Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

On a new setup, I check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, KH, and GH pretty regularly. Once it is full of plants, I will check several times after the first few doses to make sure I am getting the Fe and PO4 doses correct, and adjust accordingly.

Once the ferts are on track and the tank is established, I don't really test for anything (except continuously checking CO2 using a drop checker, and a PO4 test once every 6 weeks or so) unless I think something is wrong.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Once a week

Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just do 15-20% water change once a week and test it then. There are some times though when I don't use the test kit at all. If you do regular water changes, a test kit is not necessary.

It does however come in handy when something does go wrong and you need to look for the test kit for confirmation. I pretty much know what my water parameters are going to be each week so testing is redundant. Water change fixes most things.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking View Post
I just do 15-20% water change once a week and test it then. There are some times though when I don't use the test kit at all. If you do regular water changes, a test kit is not necessary.
I disagree with that statement, especially for a beginner fishkeeper. PWCs will help with nutrient export, but a test kit is a very important part of responsible fish keeping.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is cycled and I test water every two weeks or so. I think its just a habit.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking View Post

It does however come in handy when something does go wrong and you need to look for the test kit for confirmation. I pretty much know what my water parameters are going to be each week so testing is redundant. Water change fixes most things.
Maybe Plecoking means that when a normal pwc happens, there could be confidence in not bothering with a check??

I wouldn't have that confidence, but then I am a "newbie"
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I agree that with time and experience comes a little more of a "feeling" when everything is going fine. I would suggest anyone new to the hobby test their tank a least a few times a month, and almost daily when cycling.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #18

I test once a week before my water change. I test ammo nitrites and nitrates. I look at the temp everyday and I fo a head count in my tanks everyday.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

So are you claiming that ammonia and nitrite are not harmful to fish then? If not then I certainly don't see how putting a fish through harm is more humane than not?

Just curious as to whether you really believe that or you're just trying to get a response.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I check temp everyday and do a daily head count. I rarely test anything else unless something is wrong or I'm expecting a mini-cycle. Occasionally test nitrate just to make sure I'm keeping up with the necessary water changes.

Tags
test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com