What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally finally finally got all of the timers and trippers I need to have the lights, solenoid, and Bubbles the dinosaur scheduled.

View attachment 298518
Maxime can tell time. The air pump was minutes from starting when she moved over and waited. Hilarious.

OMGG ROFL Snail tells time!

~~~
My big ole Discus looks okay and swims out to seemingly communicate she is hungry. I just sat down and out she came!!! Beef Heart for everyone!!! When I walk up to the tank sh exits to the cover of Anubias Barteri and Nana behind the flopped out intake. Heading to the freezer to pop ut the cubes and defrost, lest she get a brain freeze.

Actually did NOT get in to the nano and Wabi-Kusa classes for AGA 2017 Conv, but I am on standby probably along with 100 other people. But I can watch for free if there is enough room to stand for 2 hours :) hahahaha. No tank and no goodies.

Because of an unexpectedly busier than usual schedule, I will not be switching over the SW nano tank this week - doing a couple pwc, not sure which tanks yet.

Friday AM will be at the AGA conference helping, maybe at the registration - or somewhere else. If anyone is going, PM me!!!

Some general cleaning and trimming and fertilizing.

The spray bar on my 29 gallon tank keeps getting stopped up, reducing the flow to a trickle. Every few weeks I have to take it off and scrub it out. I've just pulled it off for now, but I'm plotting long-term fixes. Maybe larger holes... When it works, it provides nice water flow throughout the tank, but when it stops up, it's useless.

Ordered some frogbit off Ebay. There's quite a few popular floating plants that are invasive/illegal in TX, but this one doesn't seem to be. So, we'll give it a try!

Major major major water change. The Java Fern in the 29 gallon looked like a ball of threads, so I took it all out, removed the plantlets, and dropped the weighted stuff back in. I have a one gallon bucket about halfway filled with what I removed. I'll be tying and gluing that soon!

I dosed everybody with PraziPro. I think the snails might have a parasite. It's an NTD that's getting more attention, so I wouldn't actually be surprised. Just bummed out.

The otos and shrimp are going to town on the algae on the leaves of the plants, which is AWESOME.

I can see why people love shrimp now.

Water backed up into the bubble counter again. Check valves should be here Tuesday.

I also ordered some plants. Yea! I'm going to move some moss to a wall. It will look awesome.

Today I bought some new plastic plants, mini ones and small ones, to add to my 10g tank. I bought some root tabs for my new Anubius nanas I bought a few days ago and added one. Did a 25% water change, rinsed the filter and changed the carbon filter media. So close to finishing cycling, water parameters today:
Ph 7.6, Ammonia <0.25ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm.
So excited to add a new dwarf gourami! Starting to plan on buying and cycling a 2.5 g quarantine tank. Current stock: 2 African dwarf frogs and 1 platy.

Wish me luck!
BeforeIMG_1110.jpg

AfterIMG_1112.jpg

That RH does look purple, very cool, get some more of those breeding!!!

`~~~~~

Well too much for now but I got to go to the AGA Denver Convention and watch and also help just a tiny bit, Luca Galarraga and see him aquascape a from scratch scape for the convention.

Was there and talked with Karen A. Randal who authored a recently released beautiful book on how to do a planted tank called Sunken Gardens: and she is a delightful person. And the book is beautifully photographed too.

Such a nerd today. Not a huge vendor group but fabulous speakers and the nano class which I did not get to do was awesome opportunity for people, a huge amount of resources, gorgeous fluval tank, DW, stones of all kinds, mats and piles of plants and ground covers, my were popping out of my head!

Met and shared my fanship of Rachel O'leary. She'll be signing my book in the morning :))))))) Got some free little Buceplandras starts, Mini Catherine, Narcissus Blue and Brownie Blue. A few free samples of foods and such, a big or perhaphs medium full sized bag of Hikari Cichlid food, a big poster of a Takashi Amano tank design ADA. I am having fun seeing all the stuff. Great tank from fish Crew lfs I saw at their store couple weeks ago. Looks great.

