what do they do with the fish afterwards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have seen posts about tanks and stuff in movies but nobody has ever asked the simple question of where does it go when the movie is over? and also who takes care of it while the movie is being shot? they obviously dont cycle there tanks because they wouldnt think that far ahead. and how many people on staff there really know what they are doing with these tanks. and why the hell do they almost always use goldfish!!! seriously there are huundreds of fish that are more attractive than goldfish but every time u see a tank in a movie or commerdial its like BAM goldfish. stupid people. sorry i have had it with these commercials and movie and had to vent.

My understanding is most movie and TV companies have 'pet' people that take care of and cordinate all the animals one sees on TV and in the movies. If an animal is rare or not 'in stock' so to speak in the compaines care they contract out with wild life refuge type places that train animals exclusivly for TV shows, comercials, movies and other such forms of media.

My guess for aquariums is they contract out an aquatic maintance firm to set something up on site and maintain it thru the shooting and when the shotting is over the firm comes and takes the stuff away.

There are companies that rent, set up, and maintain aquariums for restaurants and hotels. I bet the movie production crew/advert agency uses one of them. To them, the aquarium is really nothing more than a piece of high maintenance furniture. Since they're really not aquarists, the only fish they are likely familiar with are goldfish, so that's what they order. When a fish dies or there's an algae outbreak, the tank maintenance company swoops by to replace it or clean - that's why those ridiculously overstocked restaurant/hotel tanks look so good all the time. :?

Reading this reminds me of "Deuce Bigalow" .... when he uses that hanging machine and pulls that HUGE aquarium down!!! LOL ... not real funny, but I always wondered if that was for real!!

I've a friend that films movies and commercials. He told me that when shooting a scene with an aquarium, the fish (even SW), are merely thrown out with the trash. :( :x :x

ya see that it what i was thinking. i didnt think that they would waste there time actually returning the fish and i dont think that there would be a company that rents fish and tanks out because it would be to expensive to do and the producers would look for a cheaper alternative. that is where peta should be aiming instead of at all general aquarium owners

I'm honestly really surprised Brian. Maybe because the person I used to know did buisness in CA, but they told me there was a law that required someone on site any time an animal was being used in shooting that was responsible for ensuring no harm or mistreatment came to the animals... maybe just a CA law?

No way would this fly in California. There are far too many animal rights people here. People get up in arms here if someone shoots a mountain lion that mauled somebody. They also don't let oil companies drill off our coast due to concerns to the environment and the impact to sea life. There are also several Hollywood types that are way in to animal rights.

I could be wrong here but this is my $.02

Well Billy I'm sure that's the case where most animals are concerned. The problem is so few people consider fish to be animals in the same sense. I mean consider that are aren't laws against cruelty to flies and mosquitos (nor should there be). The line has been drawn and fish are on the unfortunate side.

My friend told me this a while back. He was doing a shot where they brought in spectacular SW fish (in his opinion). When the shot was over so were the lives of the fish. He was horrified and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom