What do we want to know about coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys I'm starting this thread now because in about a year I'm planning on studying coral reef ecology in Jamaica for three weeks in the winter. I apologize in advance for its length.

A little background on myself, I am a marine vertebrate biology major and a certified scuba diver. The study in Jamaica is run by my school and requires us to design an experiment out on the reef to study the ecology of the reef itself.
What I'm asking is, what do you guys want to know? Post some ideas here for things I should study. It doesn't need to be specific as I'm not looking for an actual clear cut experimental design. Just a hypothesis.

Requirements: it must be relatively simple as I'm only a student and won't have access to an unlimited amount of equipment. I'm assuming I can't remove or harm the coral so please no suggestions revolving around that.

After I complete my study I'll post my findings back on this thread, whatever they may be!

My goal is hopefully we can all, as aquarium enthusiasts, learn something interesting about corals and apply this knowledge to make our tanks all the more better! Thanks so much guys!

Ah man you are so lucky. I'm working on my BS in biology. I would love to do what you're going to do. As for ideas, you can browse scientific journals online and see what's been worked on, maybe pick up from there.

Ah man you are so lucky. I'm working on my BS in biology. I would love to do what you're going to do. As for ideas, you can browse scientific journals online and see what's been worked on, maybe pick up from there.

Good luck with everything and yes! Hopefully i can save up for it and have more diving equipment by december of next year and I'll be all set. I'll definitely look up some journals too in addition to questions posed by you guys!

How can communities protect and start structures for new reef to grow??

Yes. That was my thought. Are your looking for a more specific adea? I think education for people on laws to protect reef and collection would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom