What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another disaster day, very tiring few days.

Found I did not plug the filter back on last night, I had plugged it in and then unplugged it and then forgot. I did add an additional dose smaller maybe half dose of calcium before lights out last night.

Fish looked alright but the water was cloudy from the calcium and I realized my error this morning.

Added a couple ounces of Stability and an extra air pump and left.

###
Upon arriving at home I noticed that the tank was still kind of cloudy but I guessed it could be from the different kind of calcium I used and who knows really.

Then I saw one dead fish and 3 looking on the brink.

Tested the water.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 0
Ph 6.8

I am pretty sure my canister filter flow is low as I needed to do the filter clean out, but was low on Prime, and needed to pick it up.

Forgot that while I was out, lots going on.

Did a over half pwc plus 2 buckets refilled while the tank was still draining before I stopped it. Most of the fish perked up. I found an additonal dead fish.

Thinking I lost the eggs from the Pleco too.

An additional problem was I found that the extra pump I had put on the tank, was faulty, starts and stops at any time maybe loose connection. So the tank was barely getting O2. Threw it away.

Hooked up a new air pump from the supply closet. Added the valve and an air stone.

Did an additional pwc of just over 50% Tested and all the parameters were perfect again. So much water changing. Not probably see all 0's again.

This prompted me to clear out some stuff in the storage utility closet so I could get a better idea of what was in there. The auction is coming up and maybe will find some stuff to get rid of.

Found and additional set of API test kit just expired in November 16. Had 3 sets of ammonia tests, Extra nitrate and an extra off brand unkown to me of a ammonia test kit, and an additional kH kit. Almost everything wa expired. Reorganized my test kit container with the extra stuff.

Found some new Matrix and new Fluval ceramic media and a new 4x 14 bag to use and filled it to the top with the media. Had a couple things come up and couldn't do the filter clean out tonight and won't chance doing it late so I don't have some equipment catastrophe (seems I have enough disaster to keep me busy)

So tank is crystal clear as usual. Cleanest it has been in ages.

Lost a Green Kubotai and a Neon, one thought he was dead laying sideways in the floating Wisteria, but I turned him up right a couple times and he calmed down, got his bearing and swam correctly away. Haven't seen his dead body tonight, hope everything else made it.

My Glass Cat was spiraling in every direction, and I didn't see it later dead or alive but they hide frequently behind the plants in back.

Perfect Storm. Not my favorite kind of "Perfect".

I'm afraid to touch anything else. Still need to do the 72G's filter and the 46G pwc. :eek:

Busy, busy.

Too busy just saw the fish cannibals eatting the body of the Glass cat, it was a nice one. and I just bought three more of them which are in QT for them as pals. I will be looking around for its tank mate, there was a pair.

Looks like there are still eggs in the cave, though Mr. Bushynose did come out for a breather during the catastrophe.

Had to just keep telling myself to be calm and do what I could, that freaking out wouldn't be any help. Doing a 100% pwc with new med dose and acclimation for the Angel in QT bucket, feed first tonight before, fed a few pellets this AM. It's eyes look better, though hard to tell for sure in the orange bucket glare.

Resting before doing a pwc on the SW 6.6 Nano, need to try and get the 46G done tonight, sa at least 2 babies which have evaded the Angelfish and Gourami in the "weeds". Going to catch the fish which will be rehomed this next week and put into the 46G.

The Green Lantern Platy are so pretty, but watching 20 of them herd around like a crazed maniacs every time I get near the tank causes me stress, not anything like watching 20 Cardinal Tetras "shoal".

That mean Swordtail is still chasing around the Angel. Literally chasing him down and when he get there, biting him on the side.

Kinda scared he will bully the fish in the 46G so maybe have to set up another bucket with a towel as a "lid" maybe I can find one of the old lids and just drill holes for the heater and air tube and put him in solitary confinement with the lid snapped down so I don't have to worry about him jumping out. Since he is the pretty one of the 3 fish, I do not want to lose him.

Finally had it with the 29

Just as I thought it was all better, two more harlequins got fungus

I ripped the tank down, put everyone in the qt and added meds.

