What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did my weekly 25% water change in both tanks and rearranged them. Took my holding female out and put her in a net breeder in my fry tank. Took a 1.25" juvi out of the fry tank and put it in my bigger tank. Now that I rearranged my fry tank all the fry are hanging out together now. My king tiger pleco is pretty pissed I changed the tank around and just lays under the rock. Can't wait to see how many fry i get this time. I only got 10 the last or that's how many made it till now. The newest juvi addition doesn't quite know how to act around the big fish like the one that has been in there for awhile. New is just hiding in the cracks. Hopefully will learn to not be afraid. Tried to get a newer pic of my dominate male but he just chills at the bottom now that his woman is gone. Here's one from about a month ago.

Attachments

• Image1485662170.414082.jpg
    Image1485662170.414082.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 55
  • Image1485662399.778299.jpg
    Image1485662399.778299.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Image1485662464.217496.jpg
    Image1485662464.217496.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Image1485662847.062533.jpg
    Image1485662847.062533.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 60
Also did a reseal on the 55g I picked up cheap. Had a reptile in it so had to get rid of the ammonia infested old sealant. Always looking for decorating idea for this new set up. Feel free to share your tank with me!

Attachments

• Image1485663306.710291.jpg
    Image1485663306.710291.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 43
View attachment 294039

Received my driftwood in the mail today... can't wait to get started! Only a few things left to go!!

That's gnarly and oh so cool!!!

Did my weekly 25% water change in both tanks and rearranged them. Took my holding female out and put her in a net breeder in my fry tank. Took a 1.25" juvi out of the fry tank and put it in my bigger tank. Now that I rearranged my fry tank all the fry are hanging out together now. My king tiger pleco is pretty pissed I changed the tank around and just lays under the rock. Can't wait to see how many fry i get this time. I only got 10 the last or that's how many made it till now. The newest juvi addition doesn't quite know how to act around the big fish like the one that has been in there for awhile. New is just hiding in the cracks. Hopefully will learn to not be afraid. Tried to get a newer pic of my dominate male but he just chills at the bottom now that his woman is gone. Here's one from about a month ago.

That is a beautiful fish. What is it?

Also did a reseal on the 55g I picked up cheap. Had a reptile in it so had to get rid of the ammonia infested old sealant. Always looking for decorating idea for this new set up. Feel free to share your tank with me!

Looking very nice.

Lost one of my oldest snails in my main tank yesterday.

...old cleanest water

So sorry to hear of the loss, I hate that.

old cleanest water...:lol: Like the thread, You know you are a fish nerd if you know exactly what that means!!!
~~~

Took a few minutes after looking at shrimp colors, to look at a some 3D backgrounds which are available, and some are a life savings to buy!!!

I have one which I got in a trade and never have used just in case it might have got wasp spray overspray as it was in a corner not too far from a huge nest I sprayed and the air grabbed some of it and it took off towards that item. Which is a real bummer as I had planned to use it on the 72G next time I moved it or broke it down.

Some fish are likely going to their new home tomorrow!!

Started keeping my eyes open again for a good price on some Clown Loaches or at least some really healthy looking ones for a reasonable price. I do not want to order them, I would like to see them first.

Okay My Metro 14 came in the mail YAY - 2 liter (glut / & threw out the activator) what is the ratio to water? Anyone can PM me :) THX

Hoping my plants will respond well. Need to dig up the ole root tabs I have stuffed somewhere, (like a squirrel before winter).

Back to the background - I am wondering if it will take up too much space, I'm concerned about getting a perfect fit in an Edge's awkward space. Might just buy the frosted glass coating as a background so I don't have to think about it for awhile, lol. But then there are a couple different options with frostiness. Nothing is simple anymore!!!

Well I usually get them locally - so far anyhow from hobbyists, have been searching all around and just started looking at the Bloody Mary shrimp.

Ah, just saw that last night, looks VERY impressive (y) Wish I could get a tour...but too far away!

~~~
Just worked a lot, but not on the tanks.

Checked for tissue culture plants at the lfs, but there was nothing in good condition, last night. Have to try another in the next couple days.

Now the hard part begins.

What is the new scape plan going to be?

Grant has been a hobbyist for some time now. A big chunk of what he sells is his own stock. He gave up his day job in December to do shrimp full time after cleaning house at the shrimp and scape competitions in Chicago.

Look him up on facebook and you can talk to him in the various shrimp and planted tank groups. He's local to me so we're usually bidding against each other for plants at the club auctions. Good guy, I enjoy being around him and talking fish and shrimp. Very easy to talk to doesn't talk over your head and will explain something if you ask him to.

Sunday maintenance day
30 percent wc, trimmed moss, trimmed remaining parva leaves with bba, picked some gha, replaced zeocarb, tore apart filter and cleaned, pitched bunch of s.minima. Tank is 5 1/2 months now doing pretty good.

Biorb all cleared up after the major clean yesterday. IMG_7359.jpg

Maintank doing ok too. I was messing with the Finnex light and man did it freak the fish out!
IMG_7362.jpg

Watching the baby snails and spotted my first shrimplette. On the back of the pink snail in front of the ramshorn.

IMG_7373.jpg

And a stupid hydra!IMG_7377.jpg

Last edited:
What came in the mailbox? I missed something.

LOL, Amazonia substrate from Amano.

Autumnsky he is a eureka red peacock cichlid

Beautiful fish!

