Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

It's honor but like meegosh stated its not all glamour. You have to sometime be the bad guy and enforce rules. There's a way to go about it. You can have a certain manner and make your point.

You have to have it in you I believe. Speaking only my forums. There are mods that shouldn't even be members and offer nothing but headaches so to me a mod status shouldn't go to the head and just ruin the person.

You can be a mod and still be a nice person. You should never be made afraid to go to a mod for anything you feel strongly about and on the other side you should respect the moderators and understand they have a job to do as well.

The Con
Yeah, I do agree. Luckily on this site I've only ever came into contact with nice people and no one nasty. But yet again I haven't met everyone on the site. The mods on this site were very welcoming and always offer good advice. I have witnessed on other sites where members rip each other to shreds and when someone asked for advice on something another member just went 'don't want to waste my time answering you questions' how rude!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah we don't like "flaming" here or "e bashing" instead there are no stupid questions. Ask away and someone will help I not everyone. Rather then bash away like other forums we try and let the OP understand why is we are offering advice and or opinions that may seem way out here to the OP.

Take the time to make them understand and where your coming from goes a long way.

Anyone can say "that won't work!! Your doomed good luck" or "what are you crazy doing that?!? Stupid move IMO" or other flame comments.

Comments that hold to weight should be left on the floor.

That's one of many reasons I like this forum. It's more of a family then a forum. I've met some great people from all over both guys and girls. Exchanged numbers and emails. You find out you have a lot in common and you start to know each other on a first name basis which is wonderful I think.

A lot of forums are just forums straight and forward not much else going on.

AA is a warm inviting family with very knowledgable members who are always willing to go above and beyond to help out. I've had conversations for hours with some members about issues with my tank and then ya talk about family and what not.

I'll stop rambling now.

Bottom line is AA is a different kind of forum and I hope it stays that way.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would like to add too that you do not need to be a United States citizen to be a mod on the site. We have site team members from Canada and Australia as well as the US.
If anyone is curious you can find all of the site team members listed at the following link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showgroups.php
Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

No it isn't glamorous, we don't get paid, or perks. We are the bad guys, the good guys and everything in-between. We have good days and bad. We can be nice or snarky (ahem) depending on how we're approached. We do what we can when we can. We can't see everything so we depend on the good people of the site to let us know when there is a real problem. We deal with insults directed at ourselves and at others. We get called every name in the book. We all have knowledge in different areas and try to help where we know we will be able too, even when folks reply that we haven't got a clue.

We are humans.

We do it because we want to help keep this site going on solid ground and friendly.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I love this forum because with have sections like the waterhole or aquaria off topic where you can post stuff completely irrelevant to fish keeping. And we do stuff like fantasy football. It more than just a forum , it's another family!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Darn! I kind of liked that have to love in American requirement fort, why did you have to go and ruin it for me?

Being a mod also takes the wisdom to know that you don't know it all, and you probably never will. And once in a great while, you can even be wrong .

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
Darn! I kind of liked that have to love in American requirement fort, why did you have to go and ruin it for me?

Being a mod also takes the wisdom to know that you don't know it all, and you probably never will. And once in a great while, you can even be wrong .
Now that's a worthy mod! That's exactly the right attitude all mods should have.

Props to you my friend! Wait... Can mods be my friend? lol...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Now that's a worthy mod! That's exactly the right attitude all mods should have.

I think you have to sign some papers

A mod also has to be someone who listens and responds to problems/complaints! If i ask a mod somthing, and they dont respond, i feel thats sorta rude. However, if the mod responds until you are satisfied with the answers you have been given, thats what it takes.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh yeah Aussie Mods haha
I think we need another haha :P
Im not hinting at anything... O.o

Jason's Profile Page
Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

LOL, friendship is sometimes a boon and sometimes a curse. I would think that being friends with a mod could be that way sometimes.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com