What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We replaced our fifth new rainbow. They had blackberry shrimp in the same tank, and I desperately tried to figure out where they could live in our current tanks. Not with pea puffers, not with kulis, and not in the Spec that's totally meant for ramshorns. They are pretty neat, though.

Yesterday did my PWC in the Biube, main tank and in the Big Daddy Orb. Spotted PLANARIA in Big Daddy. Not surprised since many of the plants added to the tank were from my nursery before I treated. Pulled all the snails out I could find and dosed with fenbendozole. Die planaria die.

I'gor is doing well. Eating like a pig and begs for food the moment he sees me.

Watching the main tank for any signs of illness since I pulled the two neons out last week.

We replaced our fifth new rainbow. They had blackberry shrimp in the same tank, and I desperately tried to figure out where they could live in our current tanks. Not with pea puffers, not with kulis, and not in the Spec that's totally meant for ramshorns. They are pretty neat, though.

Shrimp can live with RH.....

I have a planted vase with a plant rated bulb in a cool desk lamp and shrimp, with a couple RH - they seem pretty happy so far.

This is the dark Blue Velvets new home... The light gets the plants to produce the O2, right next to my chair and they are fun to watch.

60074-albums14675-picture71253.jpg

Yesterday did my PWC in the Biube, main tank and in the Big Daddy Orb. Spotted PLANARIA in Big Daddy. Not surprised since many of the plants added to the tank were from my nursery before I treated. Pulled all the snails out I could find and dosed with fenbendozole. Die planaria die.

I'gor is doing well. Eating like a pig and begs for food the moment he sees me.

Watching the main tank for any signs of illness since I pulled the two neons out last week.

