive to snails, though I couldn't figure out what the deal of why.

Then it struck me, maybe Paradise fish are snail eaters, so I looked that up and BAM! Answered puzzle. They LOVE snails, especially RH! I was quite surprised. When I looked up information on them I saw things that said they will fight with their own kind, enjoy large spaces, be happy in almost any tank type, similar to a Betta, etc. None of the articles mentioned the snails. But when I looked up if they eat snails - lots of mentions for that. Too bad he would likely eat my Endlers in the 72G tank.

Hoping to check a few more stores for any other RFA, for low prices. Was looking for a few new Nassarius snails to keep the sand turned up and some other type of ferts, they were out of those.

(y) Saw the baby RFA this morning. Made sure the light was hitting it so it can grow big and strong.

Haven't done much shopping for Christmas, but made a trip to the local big box store that has SW and found this guy, a Rock Flower Anemone, mislabeled as a long tentacle.

My new RFA
60074-albums14597-picture70718.jpg

60074-albums14597-picture70719.jpg

An anemone in a Starbucks cup![emoji846]
Well, let's just call it Christmas shopping for yourself.

An anemone in a Starbucks cup![emoji846]
Well, let's just call it Christmas shopping for yourself.

Who thought you could just drive thru and pick up a nem?!? :lol:

Those cups (the different sizes are perfect for different jobs) are the absolute best for scooping and stuff, lol!

Fa la la la la..., la la la la!

I did a lot of gazing. Everything in my tanks is procreating except the guppies. Baby Japanese trapdoor snails, baby rabbit snails, mystery snail eggs, and courting rams.

Didn't do anything for a tank I currently have, but I bought a Marineland Magniflow 220 and an Aquaclear 70 for a 40-breeder I plan to set up within the next year. Sure, I don't have the actual aquarium, yet, but they were 30% off in the Black Friday sale! How could I resist? :oops: :angel:

Didn't do anything for a tank I currently have, but I bought a Marineland Magniflow 220 and an Aquaclear 70 for a 40-breeder I plan to set up within the next year. Sure, I don't have the actual aquarium, yet, but they were 30% off in the Black Friday sale! How could I resist? :oops: :angel:

Aquariums are easy to get $1. p/G sale if you are in a hurry. :lol:

Today was a visit to muckville.

Long story as usual...:whistle:

I put out numerous plant buckets (4) and glass vases (3) when the weather warmed up after the spring thaw that were wintering in the house and after breaking down some tanks.

Well in case you all don't live in Florida or SoCal, its freezing cold now in CO. At night its gotten to the mid 20's. The containers are covered in autumn leaves so there is some cover, and hadn't frozen yet.

I went out to get that stuff seemingly remembering there were 2 buckets. But there was so much more... Bucket of sand, bucket of a dry DW I meant to use and forgot about, bucket of rocks, Plastic pond liner for a 125G pond covered in decorative mineral and rock garden rocks I had to move when we painted. Woven Mesh beach bag full of gravel, container with pond stuff like filters pumps & parts!!! Plastic tote of rocks & organic plotting soil. Other misc.

2 Cylinder vases, lg. full of half dead plants and the potted Pennywort and moss & med. full of algae, moss and decorations, rock and DW from previous tanks, Brandy snifter vase just with a solid coating of string algae.

(You didn't really think this would be short, did you, lol)

The bucket with a large resin tree stump ornament with a large Java Fern growing on it, the other cat litter bucket with misc plants, the other bucket with Anacharis mostly and rocks and DW from a previous tank not algae!!!, all with some mucky and some nice dry leaves...

and........ drum roll please! The muck de la MUCK, a previous snail 3G tank (plastic kind you can grow plants out the top) with 3-4 inches of sand and Eco with black anaerobic putrid stench & muck of snail and plant death plus some baby plants mixed in the leaves and string algae in the water.

Mucking it up for about an hour outside in the ~40F and water feeling like ice water until my hands were numb. :microwave:

Cleaned up the mess, changed buckets and rinsed out the rotten 2 - condensed them all to 2 total, one bucket and one vase. Need to pick off and do something about the algae.

?????? What have I done to myself! It is apparent I have been ignoring that corner of the yard all summer. :oops:

Just didn't realize how much stuff I piled up out there behind the corner under the tree :shocked!:

Back inside the house....a few weeks ago I dropped something on the edge of the planted bowl 2.5G and cracked it, the one I have had for about 4 years, I was getting ready to leave for work at the time and since it held water and didn't explode / I didn't have anything to slide it into in case it broke apart as I carried it, decided later was a better idea.

The light bulb had burned out on the lamp above it as well, so got a new light bulb in there and cleaned it up and threw out the old bowl and brought in the cleaned Brandy snifter vase about 1.5G Was just a few sprigs of plants and Java moss left in there, now waiting in a pitcher of tank water with the litte internal filter staying wet.

I have a blank slate for the planted bowl idea. Just some natural gravel & water presently. It's a little small to actually use for one, but makes me THINK of a new Betta.

Later I spent an hour watching videos of planted terrarriums from the 70's and present and looking for a giant glass container online & locally. Came up with some possibilities of a Brewing container called a carboy, 6.5G and some were crazy $$$ 12G size!!! One is a big mouth bubbler evo 2, 6.5G.

#####

Took the large DW from the outside and started soaking it in the 46G.

Moved 7 - hopefully all male Green Lantern Platy over to the 72G.

Fed earlier than usual.

Watched all the tanks :popcorn: Tired but life is good, messy, and smelly, but good!

Autumnsky you must have a black hole in that corner of the yard that kept you from seeing it.

Well, there is a camouflage tarp (yes really) next to it covering some things and in the summer the tree is pretty bushy and covers much, but it is at the corner which has a little hidden space with the yard fencing around it similar to a right trapezoid and the opening at the far left, so much really is hidden, :biglol: It's like a very small hoarders paradise - hidden in summer but NOT in winter. :eek:
~~~~~

Today didn't do too much because of the inconvenience of work.

Still trying to figure out what tank changes are gonna happen soon.

The Mr. Aqua 12G Tangerine Tiger w/ Dwarf Cories & Chilis tank with the over grown Moss and Subwassertang is bugging me. The spot it is in is a display tank location and not a breeding tank spot so maybe that is the biggest issue. Actually I enjoy seeing a giant cloud of Subwassertang.

But as usually happens when a tank is changed over (cleaned and redone), the Shrimp breeding & aufwuches biofilm suffer/are destroyed. Not sure I want to do that to them. Guess I just need to move that tank to a different location perhaps that will relieve the stress of seeing it there. It really is driving me crazy. Weird thing as I am not usually bothered about that kind of thing. :blink:

Watching over the tanks and seeing some other things not giving me "that peaceful easy feeling".

Last edited:
Cleaned out my holding tank. There was some hair algae or clado growing in there. Extra plant trimmings often end up in here. Pitched almost everything (kept a few plants), salt scrub, hot water and back in business. This also serves as a QT as needed.
8ku3Dqhh.jpg

Today I learned that serape tetras are not a thing!

Glad I learned that overhearing, instead of saying it wrong myself like chick-lids and pleck-os.

Traded two male guppies for two females. The guy said, "bring me your fry!" I was surprised by that, but apparently he gives $1 store credit per fish once they're saleable.

Back
Top Bottom