It's way overstocked in there but I don't know what more to do short of euthanized them as they get sick:(

I'll soak the tank overnight, then set it up with 5x Prime tomorrow......repeat with 100%changes for the duration of the first dose......then attempt to start a cycle using media from the goldfish tank and bacterial supplement whilst adding the second dose of meds to the ten gallon

I'm trying to decide if a 2 1/2 inch pleco is big enough to not be eaten by a 4-5inch goldfish? I'm not happy having a pleco in a ten gallon tank :/

Right now he's in a breeder box while I decide what to do with him

Autumnsky I wish I was there to make you a cocktail and help you carry buckets. Good luck!

That is a very nice thought, thank you!

Finally had it with the 29

Just as I thought it was all better, two more harlequins got fungus

I ripped the tank down, put everyone in the qt and added meds.

It's way overstocked in there but I don't know what more to do short of euthanized them as they get sick:(

I'll soak the tank overnight, then set it up with 5x Prime tomorrow......repeat with 100%changes for the duration of the first dose......then attempt to start a cycle using media from the goldfish tank and bacterial supplement whilst adding the second dose of meds to the ten gallon

I'm trying to decide if a 2 1/2 inch pleco is big enough to not be eaten by a 4-5inch goldfish? I'm not happy having a pleco in a ten gallon tank :/

Right now he's in a breeder box while I decide what to do with him

Bummer. Big disappointment. Very sorry it just didn't come out of it. Maybe this will get things back on track.

!~~~

Thinking of getting a trash can with the wheels circle thing to be able to fill then roll in, and can actually have water staying at the right temp. heat the water, and through a pump into the bottom and pump it in after the empty part. Will maybe need to check Costco for that, or HD. Just need to figure out the actual process, before I buy something I don't use.

Bought some sand the other day to mock up the new stones only to discover after lifting 60lbs. 2x, that it is not for playing with, has too much dust, danger of silicosis. Nobody want that. :facepalm: So won't be able to use for double duty play tabe sand for the little children.

Bought some baby tears yesterday from the nursery and used half for a planted vase type - dry not under water. And the other half went to a larger pot to grow larger and maybe try a modified drystart.

This is the busy part of the work week - no time!!!

Did a pwc, 50% today, tested the water too. Second week in a row that there is no ammonia or nitrites so I think I finally have it cycled. :D

Went to the LFS, found a 20% off all live plants sale going on...was too good to resist not getting something. Ended up with some Dwarf Sag, and Bacopa M. something or other. Its a fine leaf'ed Bacopa, and really soft. Enjoying how that looks in the tank. Also got myself a second Zebra Nerite. I think the two I have in there are different kinds of Zebra Nerite or something because one is brown with black stripes and the other is black with white stripes. Makes it easy to tell them apart though.

Going to rearrange everything in the tank tomorrow so that it looks nicer than just the mess I got in now. Current set-up looked nice with a few live plants, with the latest additions it doesn't look as good. Definitely looking forward to messing around in there. I'll post a pic here tomorrow after I'm done.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot but I think I'm going to mess around with the arrangement in my 1 gallon too, so that it actually looks like a tank rather than a plant holding bin like it has been for the last while.

Last edited:
Had to take my green spotted puffer out of the tank and put it by itself it ate the fin off my dojo

@Autumnsky I hope your tank troubles get better soon!����

Thank you - Still some issues.

Weekly water tests. Love love love seeing the blue- that beautiful blue- when the nitrites are zero.

Lovely color.

My 12G cycling SW nano tested Nitites today and bright violet!!! Violet is a nice color but not for a Nitrite test :rolleyes:

Did a pwc, 50% today, tested the water too. Second week in a row that there is no ammonia or nitrites so I think I finally have it cycled. :D

Went to the LFS, found a 20% off all live plants sale going on...was too good to resist not getting something. Ended up with some Dwarf Sag, and Bacopa M. something or other. Its a fine leaf'ed Bacopa, and really soft. Enjoying how that looks in the tank. Also got myself a second Zebra Nerite. I think the two I have in there are different kinds of Zebra Nerite or something because one is brown with black stripes and the other is black with white stripes. Makes it easy to tell them apart though.

Going to rearrange everything in the tank tomorrow so that it looks nicer than just the mess I got in now. Current set-up looked nice with a few live plants, with the latest additions it doesn't look as good. Definitely looking forward to messing around in there. I'll post a pic here tomorrow after I'm done.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot but I think I'm going to mess around with the arrangement in my 1 gallon too, so that it actually looks like a tank rather than a plant holding bin like it has been for the last while.

