Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to hemmer Send a message via Yahoo to hemmer
Originally Posted by ryanp
Hemmer- You're in Iowa too?! That's cool.

This thread is kind of fun. I'm currently a college student studying mechanical engineering, but will be graduating in May. I'll be going to work for Lockheed Martin Space Systems doing nondestructive testing. I still need to figure out how I'm going to transport my 55g + fish from Iowa to Colorado.
ya im right outside of des moines. where in iowa are you at??
and id love to move to colorado and live out by the mountains, either that or minnesota. hmmmmmmm great snowboardiing and fishing places. dont worry i catch and release! lol.

hemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is fun. I'm a University (geography) student and I work in aviation at a flight training unit (also working on commercial pilot's license).

shayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
shay, I always told myself one day I wanted to be a commercial airline pilot (I have a family friend who is one now). Is that really detailed and extensive and hard as heck to get into? I basically heard that it takes years and years and years of training to get to fly your first plane.

bs, I know a lot of kids in pharmacy school. All I gotta say is good luck. I could never do it... Me and Organic Chemistry do NOT get along at all.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
I work in the family business Nashville Wraps Website we are one of the nations largest suppliers of packaging products and things like ribbon, tissue, giftpaper, etc. So needless to say we just had the biggest part of the season

I also day trade and am a fan of small, local businesses that I have a few investments in

And, I sell rocks. Seriously.

Ok, so I don't sell rocks, but I think whoever came up with bottled water is probably as rich as Bill Gates by now.
jamesrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Fun Thread...
I am a Stay at home mom, a web master for several local businesses, which brings me some spending cash which is currently all going towards planted tank stuff...lol.

I also do freelance writing, and turn home vidoeos and photo albums into amazing movies with meaningful soundtracks. This is actually getting bigger than my web business....who knew a fun hobby could do that!? So I guess I have to update my own site now...lol.

I could do more but you can only squeeze in so much after the kids arein bed and still make time for sleep! Being a Gemini I get bored easily so I have tried a ton of different carreers in the past....accountant, admin assistant, hr administrator, billing clerk, receptionist, collections rep, dreaded telemarketer for one of those long distance companies...lol that one lasted about a week and a half! lol

The ones that keep me interested the longest are the ones that let me use my artistic skills and creative desires to excel. That is why I do so much better as my OWN boss...lol.

Of course I will have three very demanding bosses for the next 18 years I am sure (their names are Nathan 7, Michael 3, and Alexis almost 2... hee hee)
happygirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dturtles: it is true. Usually the limiting factor for most people is cost. It is pretty easy to run up some very significant debt in a very short time during training. Then you don't make any decent money until you have SEVERAL years of experience. The bottom line is that the industry is very turbulent (bad pun) and competitive. Here in Canada it is only this year that has finally seen some recovery since 9/11. There were very few jobs and poorly paid pilots for a long time. But, for those who really want it, and stick with it there are amazing opportunities. If you are interested, PM me, I would be happy to tell you all I know.
shayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll give this a shot.

I'm a cell and molecular biologist working in R&D for a large biopharm company on the east coast. My current job deals with a lot of troubleshooting, which helps in the discussions (and arguments ) I tend to get involved in the FW section of the site.

I have to stay kind of vague with my work. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...........with boredom!

I dabble in cars and electronics and have a 6-month old, so work and hobby have taken a backseat. Daughter's my avatar....
Main (20g) - A throng of guppy and platy, Pressurized CO2, Ferts, All Live Plants (Very old pic, new one forthcoming)
7Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Cool jobs out there!!

Mine sucks, but it's work. I'm an Administrative Assistant for my area's Metropolitan Planning Organization or 'MPO'. We are a federally mandated agency (for areas with populations in excess of 50,000) that works with the state and federal transportation departments in keeping all the transporation plans, both short range and long range. It is through us that roads get planned and funded. We also keep track of maps and GIS info through TransCAD and ArcView and we keep traffic counts for all the areas of the MPO and the travel demand model for forcasting traffic.

I started college as a pharmacy major. I SO hear ya on that Organic Chemistry issue....I never did pass it myself (took it twice). I kinda got burnt out on school and quit. My biggest regret. One day, I would like to go back and get my Med Tech degree (what I changed to before quitting) or a degree in clinical or forensic psychology.
"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm a Business Application Developer for Blue Cross and Blue Shield. For the past 5 years I have been here as a Visual Basic Client/Server developer, but now am a Java/Web developer working on a multi-billion dollar re-write of the application I used to support.
75 Gallon High-Tech Planted Community
3.5 WPG using T8's
Fluorite w/sand mix
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently in college for GIS/tourism geography.

Working part time at a petco...constantly lecturing. But making a difference i hope.

hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com