Biorb all cleared up after the major clean yesterday. View attachment 294097

Maintank doing ok too. I was messing with the Finnex light and man did it freak the fish out!
View attachment 294098

Watching the baby snails and spotted my first shrimplette. On the back of the pink snail in front of the ramshorn.

View attachment 294099

And a stupid hydra!View attachment 294100

Well bummer about the Hydra but the pic of Red in the BiOrb is like a posterchild for the BiOrb tank!

Well King, no shrimp yet about 5-6 more weeks still.

Next Friday we will have a good meeting of the aquarium society, last month was cancelled due to weather. Looking excitedly to the end of the coming week. Will get chance to shop for a few things. House renos have been keeping me pretty tired and using up all my "spare" time.

Making Progress

So the extra fish in the 46G who were getting adopted, finally did! The new care taker will be adding them to a 90G or a 120G. He gave me some Frogbit and some common Cherry shrimp. And THIS...
60074-albums13090-picture70853.jpg

I was about to buy some from a store and I got this instead for no out of pocket $! Very excited about it, especially because There is that big one which will likely be the one I will put into the 12G with the PRL shrimp to tie on some Anubias Nana Petite to disguise the intake. :dance: The thin one is sooooo nice looking. He said it is from a different plant and it will degrade more quickly, but how pretty it is now!

So that is the good news.

The part which has me concerned is the ADA Amazonia substrate which I bought seems to be very soil like. I have read of varying reports of some being very much like granules/little balls and some being very much like mush. It makes me think that it depends on where in the pile your bag got scooped from top middle bottom. I feel like mine is somewhat from the bottom. It looks like the pics of the powder type...hmmm. I have been thinking about what to do with this since it arrived somewhat mushy. It seems moist in the bag with lots of powdery moist silty-ness. I fear if I rinse it all will disappear. Maybe email the seller and ask what's up with the texture.

Still have the Platy 10-12 fish in the 46G and will maybe take them to the mini auction on Friday.

So the extra fish in the 46G who were getting adopted, finally did! The new care taker will be adding them to a 90G or a 120G. He gave me some Frogbit and some common Cherry shrimp. And THIS...
60074-albums13090-picture70853.jpg

I was about to buy some from a store and I got this instead for no out of pocket $! Very excited about it, especially because There is that big one which will likely be the one I will put into the 12G with the PRL shrimp to tie on some Anubias Nana Petite to disguise the intake. :dance: The thin one is sooooo nice looking. He said it is from a different plant and it will degrade more quickly, but how pretty it is now!

So that is the good news.

The part which has me concerned is the ADA Amazonia substrate which I bought seems to be very soil like. I have read of varying reports of some being very much like granules/little balls and some being very much like mush. It makes me think that it depends on where in the pile your bag got scooped from top middle bottom. I feel like mine is somewhat from the bottom. It looks like the pics of the powder type...hmmm. I have been thinking about what to do with this since it arrived somewhat mushy. It seems moist in the bag with lots of powdery moist silty-ness. I fear if I rinse it all will disappear. Maybe email the seller and ask what's up with the texture.

Still have the Platy 10-12 fish in the 46G and will maybe take them to the mini auction on Friday.
You should email them, dont rinse it . Pretty sure they will send u another bag, or you could at least try it's supposed to be in small pea sizes

You should email them, dont rinse it . Pretty sure they will send u another bag, or you could at least try it's supposed to be in small pea sizes

More silty for sure. There are lots of little balls, now that it dried out since Saturday eve. I decided to open it and it smells mouldy. The balls are mush, barely touch them and roll them and they turn to dust. Would for sure rinse all away. I thought these were harder like my Up Aqua is, like little clay balls. Still hmmm.

I will email.

Emailed and waiting for a response, said 2 business days to reply. Maybe going to go with Up Aqua or Fluval Shrimp and Plant Strattum.

Put the Cherry Shrimp in the brandy snifter bowl, which used to be planted but recently after being cleaned has just been sitting on a stool, and all but forgotton. Only the floating plants right now, had a stone which needs some Subwssertang on it and a threw in a chunk of DW. Added a glob of moss, shrimp are busy.

Can't seem to find a little, older version, Finnex Stingray light I have somewhere.

Too busy today to dig around for it. Long day tomorrow, so maybe some pwc and misc aquatics on Thursday.

I managed to finally do a water change on my tank yesterday after having been gone all weekend and unable to do it the Monday I was back. When I tested the water, the ammonia levels were about 2 or 4 ppm but that was kind of what I was expecting considering I hadn't done it in 4 days and the tank's small size. Nitrite/Nitrate levels were 0 ppm so no real problems there.

Also went to the LFS last night and managed to get there just as they were feeding the Whitetip Reef Shark they have on residence. I was a little confused what the white meat they were feeding it was, till I was informed that it was squid meat. Overall it was pretty cool.

I put a sponge pre-filter on one of my Aquaclears last week and, while it's been doing a great job (I no longer get the "rising basket effect" from a clogged internal sponge), it itself clogs up within around a week and has to be taken out for a cleaning (such as last night), lest it choke off the water flow. It's annoying enough that I'm considering removing it and looking for other options.

Odd. Usually I can go several weeks without messing with the prefilter. It may have to do with micron size.

Went out and bought another 75 gallon tank with stand my whole living room is full of aquariums now I needed something to put my new sharks in and my angel fish

Back
Top Bottom