Planaria - Curse you!

~~~~~
Watched Fire Shrimp and Pods scurry around the macroalgae tank.

Spend a half hour straightening cords and tubbing and matching up stuff that should go together in the storage closet. Have made good progress over the last couple months of taking it in tiny bits of cleaning up. some s just cleaning up the last mess I made but it adds up. Found a couple things I was either missing or forgot I had.

Then watched the bowl above with the DBV shrimp and snails.

Maybe heading out to pick up refill of 15G prepared SW ~hour drive there then also back. I used up the 10G SW I just got plus what I had still remaining from before and hate to not have any supply on hand.

Considering mixing my own need to dig out the RO unit fro storage and then test it and it just seems like a big project I don't want to do atm.

Pwc on the Tangerine Tiger Shrimp /Chilis tank and then the 12G Edge Nano fish tank. Ember Tetras are great color and the extra 3 Sundadanios I got were nice because the rest of them seem more colorful now.

More pwc and maybe a clean out of the canister filter (or tomorrow for that).

Picked up 15G of prepared SW from the lfs and these new inhabitants for the New SW 12G Nano

New Hector's Goby for nano tanks - Koumansetta hectori

60074-albums14674-picture71255.jpg

Was trying to get the pic of the mushroom when the new guy stopped in for the photo op.
60074-albums14674-picture71254.jpg

Scooped out a dead Cory and buried him in the garden. He hadn't looked well for a while, glad he's not suffering anymore. RIP little guy!

Added a timer to my circulation pump, vacuumed out the some fish waste, cleaned debris out of the AC 70, and added back the 25% of water that was removed while vacuuming. All in my 29 gallon

Yesterday cleaned out one of the drawers of the filing cabinet stand for the 6.6G. Also collected numerous empty and almost empty food bags and containers used a couple up and will be using them up in the next couple days.

Threw out old expired foods. Then went around to the cabinets and collected all the foods I don't use/or fish don't like and bagged them up for next month's CAS fish meeting mini auction.

Shopped around for tanks used and new. Waiting to hear back on one new in box tank on CL. Small spec. I need the transformer for the light for my SpecV, the replacement part is nearly the same cost after shipping. The tank would fit as a small pods/ macro algae under my 12g.

Going an hour drive today to pick up my Anemone shrimp and pom pom crab, if they don't sell them off first. No rock flowers anemones came in.

Last edited:
Actually got the SW 2 Pom Pom Crabs (tiny - both with 2 anemones) and 2 young (a M & F) Anemone Shrimp to go along wth the other 4.

As thought, no Rock Flower Anemones, though they had a bunch of new mini Carpet and a giant Carpet anemone.

Planning to order again at both stores, the same far away one and maybe the closer one can actually get something in. Not happened in nearly 2 years so I wouldnt be too hopeful.

The one Pom Crab was very defensive, made himself into a ball with the Anemones facing up, and the other very chill. They are so very small. Like between a pinkie nail and a top of the pink pencil eraser, not the add on one but the tiny pink cylinder part at the top of a new pencil.

They are they same variety as my last one, with the fine lines and features and a little brighter colors/contrast of pinkish and purpleish, which I like more than the other one which seems to have maroon purple lines more than the pink color.

They are not to be seen in the tank so far, since they are so small and so many places for such a tiny creature to hide. I will try to feed 2x per day and do 2 pwc or 3 per week to kinda help them get enough nutrients for growing. For a couple weeks at least so they can get settled in and find good feeding spots.

Watched the snails in the 6.6G Edge and took some pics of the fish and snails. Pwc for the shrimp bowls. Added evap water to all the tanks.

Never heard back from the fish tank person from CL. So might need to order the transformer for the Spec V. Maybe camping in the mountains, no internet service?!?! :lol:

Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks. After all that waiting, the actual set up went pretty quickly:

The ingredients:
35686365746_600fb4b69e_k.jpg

New toys are always fun. :dance:

Here's the unit set up:
35726381895_ac7230104e_k.jpg

Everything including the drop checker and bubble counter are from GLA, except for the bottle and the diffuser. The bottle was from Amazon and the diffuser was off-the-shelf at my LFS. The construction on the GLA regulator is really solid!

Finally, a bad shot of the diffuser in action:
35686367096_1d9cbd35e2_k.jpg

Beyond way too many platys (there are more) and that green spot algae on the plants, you can see the diffuser bubbling away. I have the counter set for 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds, which gives a nice, slow stream. I'll adjust as needed in the coming days. Fingers crossed this helps the plants beat back the algae.

Oh, and the fish enjoy chasing the bubbles, thinking it's food. :lol:

Speaking of adjusting, I wrote GLA this evening with some questions and had a reply within the hour -- on a holiday. That's good service. Anyway, given the diffuser I have, he told me I have my output pressure too high, hence the adjustments to be made tomorrow after I get home from work. (The gas had already shut off for the night.)

Guess I'm high tech, now. :cool:

On another front, I started water testing the spare 10g to hold platys again as a grow-out tank for my herd. I also decided to calibrate the Eheim Jager heater I had bought for it. The darned thing is roughly three degree out of whack: I set it to 79, I get 82. I can expect a little variance, but 3 degrees is a lot. :facepalm:

A shame I can't take it back to Petsmart, but I've had it too long.

Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks. After all that waiting, the actual set up went pretty quickly:

The ingredients:

35686365746_600fb4b69e_k.jpg

New toys are always fun. :dance:

Here's the unit set up:

35726381895_ac7230104e_k.jpg

Everything including the drop checker and bubble counter are from GLA, except for the bottle and the diffuser. The bottle was from Amazon and the diffuser was off-the-shelf at my LFS. The construction on the GLA regulator is really solid!

Finally, a bad shot of the diffuser in action:

35686367096_1d9cbd35e2_k.jpg

Beyond way too many platys (there are more) and that green spot algae on the plants, you can see the diffuser bubbling away. I have the counter set for 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds, which gives a nice, slow stream. I'll adjust as needed in the coming days. Fingers crossed this helps the plants beat back the algae.

Oh, and the fish enjoy chasing the bubbles, thinking it's food. :lol:

Speaking of adjusting, I wrote GLA this evening with some questions and had a reply within the hour -- on a holiday. That's good service. Anyway, given the diffuser I have, he told me I have my output pressure too high, hence the adjustments to be made tomorrow after I get home from work. (The gas had already shut off for the night.)

Guess I'm high tech, now. :cool:

On another front, I started water testing the spare 10g to hold platys again as a grow-out tank for my herd. I also decided to calibrate the Eheim Jager heater I had bought for it. The darned thing is roughly three degree out of whack: I set it to 79, I get 82. I can expect a little variance, but 3 degrees is a lot. :facepalm:

A shame I can't take it back to Petsmart, but I've had it too long.

Welcome to the dark side of the planted tank world! You won't regret it.

View attachment 300853

I'm not going to get over that zero nitrites sky blue.

I'm so jealous!!! In my old 10 gallon it was fine. Now that he's in a 55 the levels always hover just above.... maybe the bacteria needs more time, but I moved his entire filter and all his substrate and plants!

By the way, these are all the same, just diff lighting

17522523_10154802608631313_164729553_o.jpg

19749343_10154802608561313_99544698_o.jpg

19650031_10154802608541313_1667796629_o.jpg

I'm so jealous!!! In my old 10 gallon it was fine. Now that he's in a 55 the levels always hover just above.... maybe the bacteria needs more time, but I moved his entire filter and all his substrate and plants!

By the way, these are all the same, just diff lighting

View attachment 301141

View attachment 301142

View attachment 301143

In all the lighting, the NitrIte is lavender. Do a couple back to back pwc, or do a large one if you have been faithfully doing 20% or more pwc every week. (If not then do back to back 20-30%.

Nitrite will damage the internal organs of the fish and you might lose the fish weeks later. When the water parameters are fine.