I will be trying to win a tank from Seachem in a donation raffle in support for endangered Rhino I think it was. (y)

I had brought the Biube home from work for a clean. I have been using sponges under biomedia for 6 months kinda makeshift UG filter. It's working. Rinsed all the sponges and media. Very little odor. Snails have doing a bang up job. Going to leave the tank home and add a dwarf puff. IMG_9031.jpg

Taking the Baby Biorb to work. I had set it up similar but with sand. It's doing grand as well. I have removed the fish and taking some RCS to the office. They set a good example so hard working. IMG_9030.jpg

And I wanted to share this cool puffer art video. https://www.facebook.com/garytvcom/videos/1282291951826050/

Last edited:
You are going to love the pea puffer, T! They are so great.

I got some more Purigen, so now each tank has a pouch. I've been having fun searching for the otos.

I went to a new shop today. It seemed to specialize in decor and food. Lots of food and...
20170429_143738.jpg
Really neat rocks!

I also put some strawberry and tomato plants into the tanks just to see how that goes.

Can't wait to PUFF!

Oh and guess what ....

When I emptied the Baby Orb today and put the old water into Big Daddy Orb....there were Endler fry. Lol. I've seen 4 so far.

The 5 Endler parents are going bye bye but their offspring can hang out.IMG_9033.jpg

Last edited:
It seems I was 2 numbers off, missing out on a tank and a few numbers from the other one sad for me, ;).

But I am SUPER excited about substrate today.

Recall anyone the fiasco with mouldy smelling substrate???

Well in having a discussion with the guy from Caribsea, think Eco-Complete, showed me a few items they have and were very cool.

Previously we had a brief discussion here on AA about mycorrhiza, it is a fungus which is beneficial /symbiotic to agricultural plantings and crops used in soil or additive for roots of plants to make a more dense root system, and enabling a better absorption of nutrients in the substrate. It is called Flora-Spore Mycorrhizal Symbionts. Naturally. How fun to try that out.

CaribSea Indian Almond leaves, Jungle (large) leaf and Betta (small) Leaf packages.

So the Samurai Soil, is brand new, just out!!!

9LB jug of the stuff, very awesome gift. It is a fired type ball not at all mushy. Not a soil so there is a good and bad depending upon what you want out of your substrate. Firm and just what I think I wanted for the new PRL tank build. Soft substrate little ~2mm balls, mostly the same size.

Rachel o'leary did a talk with info about shrimp disease, and species, really interesting and useful for what to look for and listed a bunch of nano critters which can coexist with them. I am pretty darn excited about getting more shrimp.

We talked about the Tangerine Tigers, the PRL and the Green Babaulti shrimp. Happy dance. One thing I really always have loved about her care of the hobby is that she QT's and watch's the new arrivals, and usually doesn't sell them very quickly. Likes to sell her own home bred & raised shrimp and fish, that she really cares about the critters she keeps and sells. Though as a business she needs to make money, the money isn't the main objective, the critters are.

Shrimp are fascinating. So pleased I was able to have the experience!!!

Will be doing a review of the substrate. Soon.

Got the tanks some new plants going into a bath of Prime water.

Also saw a new product developed by Cobalt similarr to Purigen which can re recharged with salt concentrate, coming in a couple to few months.

The Discus is out and about a little more I thn is begging for food. Only gave her one cube last night which mostly the other fish eat.

Looks like the Angelfish in the 46G are trying to lay eggs again.

Last edited:
You are going to love the pea puffer, T! They are so great.

I got some more Purigen, so now each tank has a pouch. I've been having fun searching for the otos.

I went to a new shop today. It seemed to specialize in decor and food. Lots of food and...
View attachment 298681
Really neat rocks!

I also put some strawberry and tomato plants into the tanks just to see how that goes.

Great rocks assortment!

Autumnsky sounds like you had an awesome time even though you didn't get to do everything you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom