Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
In the process of it, im thinking about do it from home and selling online first to generate income amd get known then open up shop. The prices here in Orlando are ridiculusly high unless youre in the ghetto. I want to have things that no one else has as far as plants and fish at a reasonable price, with a knowlagable and friendly staff......and definitly a wow factor as soon as someone walks in.

RUBE31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Don't underestimate Craigslist and other services. Or on demand suppliers. And good luck on this!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thanks all!

-- Rob
-- Always searching...
Ashenwelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I have wondered on this although setting up a shop isn't something I could see myself doing due to all the competition out there. I try to get to one lfs that just has great stocking and service - perhaps a little more high end.

I gather that growing plants at home and potting up trimmings for shop is often done. Some definitely as emersed - would be interesting to see a setup where plants are mainly grown for profit.

I agree that any dead fish should be removed promptly and I appreciate seeing a QT sign. Seeing a dead fish is just about a walk out signal for me as I'm wary on the rest of the tank even if just an acclimatisation problem for new stock.

Cichlids have apparently slowed down here, probably due to all the job cuts rather than going out of fashion. Shrimp are very big lately.
Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by RUBE31 View Post
Thanks for the feed back so far guys. Im debating on weather or not I should open up an LFS in my area and I want different points of view and insight from as many people as possible. If I do open up shop, I definitely want different hard to find fish and plants.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I strongly suggest that if you have never worked in a LFS, you don't open up one until you have. Being a veteran of the pet "Business" I can tell you that there is huge difference between the hobby end and the pro end. Take a job, part time if you must, at a store just to see what it is like. You might find that it's not your cup of tea and remaining on the outside might suit you better. You might find that you love it and you will have made some connections during your job that will help you when setting your own place up.
Most hobbyists I have watched get into the business over the past 40+ years don't make it because they forget, it's a business and not a hobby. I do know of others who are still in the business after 30, 40 or more years because they understood that difference.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need some "local(ish) help"

Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com