What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just how big can a Malaysian Trumpet Snail grow?View attachment 307051
I have a big one about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 less large as yours and I thought it was a big one! Do you think it could be a Rabbit Snail/ though you grow pretty good snails?!!!?

Brought some recently purchased deceased fish in for store credit. Picked up some brine shrimp for the fish. Also got a 5g jug with RODI for top offs. Talked to random folks in the LFS about Planted tanks (I have no other outlet except for you guys).
lol, they probably don't either!

Nearly had a heart attack when my visiting dad came in an tried to wash off his lunch fork in my 5g bucket of fresh pwc water for my PRL shrimp. I told him to stay away from my bucket of water, we aren't out camping, we're in the house and get his fork away from there!!! Get away from the bucket!!! He said something to the effect of just wanting to get the food off. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Last edited:
I have a big one about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 less large as yours and I thought it was a big one! Do you think it could be a Rabbit Snail/ though you grow pretty good snails?!!!?

lol, they probably don't either!

Nearly had a heart attack when my visiting dad came in an tried to wash off his lunch fork in my 5g bucket of fresh pwc water for my PRL shrimp. I told him to stay away from my bucket of water, we aren't out camping, we're in the house and get his fork away from there!!! Get away from the bucket!!! He said something to the effect of just wanting to get the food off. Ahhhhhhhhh!

I wonder! I have no idea how to distinguish the species. Off to do some reading!

And your Dad...perfect opportunity for a head smack. What was he thinking. [emoji23]

Found a video. Pretty sure mine are MTS. The way the reproduce fast...
https://youtu.be/o60PTO1Asb8

Last edited:
Today decided to something brave or dumb (probably way more than one thing, lol).

I started to de-rim the Fluval Edge tank with the cracked top. Since an Edge has a silicone-d glass top panel I am not sure if that would be the exact term. With all the inhabitants still inside. So I don't have to mess up the tiny eco system.

The one sided razor blade worked pretty well on the cracked side and back seam silicone part where the pressure was loosened. The corners are another story. Very tight, seems like it is locked tight.

After the quick success of the cracked part I got a moment of slight terror when I was hearing the cracked chunk make slight cracking glass noise as I pried on it a tiny bit. Just for a second, I was thinking it could end up being a cracked panel which normally holds the water in and could have all my inhabitants and 6.6G of water on the floor.

I bee lined it for the utility closet for the 2 clean 5G buckets and 2 oversized floor towels... Then I had to leave unexpectedly... hmmmm.

More playing tomorrow. I have an additional spare Edge glass only tank which I could try to get the top off of. Previously I got a de-rimmed Edge glass only tank from a local guy but broke the top. It used to simply sit on top of the glass side panels. Interesting.

Since I still have not found the right tank it seemed to possibly be the better option. Maybe I should clean out the extra tank in case I break the one everything sits in now...

I will keep running the razor blade back and forth removing thin slices of silicone, maybe then it will magically come right off :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I am picking up my previous inhabitant Angelfish Reina (maybe now will call her the Angel of Death as she kills her Angelfish tank mates).

And the 16G bowfront I gave to my friend will come back home too.

Will be playing some musical tanks tomorrow!

Last edited:
Today decided to something brave or dumb (probably way more than one thing, lol).

I started to de-rim the Fluval Edge tank with the cracked top. Since an Edge has a silicone-d glass top panel I am not sure if that would be the exact term. With all the inhabitants still inside. So I don't have to mess up the tiny eco system.

The one sided razor blade worked pretty well on the cracked side and back seam silicone part where the pressure was loosened. The corners are another story. Very tight, seems like it is locked tight.

After the quick success of the cracked part I got a moment of slight terror when I was hearing the cracked chunk make slight cracking glass noise as I pried on it a tiny bit. Just for a second, I was thinking it could end up being a cracked panel which normally holds the water in and could have all my inhabitants and 6.6G of water on the floor.

