Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Your opinion on AqAdvisor?
It's completely inaccurate and way off. 4 22.22%
I think it's spot on! 1 5.56%
It is just gives a basic understanding on how stocked your tank is. 11 61.11%
Other- specify 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question What do you guys think of AqAdvisor?

You've probably heard of the "Intelligent Stocking Calculator" that AqAdvisor provides.

What is everyone's opinion on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor ?

•How accurate do you think it is?
Sometimes they tell me I need WAY more filtration capacity- but I mean come on, a 30g filter on a 20g tank is plenty. So when it comes to that, they are pretty off.
•However, on their stocking percentages, how accurate do YOU think they are?

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's a fairly good way to start out, but I would say that stocking really depends on the bioload that your tank can handle, and not what the aqadvisor says.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right, but what if AqAdvisor also calculates the bioload your tank can handle based on the filtration and fish type when giving you the percentage of your tank?
AqAdvisor says my 20g tank is stocked 116%:
6 male Guppies
6-7 Neon Tetra
3 Platies
4 Julii Cories

What do you think about that?
I have a 10-30g filter.
I do 1-3 water changes a week.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am the number one worst person to ask about stocking LOL. I put fish in my tanks until my readings are 0, 0, 5.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha, okay. Perhaps someone else can offer advice on that subject?

It's not like they would be crowded swimming space wise, they have PLENTY of room. (My tank looks empty!) I am only concerned with the bioload... Does anyone think 2-3 water changes a week will be enough? I can even easily do 3-4, I just didn't think that was necessary.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

One thing to keep in mind is that the filter manufacturers state that their filters can handle (using your filter as an example) 30g tank. So you think "ok, it handles 30g and I'm putting it on a 20g, no problem". When in actuality that filter might just push the 20g. Manufacturers rate their filters for higher than what they really do.

Another example. I have a Fluval 404 on my 80g tank. The 404 is supposed to be rated for up to 100g. It barely handles my 80g. I have to clean the tank and filter once a week. Don't get me wrong, I love the filter, but because of my bio-load, it can't keep up. See where I'm coming from?

So to boil it down, if you have better filtration and keep up on a good cleaning schedule you can in essence over fill your tank. Now, one thing to keep in mind is growth. If your fish are full grown then back to making sure you keep the tank clean. 3-4 water changes a week is too much in my opinion. Get a better filter, let it get seeded before taking off the old one (or just run 2) add a fish, test your tank, PWC if needed. Repeat.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Oh, and don't go completely nuts and add 100 fish. Keep it reasonable

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um, alright.
Yeah, I understand and I'm not going to go out and add 100 fish to the tank, lol.
I was just making sure that it would be okay to add 2-3 Platies and 1 Neon to my setup. Why is 3-4 water changes too often? I may have forgotten to mention that I only change about 1g or so of my water. I should probably do more, now that I think about it. O.o

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
mandy, i had the same mindset as you LOL, my tank looked sooooo dead with just my julii and pleco, i than tried experimenting with rainbows, rams and a gourami, im still experimenting =]

as for your filtration, i had a BN pleco so i knew a AC30 wouldnt be enough, so i bought a AC50 as well, now i have both in there and my filtration is great

if you want to add more fish, maybe think about getting another filter??? it would not be a bad thing to add another one, just to be safe =] even another AC30 would be good
Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I chose other though I'm 99% in agreement with "it just gives...".

There are far too many variables for any software to contend with for it to be "spot on". I've never personally used it, but I'd only suggest using it as a jump off point into actual research about the fish you plan to keep.

Dragonfish's points are totally accurate. Even GPH is a guess as to how much it will handle. All guesses are based without knowing the actual flow rates, distribution of media, cleanliness, etc. So it comes down to speculation & actual experience. Two things yet to be programmable.

Tags
aqadvisor, aqadvisor.com

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com