What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ended up doing a 75% water change, and rearranging Buck's little home. This time around, I did a deep cleanse of his gravel by moving it all into a separate container and putting it through a syphon for filth. Got a few bits that have apparently evaded previous cleanings. Going to be doing a test of the water parameters in the tank tonight to see how it is settling.

I am finding that I like his current arrangement more than I did the previous ones since it provides him with a lot of surface cover and hiding places while still leaving a good amount of swim space. Hopefully Buck will end up liking this set-up as much as I do.

Only downside to today is that the bottom to the thermometer for Buck's tank broke just as I put him back in. Fortunately it was only the bottom part with the weights and not the red stuff that measures temp so not as bad as it could have been. I managed to get the majority of them (black bead weights) out before they reached the bottom but couple ended up beneath the gravel of the tank. I can't get them out with the turkey baster I got for any waste Buck makes in the tank and I don't own a magnet to get them out that way.

I did a quick research thing on what is in the thermometers in the first place immediately after and found out it is either steel or lead so no immediate safety hazards for Buck. Either way I am going to play it safe and do a big water change again ASAP when I have the next batch of water dechlorinated.

Went to the LFS today. I got a bucephalandra plant today ? . Also got. An amano shrimp.

Anyone know what kind of buce this is? IMG_20170114_143335.jpgIMG_20170114_143342.jpg

Went to Dick's Sporting Good to finally fill my paintball canisters, so I can at last set up my pressurized CO2 system, only to discover this store no longer does paintball refills... :banghead: :mad: :bad-words:

Then I went to my favorite LFS (Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica) to spend a gift card I'd gotten for Christmas. Fellow fish geeks will understand how excited I was buying $30 of Ohko stones. :brows:

(Also got some crypt parva and root tabs for the 10g in prep for making it a planted tank, as the fry I've raised to adulthood in it are going to the LFS tomorrow. My little ones are all growed up.)

Went to Dick's Sporting Good to finally fill my paintball canisters, so I can at last set up my pressurized CO2 system, only to discover this store no longer does paintball refills... :banghead: :mad: :bad-words:

Then I went to my favorite LFS (Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica) to spend a gift card I'd gotten for Christmas. Fellow fish geeks will understand how excited I was buying $30 of Ohko stones. :brows:

(Also got some crypt parva and root tabs for the 10g in prep for making it a planted tank, as the fry I've raised to adulthood in it are going to the LFS tomorrow. My little ones are all growed up.)
Nice some dragon rock. My lfs has tons of it for 1.99 a lb. An seiryu for the same price. I get my paintball tanks filled at academy but I have 4 total, so don't go back for months ?

Dude... Your profile says you're in SoCal in the middle of paintball season. Find a field near you. Probably cheaper per fill there anyway. Sunday is practice day usually for any teams that stuck together after nationals in October. So if you go early expect rapid fire. Speedballers are a "special" breed.

Ok.. Back to fish :D

I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium.

The first and most tedious of them was to do a massive trim on my community tank and hand pick green hair algae from about 150ish stems then do them individually in a strong peroxide dip. I did this in two sittings and left them cleaned seems in separate containers. The first took 2.5 hours, the next day took another 2. I didn't disturb my crypts but they got the gha algae carefully removed by hand and the worst effected leaves were trimmed off. I did a minor peroxide treatment on the tank, trimmed back all my changed plants to size then did a second peroxide dip before replanting. So far I've seen a few small strands since the replant, but the tank looked good but pretty bare.

The next day I did some shopping because I wanted to fill a couple more spaces. I picked up 4 punnets of hairgrass and a plant in pack from aquarium industries with 5 Red Rubin swords. I love the ease of cleaning the plant in pack gel base. The hairgrass was a pain though. I've tried it before but never taken great care with the roots. This time I carefully separated the roots and pulled apart hundreds of clumps without damaging many. I did all that 4 days ago, trimmed the hairgrass yesterday as well as the melting leaves on the swords. I'm seeing new leaves on the swords already and a few new runners from the hairgrass. I think I've gone a bit crazy on the trimming though. I didn't trim many crypts and they tower above everything else.