I bee lined it for the utility closet for the 2 clean 5G buckets and 2 oversized floor towels... Then I had to leave unexpectedly... hmmmm.

More playing tomorrow. I have an additional spare Edge glass only tank which I could try to get the top off of. Previously I got a de-rimmed Edge glass only tank from a local guy but broke the top. It used to simply sit on top of the glass side panels. Interesting.

Since I still have not found the right tank it seemed to possibly be the better option. Maybe I should clean out the extra tank in case I break the one everything sits in now...

I will keep running the razor blade back and forth removing thin slices of silicone, maybe then it will magically come right off :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I am picking up my previous inhabitant Angelfish Reina (maybe now will call her the Angel of Death as she kills her Angelfish tank mates).

And the 16G bowfront I gave to my friend will come back home too.

Will be playing some musical tanks tomorrow!

We have another situation here. Because only a few people have fish, many aquariums are given away. (in the newspaper).
I got a 25 gallon from a old man..
I was sorry that an old aquarist is less again, but the pelvis is good.

If it works with my post,I give a pic later

Keeping Comets

Hello...

Working on my Comets' tank today. A very nice fish. Have some gold, silver and some of both colors with black markings on the fins. Fast growing and very hardy. Don't have to use heaters, or high end filters. These will live in cooler water, about 68 degrees and with large, weekly water changes, i can use simple, sponge filtration. Food is simple too. I just feed a variety of low phosphate flakes, freeze dried and some pellets and wafers.

Am setting up a 75 G tank for them and have some Anacharis and Hornwort growing in a 38 G. Lighting is a four bulb fixture from the hardware store I picked up on sale. Doubt the setup is more than $100.00. The floating plants love florescent lighting and the plants add to the fishes' diet.

I like easy.

B

Autumnsky please excuse me but I can’t resist...

You’re living on the Edge.

That was good for a morning chuckle! I had a squirrel on my porch - mines not trained me yet though. Time for musical fish today.

I thought of using some 1 or 2 inch duct tape around the top edge for stability. Will add that before more work on removing the top caulk.

Might also use a fresh blade on a box knife. So many choices in how to cause a fish tank disaster.

Woke up to find my angels nipping at a neon tetra. They have been guarding this place that they lay eggs on. I netted him out and placed him in a mug. He is upside down. I don't think he'll make it.
hlw38GyogonZnawXDw8A9fU1UqzFJx8hUu7HVCOcg07Zq4NGbi-Pk0Pn-HdnW30XySXZrzKRgj_KjFSTRR1ZsAjgeta6l0V2blHq4GKf4vFStNRTMGzyodSXwzj3PNBVQME637yli0JDijKaXs1av343v2dT_V1xKvMvDRHz81VkJNwnUix5CECntjfjMYC0DCUYguIsvtQrTxUWgb9kXcdwm8YnUt0m-Hi0Nufi0nq4f7n6ypiMhWQ8kgOAqL5c1XZBuiRRa8_WlWyV9UdI0gsu5Q_lTj7yrRp6H1Z3_i6Yn7zZM2J4ANGho766vem0Hl_LXYzh-n6PqpKaL7rYh4l9UFAuGj3A-W7JVcvCbKf7cLIeYzRQFoEbjXKNeNkCHN96NPdgcdIdR6DBlqU2554wyGpqtmQnqEjvbRz9Ae0vnqWrtnzd_w1_f25GMUzNrq46WeJ-h3Fmv2kMM7xNnWxbVDpapQsAPSMwYZ5a7xtmBjj1eTjHSoR2NzqE66D-AkG6uPgZ0bi2RSr0br_dUfocDiyvaf4OdE-O6fXfaZpdbu7pCKL-uWw4TK7qPfROzEc9V6cXb-GZyNJUhPxQhN3GmOgKoaRlQ8JTev0oBPxb4aD0JR_LjwnVWzFpKuaJanYG6nbZua5pCjnBTrGQTAB-ZFJeWzqa=w850-h637-no