~~~

Almost nothing done - long days for today and next couple days. Fed and checked the tanks. Fed beef heart.

Last night fed the new SW fish an algae sheet chunk. The clip fell off yet again over night. Fed the SW Dwarf Brittle Stars today in the 12G.

I keep seeing one Blue Velvet Shrimp lazy at the top of the bowl. Wondering if adding a little bubbler will make it happier. It seems plenty active after a pwc or just blowing bubbles into the container. The other 2 seem alright and normally active along with the 3 RH snails. Thinking of removing one more of the RH.

Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks...

Cool. Expect better plant growth.
I go to the same place for refills and average 3-4 trips per year ($15-20 total). Thinking about getting a second CO2 tank and keeping it around as a backup.
You will want to secure the tank/reg setup so that it does not tip over. You could use a heavy pail, low umbrella holder, or pipe fastener. I screwed a U-shaped metal bracket to the tank cabinet. I wrapped the bracket in black electrical tape so that it would not scratch the CO2 tank.
There should be a hydro test date at the top of the CO2 tank or stamped onto the body. Your CO2 tank should be certified/fine 5 years FROM that date. Not every employee at the place you listed might understand this and mistake it for the expiration date (got into an argument a few times over this during refills).

Cool. Expect better plant growth.

I'm hoping so. :cool:

I go to the same place for refills and average 3-4 trips per year ($15-20 total). Thinking about getting a second CO2 tank and keeping it around as a backup.

I bought two and had them filled so I have one ready to go when the other runs out.

You will want to secure the tank/reg setup so that it does not tip over. You could use a heavy pail, low umbrella holder, or pipe fastener. I screwed a U-shaped metal bracket to the tank cabinet. I wrapped the bracket in black electrical tape so that it would not scratch the CO2 tank.

Thanks for the tips. Living in earthquake country, I've been trying to think of ways to secure it. Can they rest on their side?

I've run into a bit of a problem (bubble rate keeps declining) that I've opened another thread about.

...Thanks for the tips. Living in earthquake country, I've been trying to think of ways to secure it. Can they rest on their side?

I've run into a bit of a problem (bubble rate keeps declining) that I've opened another thread about.

Nope, co2 tank must be upright.

Back
Top Bottom