What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a 50% PWC on my 20 gal. Didn't realize I was doing such a heavy change until I replaced 9 gallons of water (took out 8.) I did a good gravel vac. It was SO much better today after giving bloodworms twice a day for the past 6 days due to chronic constipation problems. The floor was so much cleaner. Now it is just a matter of doing deep gravel cleans on a weekly basis (with the pwc) until it is good and clean. I feel like my tank is so dirty sometimes. But in reality, it's the cleanest it has ever been since original set up and New Year's Eve restart/clean/transport in 2015. The edges of my tank, the gravel gets bad along there and the corners. But other than that, it's pretty clean. Today was supposed to be a fasting day. Buuut, I fed them twice with bloodworms since that's good for their digestive system, too. And of course, I watched them eat away.
1488156402072.jpg

I did a 50% PWC on my 20 gal. Didn't realize I was doing such a heavy change until I replaced 9 gallons of water (took out 8.) I did a good gravel vac. It was SO much better today after giving bloodworms twice a day for the past 6 days due to chronic constipation problems. The floor was so much cleaner. Now it is just a matter of doing deep gravel cleans on a weekly basis (with the pwc) until it is good and clean. I feel like my tank is so dirty sometimes. But in reality, it's the cleanest it has ever been since original set up and New Year's Eve restart/clean/transport in 2015. The edges of my tank, the gravel gets bad along there and the corners. But other than that, it's pretty clean. Today was supposed to be a fasting day. Buuut, I fed them twice with bloodworms since that's good for their digestive system, too. And of course, I watched them eat away.
View attachment 295567
Looks clean. Good job.

PWC on the Snail/Shrimp nursery. Canister clean/rinse. Prefilter is doing the job, no shrimp in the canister. Moved things around a bit too.

Found my first suicide today: I had been wondering why I had only been seeing one otocinclus for a while, finally thought to look behind the aquarium with a flashlight... :shock:

Yep, there he was, and he'd apparently been there for a while, a little dust-bunny mummy. RIP, little Oto.

Why do they always pick the most out of the way, hard to get to places to do this? :rolleyes:

I dropped in some cucumber & broccoli and then fed my millions of guppy fry with liquifry. That's it really!

Many heaters come with guards now to help protect the sucking, sticky critters and bettas.

I haven't seen anybody rest on the heater in the other tank, even though it's longer and still horizontal. We got a second of that type.

Also did some work prepping my new tree for ties. First I ran out of stainless wire and then fishing line....2/3 done. Woohoo trip the the craft/crap store today!!!

I'm so excited to see what you do! I'm sure it will be amazing.
Discovered that goldfish think melon is ice cream View attachment 295586
Lol!
Awesome!

1488215120255.jpg

Ready for a very short dry-ish start!

Not sure how to keep the snails in the same tank separated from the puffers without it looking terrible.

Perhaps the snails could enhabit a "critter keeper" ?

I bought a pretty terrarium for the Betta to hang out in today, but it looks like an alien coming to abduct the islanders lol!

Good thing I'm never satisfied with my tank, and always happy to make changes:p

I think I'll go back for a couple more and put them on the bottom, surrounded by plants:)Image1488215570.368965.jpgImage1488215645.498930.jpg

oh no what I do :D I did it again . ordered another bulk box of coral frags like I did a few years back I must be insane lol , LPS , SPS , Softies I hope I have enough room . just couldn't resist the deal 60+ frags :eek: , think I may be adding a few islands on the sand bed , picts in next day or so , gives me a excuse to start another tank. .
Save
Save

Last edited:
oh no what I do :D I did it again . ordered another bulk box of coral frags like I did a few years back I must be insane lol , LPS , SPS , Softies I hope I have enough room . just couldn't resist the deal 60+ frags :eek: , think I may be adding a few islands on the sand bed , picts in next day or so , gives me a excuse to start another tank. .
Save
Save

MTS syndrome strikes again!

Save
Save

Golly, you'd hate to run out of things to do Seaweed, me too lol. When will we learn! :popcorn:

I am just gonna start pwc for the week, hitting one or 2 at a time as I can squeeze out the time.

~~~***~~~

Trying to decide if I want to move the 6.6G nano to a 12G Mr. Aqua since I have yet to get the other low iron bottom glass repaired yet, at least it ould be more room. I fear making a move on any thing because of issues in losses.

I have a bag of black Hawaiian sand for a SW tank since about a year now still sitting in my drawer. Maybe time to get it out and get busy. Probably Friday I will have a day off and time to complete and watch for issues I can be there to fix if needed. I would have much more room for the MacroAlgae and a new fish! Hmmm.

Deconstructed my 20 gallon. I'm turning it into a terrarium. It was time for me to concentrate on the 36 gallon...which is turning out lovely! Did a small pwc, cleaned the gravel a little, and tidied up the plants. Gave the fish their weekly bloodworm feeding - they went nuts as usual! They're so funny.

Found higher nitrates in my 72G, did a canister filter flush and changed about 50G. Better but not great yet, so likely another 1/3rd tonight. Moving a few fish.

Found a odly shaped Starfish in my SW nano which I am gonna guess is a Asterina Star. I haven't ever had one before, but I hear you get them from too much feeding. So now I will need to cut back some. I figure it came in with my RFA order a couple months back and is finally growing up.

Did a test on the new ADA Amazonia Light and found after a few days of sitting it is at .50 ammonia so will do a rinse out tonight and test in a couple more days. I will get to setting up a review thread for it soon. Took pics for that already.

Her is one for comparison -Dark is Amazonia, Brownish tan is Amazonia Light
60074-albums13946-picture70937.jpg

today i got 5 pairs and trios of fancy guppys for my breeding projects, got 5 unidentified rainbow fish, did a video Blog for my youtube fish channel. setup a 55 galon. Finished moving into my new fish room. And i am planning on buying 3 new 10 galons to use as breeding tanks.

What is a canister flush?

A canister flush is a wonderful thing that my Fluval FX-5 can do because it has a valve at the bottom which you can attach a hose to unplug, and open the valve and whoosh goes the water through the filter and helps move the gunk out.

I have only done it a few times because the filter is below grade and has to go up 5 feet to the exit point so it makes the pushing water part out a little trickier than if it was just being hosed out to the yard or a tub. Also I do not have the exact fitting for the tubing and it has taken a few times of using it to get it right, and not spill any water.

So far now, have done 3 changes and not spilled any water at all from that valve fitting. Basically it is a little pliable and I just jam the python hose fitting onto it. Was scared the pressure would blow it off, but after a couple time practicing with a second person to make sure one held it and one watched to make sure the water was going where it was supposed to - Victory! (haha, long answer for a short question)

today i got 5 pairs and trios of fancy guppys for my breeding projects, got 5 unidentified rainbow fish, did a video Blog for my youtube fish channel. setup a 55 galon. Finished moving into my new fish room. And i am planning on buying 3 new 10 galons to use as breeding tanks.

Congrats on a really busy day!