Yay!

Had to take my green spotted puffer out of the tank and put it by itself it ate the fin off my dojo

Yikes. Sorry to hear that, it is not uncommon for them to be sole tank inhabitants from what I keep hearing.

!!!!!???????????!!!!!

So, on the positive side of things, found some fresh looking DHG finally after looking at numerous stores across the region for weeks. Bought 2 tissue culture packs.

Gearing up for a Iwagumi inspired tank build.

~85% Pwc on the Angel med bucket.

Saw the Swordtail picking/biting at the Angelfish again, tried for an hour, tried and came back to it, came back to it, came back to it NO NO NO NO!(remember this part...for about an hour of actual trying over about 2 hours time) to capture him tearing around the tank, making a bit of a mess with 3 nets. He knew I was after him... and avoided me easily in the tank full of plants and spiky DW - pic from last month. Nightmare.

60074-albums11380-picture70876.jpg

Since I was in the tank, I WAS able to capture the 2 Odessa Barbs and find a dead fish body and remove :( and capture the remaining Glass Catfish to move to the other tank with the other new ones. And move the gigantic Spotted Raphael Catfish Neon Tetra vacuum out and over to the 46G, it's new home. So that was some good of that time.

In between chasing the sneaky mean Swordtail, I was able to do a pwc of about 1/3rd on the 46G.

Daughter came to visit and I was saying about what a crazy time I was having with the fish and we looked at pics of her old tank, the 46G and the fish, some still remain. She said let me see if I can catch him. I told her all 3 Swordtails would need to be caught, so any would be a bonus.

In - no exaggeration here...one minute she caught a female, and in 2 minutes she caught the male!!!!! 3 minutes. WHAT??????!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :banghead: (y) :lol: can't believe it, :huh: And I am a really good fish catcher (normally) Still can't believe it!

Took a bucket with leftover substrate and some stones and added it to the 46G to clear the clutter, also a bucket of plants that remained from the 6.6G rescape, they were in a 5G bucket, and I was using the acrylic top for the 12G over the bucket to hold the extra LED light on top to keep them green, so got that out of the way too.

I need the top and the light for two other tanks. Moved a bunch of plants into the 5G spec along with some small DW. Just dropped the stuff in there.

Now have a 5G bucket with the Swordtails in it and have the bubbler but need to find a heater.

Feeling disappointed because nothing is really completed - in the middle of messing with about 8 tank projects, even though I KNOW there is progress, not done. It is the complicated, never ending, musical tanks mess.

Could be much worse, could be definitely better. The definition of limbo!!!!

Smiled when I saw my Pom Pom Crab out filtering in the SW 6.6G nano. :popcorn:

Oh, found out the poppa BN Pleco is not actually big MR. BN but the younger one!!! That was a surprise.

Last edited:
Daughter came to visit and I was saying about what a crazy time I was having with the fish and we looked at pics of her old tank, the 46G and the fish, some still remain. She said let me see if I can catch him. I told her all 3 Swordtails would need to be caught, so any would be a bonus.

In - no exaggeration here...one minute she caught a female, and in 2 minutes she caught the male!!!!! 3 minutes. WHAT??????!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :banghead: (y) :lol: can't believe it, :huh: And I am a really good fish catcher (normally) Still can't believe it!

Your fish know all your moves! She threw some new stuff at them they couldn't anticipate. Lol

I bought myself a Milwaukee Regulator w/ solenoid, bubble counter, and needle valve today. It should be here early next week. 5lb CO2 bottle will be here Monday. Got my Saga CO2 inline diffuser in a few days back. Now just to get the plumbing figured out to pipe it into the return. The Saga has 16mm hose connection and I am running 3/4PVC on my return. Not sure if I want to just put the diffuser inline on the main return pump or T it in and use a small pump to mix the CO2 in. I am concerned that I may be restricting the flow to much if I plump the diffuser inline of the main pump. 0.5" hole compared to the current 0.75" hole.

Did a 40% WC. Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrates 40+ppm before the WC.

