What do you bring into the world of aquaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what backgrounds everyone else has for work or just general experience and what it brings to the table in the world of aquaria.

I personally deal with steam and hydronic applications, but it delves into cold water, circulators, liquid level controls, and almost anything related to controls processes.

All the pumps, heating, cooling, and level controls are things I deal with daily, and the same principles apply. Although they wouldn't be as pretty, I could build a CO2 pressurized dispersion system with the solenoids, valves, and gauges in my warehouse right now.

I just though it was going to be fish in a tank and that's it when I started this hobby. I get really excited when I see all the same applications in the world of aquaria.

What about the rest of you? Is your background also on the parts? Maybe it's the biology. How has life prepared you for fishkeeping?

You would be surprised how many things we get from pools/spas. UV sterilizers for example.

I dont work in the "water" industry....lol Im just a lowly network engineer/sys admin :(

I am currently in graduate school studying mechanical engineering, specializing in applied physics, lasers, and materials. Although nothing I deal with in my studies really relates to aquariums, I am a tinkerer and an engineer at heart so of course I had to modify, automate, and optimize my setup. Back in the day (hehe two years ago) I used to do a lot of work in a machine shop fabricating devices to use in my research. I did a lot of work with acrylics and aluminum. I also used to be very into RC helicopters and attempted making some of the parts from scratch. If there is one lesson that one can learn from trying to make something yourself its you can never make it as well and as cheaply as you could buy it. But don't let that stop you. Especially when there isn't something out there that fits your needs exactly.

BS in Psychology
Currently working on my MA in Organizational Leadership
I am an Operations Manager and Paramedic for an ambulance company.
My job has nothing to do with reef keeping...I guess that is why I love the hobby so much!

I started keeping fish when I was a kid, but got back into it in the last year and a half. I am a grad student in biological oceanography, I work in a lab that does a lot of seawater nutrient analysis, so I have a lot of experience there, as well as a free supply of bottles, balances, graduated cylinders and DI water!

Holy cow, you people are smart! I left school when I was 15 to make skids in a factory. Nobody stopped me and I didn't know any better. Got into Guitar as a way to use all that wasted creative energy. Played in bands for years, somehow stumbled into a plumbing apprenticeship along the way, got the licence, did that for 21 years. Today, I sell and repair guitars for a living, funny how you get drawn back to what you love.
I was always a science geek in school, loved plants and how they grew. Planted tanks have allowed me to explore a world I left long ago. I learn everything from trial and error, always have. I think I'm more determined than smart. I'll try stuff, screw it up, then keep at it till I fix it, then post the results. Hopefully we can all learn from my mistakes!

I am a High School Science teacher, my Licensure is Earth Science (rocks, weather, astronomy...) so if you have questions on what rocks are best for your tank i should be able to help you LOL. but i also have a strong interest in biology, so i enjoy creating ecosystems that are as "true to nature" as i can. lastly as a teacher i have a strong desire to share what i have learned with others :D

Back
Top Bottom