Woke up to find my angels nipping at a neon tetra. They have been guarding this place that they lay eggs on. I netted him out and placed him in a mug. He is upside down. I don't think he'll make it.

hlw38GyogonZnawXDw8A9fU1UqzFJx8hUu7HVCOcg07Zq4NGbi-Pk0Pn-HdnW30XySXZrzKRgj_KjFSTRR1ZsAjgeta6l0V2blHq4GKf4vFStNRTMGzyodSXwzj3PNBVQME637yli0JDijKaXs1av343v2dT_V1xKvMvDRHz81VkJNwnUix5CECntjfjMYC0DCUYguIsvtQrTxUWgb9kXcdwm8YnUt0m-Hi0Nufi0nq4f7n6ypiMhWQ8kgOAqL5c1XZBuiRRa8_WlWyV9UdI0gsu5Q_lTj7yrRp6H1Z3_i6Yn7zZM2J4ANGho766vem0Hl_LXYzh-n6PqpKaL7rYh4l9UFAuGj3A-W7JVcvCbKf7cLIeYzRQFoEbjXKNeNkCHN96NPdgcdIdR6DBlqU2554wyGpqtmQnqEjvbRz9Ae0vnqWrtnzd_w1_f25GMUzNrq46WeJ-h3Fmv2kMM7xNnWxbVDpapQsAPSMwYZ5a7xtmBjj1eTjHSoR2NzqE66D-AkG6uPgZ0bi2RSr0br_dUfocDiyvaf4OdE-O6fXfaZpdbu7pCKL-uWw4TK7qPfROzEc9V6cXb-GZyNJUhPxQhN3GmOgKoaRlQ8JTev0oBPxb4aD0JR_LjwnVWzFpKuaJanYG6nbZua5pCjnBTrGQTAB-ZFJeWzqa=w850-h637-no

Aw that’s terrible! [emoji22]

They can be very fierce.

~~~~

The transfer of the Angelfish killer Angelfish I was supposed to get back did not happen, change of timing/plans - moving prepping is sometimes tough. Also the 16G bowfront will be at the same time, maybe next week.

Did pwc all around except the 72G.

Went to the SW lfs, got an extra 5G tote for SW and filled up 4 so it is 20G of SW expecting at some point will need some more, I had 3 extra empty 5G bottles for the water people to but didn't fill them. That was for the 16G tank that I didn't pick up. so I have one more week maybe 9 days to look for another tank for the combo SW nanos.

Moved 2 F Endlers from the 72G put them into the Turtle bowl with the males and moved 2 fish, a F and a fry - the only two I could catch. Considering on moving all the Endlers to the 5G Spec, or maybe an Edge tank, thinking it over. Would like to see them sparkly and swimming all around. Presently all DHG growing around like a grassy Jungle. Plus the other plants, mainly tons of shedding Riccia.

Opaline Gourami is now in the 72G, things seem peaceable enough at this time. It looks like the Angel in the 29G QT - previous companion of the Gourami is missing him. Keeps swimming around like looking for him.

Well, haven’t been doing anything with the tanks since we’ve been mostly holed up in the NICU with my son (!!!!) but yesterday, just as I was walking past the 45 gallon, I saw something new—a tiny tiny baby pleco! My three bristlenoses apparently decided that now, now that no maintenance has been done for... a month? Maybe more? But now was a good time to get it on. There’s at least 4 babies, but there’s so many plants in there I’m sure that’s only a small sample of them.

Well, haven’t been doing anything with the tanks since we’ve been mostly holed up in the NICU with my son (!!!!) but yesterday, just as I was walking past the 45 gallon, I saw something new—a tiny tiny baby pleco! My three bristlenoses apparently decided that now, now that no maintenance has been done for... a month? Maybe more? But now was a good time to get it on. There’s at least 4 babies, but there’s so many plants in there I’m sure that’s only a small sample of them.
I hope your son is doing better.

I'm rethinking my shrimp situation. I don't like how their water doesn't move.

BN love you to leave them alone, that is when I found my first batch.

Congrats for the new baby BN.

Best Wishes for your new little human baby's speedy and proper development.

Last edited:
Bought a tiny baby female betta a few days ago *she is so adorable* :flowers:
Did a water change on her 1 gallon tank. I made a cute filter for it. Finally got nitrAtes and 0 ammonia on my male betta's 10 gallon. It just dawned on me I can take some media from there and put it in baby's tank.(y)
My 30 gallon is showing no more signs of ich I vacuumed the gravel, keeping the temp hovering around 87F. Wonder how long I should keep it that high.

I have been very careful no to cross contaminate with the three tanks. Once the baby girl is big enough she is going in with the community 30 gallon.

Bought a tiny baby female betta a few days ago *she is so adorable* :flowers:
Did a water change on her 1 gallon tank. I made a cute filter for it. Finally got nitrAtes and 0 ammonia on my male betta's 10 gallon. It just dawned on me I can take some media from there and put it in baby's tank.(y)
My 30 gallon is showing no more signs of ich I vacuumed the gravel, keeping the temp hovering around 87F. Wonder how long I should keep it that high.

I have been very careful no to cross contaminate with the three tanks. Once the baby girl is big enough she is going in with the community 30 gallon.

Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

I would start at 7 days probably do 10, from the last spot you can see, then reduce the temp 2 degrees each day until the temp you want to stay at. The above says 2 weeks which would be alright too.