My betta tank also got a small lighting upgrade. I have a 1 foot dual t5 that had stopped working. I pulled it's cover off and fiddled with the ends where the tubes plug in. It worked again, I put the cover on, placed it on the tank �� not working again. Repeat process, 1 bulb works this time and it was the daylight tube so I opted to withdraw from this battle and rethink my strategy. I did a pwc on my 6 running tanks fertilized 2 and decided enough was enough I'd probably didn't close to a full day of my last 4 days cleaning tanks, another full day doing other household tasks that captain procrastinate had agreed to a long to do list.

I generally work through the day, so I use my aquarium lighting as room light at night rather than running them in an empty house through the day. After doing all that work and I noticed something I never have before. Is summer here and we get loads of these flies about 2mm long. As one of them free between the tank and the light my tank stays boiling with activity. Fly hits water, fish swarm it and then start chasing the lucky rasbora that swan away chewing like crazy. Tank went quiet after that, but I just watched and saw them hunt about 5 more before bed time. It was big fun.

The last major aquarium task on my list was to reduce the amount of duckweed that was infesting two of my tanks. I keep a little bit in these tanks which I occasionally skim off and feed to my comets. CP (captain procrastinate) had left this simple task until it became a big chore.

For the first time in a while I can look at my favourite tank without feeling guilty about creating a jungle where the fish are cramped.

I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium.

The first and most tedious of them was to do a massive trim on my community tank and hand pick green hair algae from about 150ish stems then do them individually in a strong peroxide dip. I did this in two sittings and left them cleaned seems in separate containers. The first took 2.5 hours, the next day took another 2. I didn't disturb my crypts but they got the gha algae carefully removed by hand and the worst effected leaves were trimmed off. I did a minor peroxide treatment on the tank, trimmed back all my cleaned plants to size then did a second peroxide dip before replanting. So far I've seen a few small gha strands since the replant, but the tank looks fairly clean.

The next day I did some shopping because I wanted to fill a couple more spaces. I picked up 4 punnets of hairgrass and a plant in pack from aquarium industries with 5 Red Rubin swords. I love the ease of cleaning the plant in pack gel base. The hairgrass was a pain though. I've tried hairgrass before but never taken great care with the roots and usually have a decent amount of it die. This time I carefully separated the roots and pulled apart hundreds of clumps without damaging many. I did all that 4 days ago, trimmed the hairgrass yesterday as well as the melting leaves on the swords. I'm seeing new leaves on the swords already and a few new runners from the hairgrass. I think I've gone a bit crazy on the trimming though. I didn't trim many crypts and they tower above everything else.

My betta tank also got a small lighting upgrade. I have a 1 foot dual t5 that had stopped working. I pulled it's cover off and fiddled with the ends where the tubes plug in. It worked again, I put the cover on, placed it on the tank �� not working again. Repeat process, 1 bulb works this time and it was the daylight tube so I opted to withdraw from this battle and rethink my strategy. I did a pwc on my 6 running tanks fertilized 2 and decided enough was enough I'd probably didn't close to a full day of my last 4 days cleaning tanks, another full day doing other household tasks that captain procrastinate had agreed to a long to do list.

I generally work through the day, so I use my aquarium lighting as room light at night rather than running them in an empty house through the day. After doing all that work and I noticed something I never have before. Is summer here and we get loads of these flies about 2mm long. As one of them free between the tank and the light my tank stays boiling with activity. Fly hits water, fish swarm it and then start chasing the lucky rasbora that swan away chewing like crazy. Tank went quiet after that, but I just watched and saw them hunt about 5 more before bed time. It was big fun.

The last major aquarium task on my list was to reduce the amount of duckweed that was infesting two of my tanks. I keep a little bit in these tanks which I occasionally skim off and feed to my comets. CP (captain procrastinate) had left this simple task until it became a big chore. I also managed to get both three of the t5 working again too ?

For the first time in a while I can look at my favourite tank without feeling guilty about creating a jungle where the fish are cramped.

Dude... Your profile says you're in SoCal in the middle of paintball season. Find a field near you. Probably cheaper per fill there anyway. Sunday is practice day usually for any teams that stuck together after nationals in October. So if you go early expect rapid fire. Speedballers are a "special" breed.

Ok.. Back to fish :D

Nearest fields are a good half-hour away. Not a problem if I had a car, but I don't, so... it gets problematic. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom