What do you test for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EGMono

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you test your aquarium water for on a daily, weekly, monthly or other interval? Anything from temperature and pH to whatever else you might check.

i don't test for anything unless the tank is relatively new, or if the fish are having any sort of issue. I have thermometers in my heated tanks, and I do eyeball those while I'm feeding, or i just go by what the water feels like.

I Test water parameters weekly on cycled tanks, daily on uncycled, and I test when theres a problem. temperature is every day.

I test my 10g cylced tank twice a week just to keep an eye on it and do a 50% PWC once a week.

My new 20g Long is tested everyday. I has just been cycled and has 3 Swordtails for the second day.

I test for pH, Ammonia, NO2, & NO3. Once a month, for reference, I test kH and gH, P, & K.

All of my tanks are cycled so I only check ammonia and nitrite rarely or if there are signs of stress/illness (luckily never had to do it for either of those reasons). If the tank is uncycled probably once a day. Nitrates are checked once every week to 10 days. I have never tested pH or hardness. Temperature is a couple of times every day.

I haven't touched my API kit in over six months, only thing I do is a head count and a temp check daily.

Last edited:
I test my nitrate, phosphate in my 10 gallon planted! To keep everything in balance! Otherwise! Just temp!! As I'm confident that everything else is stable!

I test daily for everything..
I have a SMALL tank, and have had problems..
I am also new to this hobby. (7mths.x)

On a new setup, I check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, KH, and GH pretty regularly. Once it is full of plants, I will check several times after the first few doses to make sure I am getting the Fe and PO4 doses correct, and adjust accordingly.

Once the ferts are on track and the tank is established, I don't really test for anything (except continuously checking CO2 using a drop checker, and a PO4 test once every 6 weeks or so) unless I think something is wrong.

I just do 15-20% water change once a week and test it then. There are some times though when I don't use the test kit at all. If you do regular water changes, a test kit is not necessary.

It does however come in handy when something does go wrong and you need to look for the test kit for confirmation. I pretty much know what my water parameters are going to be each week so testing is redundant. Water change fixes most things.

I just do 15-20% water change once a week and test it then. There are some times though when I don't use the test kit at all. If you do regular water changes, a test kit is not necessary.

I disagree with that statement, especially for a beginner fishkeeper. PWCs will help with nutrient export, but a test kit is a very important part of responsible fish keeping.

It does however come in handy when something does go wrong and you need to look for the test kit for confirmation. I pretty much know what my water parameters are going to be each week so testing is redundant. Water change fixes most things.

Maybe Plecoking means that when a normal pwc happens, there could be confidence in not bothering with a check??:angel:

I wouldn't have that confidence, but then I am a "newbie"

Last edited:
I agree that with time and experience comes a little more of a "feeling" when everything is going fine. I would suggest anyone new to the hobby test their tank a least a few times a month, and almost daily when cycling.

I test once a week before my water change. I test ammo nitrites and nitrates. I look at the temp everyday and I fo a head count in my tanks everyday.

So are you claiming that ammonia and nitrite are not harmful to fish then? If not then I certainly don't see how putting a fish through harm is more humane than not?

Just curious as to whether you really believe that or you're just trying to get a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I check temp everyday and do a daily head count. I rarely test anything else unless something is wrong or I'm expecting a mini-cycle. Occasionally test nitrate just to make sure I'm keeping up with the necessary water changes.

Back
Top Bottom