What do you do with a dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been wrapping dead fish in a paper towel and placing in the trash. I'd feel worse if I flushed it down the toilet. What do other people do with dead fish?

I haven't had one in a while (knock on wood) but I typically flush them. I suppose I'd put them in the trash if I was taking it outside right afterwards.

Some people say don't flush because fish parasites can spread to wherever your sewer drains into. Anybody know where sewer water really ends up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the size, and how long I have had it. If it's a tiny fish I'll flush it. (AFTER it's dead, not to kill it)

Larger fish, (I've really only lost the one, female Kenyi died from harassment) I buried it in the back yard at my daughters request.

What I prefer to do is take a newspaper and fold it into a little paper boat. Then I use melted wax to waterproof the bottom and sides and finally I put the deceased fish inside the boat. I then take the boat to a river near my house that flows into the ocean and place it into the current. As it floats away toward the salty sea I fire a tiny bow with flaming arrows at the boat until I hit it. Once it begins to burn I start playing the bagpipes the best that I can.

If I'm in a moderately lazy mood, however, I forego all of this and either flush 'em or throw them into the compost.

I flush them if they aren't too big. I think I might stay burying them near my ride bushes and trees though.

Back
Top Bottom