Cheers

Your fish know all your moves! She threw some new stuff at them they couldn't anticipate. Lol

So true! That last female fish which had been swimming all around the front of the tank looking for its friends for a couple hours, disappered instantly when I walked over to the tank to make another attempt that night before bed. :lol:

I bought myself a Milwaukee Regulator w/ solenoid, bubble counter, and needle valve today. It should be here early next week. 5lb CO2 bottle will be here Monday. Got my Saga CO2 inline diffuser in a few days back. Now just to get the plumbing figured out to pipe it into the return. The Saga has 16mm hose connection and I am running 3/4PVC on my return. Not sure if I want to just put the diffuser inline on the main return pump or T it in and use a small pump to mix the CO2 in. I am concerned that I may be restricting the flow to much if I plump the diffuser inline of the main pump. 0.5" hole compared to the current 0.75" hole.

Did a 40% WC. Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrates 40+ppm before the WC.

Cheers

NICE!

~~~

Okay, today I found out I will be getting a beautiful huge pair of mature Discus from a fellow hobbyist. I am so thrilled. He's moving and reducing a couple hundred tanks in giant fish basement, down to a smaller amount (unknown what number that is!!!lol, easier to take care of.

My head is spinning with the news, beautiful - I think, Red Turquoise. I have seen them before a couple times in person and I mentioned I would like them but the price was significantly higher. Last CAS meeting I mentioned I was still interested, and just found out they still needed a home. :) Not sure how long they live and these are a number of years old, I would guess more than 5. Will find out tomorrow evening how old.

Going to start getting the heat moving upwards in the 72G now. Cross checking the high temps for the rest of the fish and plants will take a little time.

The WCMM will be moving over to the 46G.

Considering moving the some of the Green Lantern Platy to a pond outside this summer. They would love to eat mosquito larve.

Going to move the female Koi Angel over to the 72G maybe move some of the DW over there too.

Going to do a pwc in the 72G add in slightly warmer water to get the heaters headed in the right direction. He's giving me an extra heater too.

Got some more fish to try and catch, :eek:

Oh, and this guts my fish auction fund for April 1st!

Last edited:
Good but continually stressful day.

Went and picked up the Discus and the water was 7pH mine I tested this morning was 6.9-7 looked about 7.

Temp was matched and some fish moved out of the 72G to get ready. We are shooting for 84F soon. But for this week 80-82F. Which it is higer for a couple fish and fine for the rest. Still needing to move a few plants too and probably Pepper Cories.

Tested72G tank last night and then again after the 25% pwc to make sure everything was good.

Temp 80F (Discus were in 82F)
Ammonia 0 0
Nitrite 0 0
Nitrate about 15 unk
GH 9-10 unk
KH was .5 unk

Added some calcium and it is at 1.5-2

This is the top numbers for the tank in since forever.

Happy about that. Still need to rinse out the Filter pads and add the Matrix and new Ceramic media pellets

Got the 2 - 8" Discus Turquoise and (a maybe Red) Turquoise, maybe a male and female pair

3 very long fin Angelfish 2 Male Koi and one Silver Lace female

They were acclimated from the old water to the new water, even more carefully than the owner recommended. But the fish are not happy in the tank yet.

I even retested a couple things to make sure I got it right. One Discus seems fair and one unhappy.

These fish are so amazing I have been praying for them to be alright.

Majestic and beautiful.

Got the extra heater, a bunch of Black worms, the Discus favorite treat.

A gigantic 12" and thinner 8" chunks of Bolbitis.

Both Discus are upright and hiding in the back of the tank. I fell a bit better after nearly 3 hours clenched jaw and tense muscles waiting to see how they are.

The guys were in a side aisle tank and didn't see much people activity on a daily basis but they were in a smaller tank and now this one is about 2x thair size.

I am wondering about a few more to help them feel better.

Budget has run out for more of them atm.

MAybe a pic soon

Lost a puffer. Very bummed.

Trimmed some new plants pretty much down to the rhizomes because of the stubborn algae. There's more I need to do with them, but that can wait.

Fiddled with CO2.

5 gal wc on sw, 50% on both 30's. Flooded the basement and spilled my cheese it's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1490531676684.jpg1490531684444.jpg1490531699915.jpg1490531717659.jpg I upgraded my tanks got a 55g so I took my community 36g and upgraded to the 55g and my 20g to the 36 I love the new look [emoji8]

Back
Top Bottom