```````````````````````````````````````

Today found that there was a mini overflow problem on the Edge 12G PRL tank apparently the way I put in the mineral tile in the out flow of the HOB, was not only causing the water to splash louder than it should but was contributing to an over flow of drips causing a couple quarts of water to puddle on the flow over night. Because the filter needed a clean too I guess.

Moved the back column of the tank and cleaned all the filter parts and pre-filter sponge. It seems all day now that there is no further leaking. Pleasant good morning surprise :rolleyes:

Ended up removing additional duckweed in that tank and doing another 20% pwc.

Topped off all the rest of the tanks and a little more in the pond too.

During the snow day cleaning found my missing bottom intake for the new and set to go but never started AC 110 from back at Christmas. Never turned it on because of the missing part. So have to move a plug and start her up! It is just sitting there waiting! Still thinking about whether to change over the 72G to the 90G (sitting in the garage). With the 2 filters, FX-5 and the AC 110 It will be around 900GPH+ filtration. I just need to figure out how to run the extra FX-5 sitting in the utility closet to seed the media!!!

Thinking of doing a tank swap this next weekend, maybe. Maybe just getting it in the house and set up the wiring.

Still looking for the perfect SW used tank, still no luck!

Too icy and cold to be messing with the big tank this weekend.

Brought home 15 more $1. Neons from Pet**art big box. The employee there is really sweet, and said she has missed me visiting and thought I had dropped of the face of the earth!, lol. Told her that I didn't need any more fish, hahahaha!

That was all they had. Sale ends the 27th maybe. Neons lasted alright through the 2 night 5G bucket test with heater and air zero dead. Fed some dewormer this time to start them out.

We shall see how it progresses. Planning their filter clean and pwc this weekend. Lots of brown algae in the tank as there is a lot of light shining through the bare bottom of the tank 24 hrs a day from the SW macroalgae tank. Maybe a chunk of cardboard under it.

Still did not locate a new to me SW tank.

Tmaier posted a pic on another thread about shrimp and made me think of my first shrimp, a pair, here is one of them that lasted awhile, one did not last very long. Was a shrimp newb back in early 2012 It has been a long road. :angel:
60074-albums9764-picture36790.jpg

Good luck with those Neons! I haven’t lost any of the last 20 I got and still totally amazed. Hope my shrimp will be as pretty as your were.

Back
Top Bottom