What do you guys think of AqAdvisor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your opinion on AqAdvisor?

• It's completely inaccurate and way off.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I think it's spot on!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It is just gives a basic understanding on how stocked your tank is.

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other- specify

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't live plants make a difference? Also, stocking the various levels in the tank? I have 2 balas and 2 plecos and that's too many due to their eventual size, they were rescues. I have in a 55g with an AquaClear 500. I do 30-50% PWC's per week:
4 barbs (2 gold or rosy and 2 odessas)
2 balas
2 plecos
1 cory
2 danios
I want to add:
16 cardinals
5 more cories
5 amano shrimp
either 3 swords or 3 mollies
4 more odessa barbs
AqAdvisor told me that I'm already under filtered.
Is this too many?

Personally, I wouldn't add anything until you re-home the Balas... they'll get up to 16 inches and adding more fish just isn't go to help. Also, Plecos are really messy and create a lot of waste... so perhaps that's where AqAdvisor is saying you are under filtered. Personally, I think you have enough filtration.

My tank is going to be stocked 106%... is that too much?

Wow, I'd say that's just a bit overstocked! ;)
Good luck! I hope the pet store does take them.

Hey guys,

Good discussion so far. I had a few points to make:

Firstly, YES, live plants do make a difference! And I considered sending a message to AqAdvisor (the creator is actually a member here, and many other aquarium forums) asking for a "live plants" option, then I stopped to think about it...

Live plants DO ease off bioload, no question. How much? Well, that depends on what kind of plants, how many plants, lighting (Wattage? T12? T8? T5? Regular, or HO? Color spectrum, PAR, and age of the bulbs?), fertilization (PPS-Pro? EI? Flourish Instructions? None?), and CO2 supplementation (PPM? Diffusion Method?). For a precisely calculated system like AqAdvisor, there is no way to factor in all those variables, and still be confident in the result. If I owned AqAdvisor, I'd pull my hair out at the thought :lol:

Secondly: From a previous discussion the consensus seemed to be that AqAdvisor was a little bit conservative. Indeed, the creator weighed in and said:

yhbae said:
I believe that a "working stocking level" is a range. I've seen people who will maintain tanks for years at 200% without issues but they do their share of tank maintenance and also make sure aggression issues are properly handled. AqAdvisor is a tool for beginners hence I don't suggest them to stock them up to 200%. But I'm sure advanced keepers can go well beyond 100% without issues.

Honestly, although many criticize tools like AqAdvisor (with valid criticisms) it is, in my opinion, a solid place to put your ideas down and get a non-biased opinion. Nothing can replace the advice given by experienced fish keepers. However, I have used it many times, not to decide my stock or filtration levels, but as a tool to help me visualize my aquarium.

For what it's worth, my aquarium is stocked 120% according to AqAdvisor. However, I change 50% water weekly, clean my filters, and vacuum my gravel regularly. I also have live plants. My fish are happy and healthy. And, for what it's worth, AqAdvisor doesn't give me any warnings aside from recommending more filtration.

I would really recommend reading that thread - I started it :p and I really do feel that the conversation hit on many similar points, and some others as well.

Finally, although you aren't asking for advice here, I'm nosy and bossy ;) so I must say, that one 5g water change is better than five 1g water changes! Do less water changes, and bigger ones, and I promise your water quality will go up. It's MATH (tm).

Last edited:
taylorodw: Good post! Very fair and thorough.
One question though; if you change larger quantities of water less frequently, aren't you changing the water parameters too greatly per PWC?

:D Thanks.

Well, if you let nitrates, TDS (total dissolved solids), hormones, and other nasties build up over a long period, then do a massive water change, yes, it will shock the fish from changing parameters too quickly.

But, I know Mandy would never do that :lol: what I meant was that one 5g change per week is better than five 1g changes per week.

Here's the math:
We start with 20 gallons, and 20ppm each ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. No tank would ever have those parameters, but it's easy to use as an example :lol:

Okay. So, a 5gal change would make the new parameters 15 ppm ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

A 1 gal change would make the params 19, 19, 19. A second 1 gal change makes it 19.05, 19.05, 19.05. A third 1 gal change makes it 18.0975 ppm. Anyway, by the time you're done... the tank is actually around 16ppm, instead of 15!

Hope that helps explain.

Taylor: Thanks for the advice! I'm sorry, perhaps I'm just spacing out, but when did I say that I do 5 1g water changes a week? Haha maybe I did but I can't remember.

Im 600% overstocked in my 210, but when I did it I was only able to input 1 filter.

yeah, not really, only 22 large fish the rest are small. but there is a 300gph wet/dry, 300gph eheim pro 3 2080 and a magnum 350 not to mention heavily planted.

that and having media choice rather then prepackaged. I use those things as a reference point thats about it.

Ill check on the algae, ive had tons of different kinds.

You didn't Mandy, and I didn't mean to imply that - it just made the math easier. However, what I was referencing was this:

I do 1-3 water changes a week.

Does anyone think 2-3 water changes a week will be enough? I can even easily do 3-4, I just didn't think that was necessary.

I only change about 1g or so of my water. I should probably do more, now that I think about it. o_O

If you do three 1g water changes each week, you could improve water quality by doing one 3g water change. That's all I meant. :)

Wow, I'd say that's just a bit overstocked! ;)
Good luck! I hope the pet store does take them.

I called them Sunday and they said they would take them as long as their adoption tank was empty at the time. I think I'm gonna give up my plecos, too. :( My son isn't happy about that either. Maybe I'll get some otos. I know I need some top dwellers. (And more lighting, and more plants, and more ferts....It never ends.)

Labor of love. :kiss:

Back
Top Bottom