~~~~

Tonight was able to give the little Red Cherry Shrimp in the planted bowl some new plants and a fresh clean on their substrate and a 2/3 pwc. Removes some pale plants and added Susswasswertang. There are 6 - 2 are really dark, one is really almost tan. 3 pinkish-red.

Did the extra pwc 50% on the 72G and after retesting a couple hours after the last change only had 10 nitrates. Very happy indeed.

Need to do a test for the 46G tonight and will do a pwc tomorrow for that tank so I can move over some fish.

Also noticed my female Rio Xtappa Swordtail, is medium close to giving birth, so maybe gonna move her over to the Spec V.

Pwc on the TT Shrimp tank 30%.

Good days work, happy to get those things done, almost caught up again.

A canister flush is a wonderful thing that my Fluval FX-5 can do because it has a valve at the bottom which you can attach a hose to unplug, and open the valve and whoosh goes the water through the filter and helps move the gunk out.

I have only done it a few times because the filter is below grade and has to go up 5 feet to the exit point so it makes the pushing water part out a little trickier than if it was just being hosed out to the yard or a tub. Also I do not have the exact fitting for the tubing and it has taken a few times of using it to get it right, and not spill any water.

So far now, have done 3 changes and not spilled any water at all from that valve fitting. Basically it is a little pliable and I just jam the python hose fitting onto it. Was scared the pressure would blow it off, but after a couple time practicing with a second person to make sure one held it and one watched to make sure the water was going where it was supposed to - Victory! (haha, long answer for a short question)

Congrats on a really busy day!

~~~~

Tonight was able to give the little Red Cherry Shrimp in the planted bowl some new plants and a fresh clean on their substrate and a 2/3 pwc. Removes some pale plants and added Susswasswertang. There are 6 - 2 are really dark, one is really almost tan. 3 pinkish-red.

Did the extra pwc 50% on the 72G and after retesting a couple hours after the last change only had 10 nitrates. Very happy indeed.

Need to do a test for the 46G tonight and will do a pwc tomorrow for that tank so I can move over some fish.

Also noticed my female Rio Xtappa Swordtail, is medium close to giving birth, so maybe gonna move her over to the Spec V.

Pwc on the TT Shrimp tank 30%.

Good days work, happy to get those things done, almost caught up again.

That almost sounds like a sand filter for a pool when you back wash ,

I'm working my way slowly to get water changes done , just been a couch potato today , frags come on thurs so I need to get this done. not looking forward to next fri that is when my sump is due for it's full service cleaning cleaning the pumps and stuff and what ever crud I find , replacing all hoses adding ball cocks one thing I forgot when I first built it . looks like my main skimmer pump is on it's last leg so prob replace that too. good time to figure out why my overflow don't hold it's prim during power outages I have it on a remote switch so it don't start pumping when power comes back on or it overflows the tank , been thee done that not fun , a lot of stuff to do in the next week

...good time to figure out why my overflow don't hold it's prim during power outages I have it on a remote switch so it don't start pumping when power comes back on or it overflows the tank , been thee done that not fun , a lot of stuff to do in the next week

I can show you a very easy float switch wire diagram that prevents the tank from overflowing if the overflow does not start back up. I have it on my tank. It has saved my floor on a number of occasions

Check out my thread here. It shows the float switch

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/my-new-90-setup-with-20gal-sump-351469.html

Although it sounds like you have this already...

Last edited:
As I was walking out the door today for work I fed the fish and saw a tiny Albino BN Pleco fry on the glass, moving around everywhere sucking on the glass. Was very excited that they spawned successfully but do not know if I will ever see it again, (added a cave which they didn't use this time) not long ago and also hadn't seen the big bushy face male only for a minute in the mast 6 weeks maybe, now I know why, he was guarding his eggs.

So proud to be a Pleco grandma. I wasn't able to take the time to catch it, but if I see that one or more of them I will (try to) capture it and move it.

Did 6 pwc and have 2 left.

Also saw one more Asterina Starfish. If I see more of those I will move them to the macroalgae vase tank, I think 2 would be enough there.

Spent a little time trying to figure out if I could move my 12 Mr. Aqua to the SW nano tank stand and it is about a half inch so 1/4" on each side to wide. Might move off the Edge soon and see how bad that difference in size makes it look. It might be fine.

The pics I took of the tiny Pleco fry was blurry and not good pic :(.

Oh and I think the big pwc's caused the 2 of the 3 Koi Angels to spawn. :eek: Mad doggin all the fish.

Back
Top Bottom