Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does it take to be a moderator?

Hi people, I was asking this question generally because I was wondering what you have to do to become a moderator? Do you have to pay? What do you have to do? Do you have to love in America ? Please can a moderator help me or anyone who knows please reply. Thank you.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im pretty sure other mods choose them and I think its free.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

From my understanding you have to know the rules, be knowedgable, and be on AA alot to make sure others are following the rules
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nunu are you a mod?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter
Nunu are you a mod?
Haha no im not. If you want to become a mod you should contact one and ask them.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll pm severum mumma and ask her. Is it easy to become a mod?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

There is no real requirements to become a mod. I was chosen a while back because I was a regular on here and obeyed the rules. I'm not an expert on any topic really, just basic general knowledge about fish keeping.

If you want to become a mod, play nice and just keep spreading the knowledge around. You'll be noticed.

You don't have to pay to become one. On the other side, you don't get paid to be one either.

Edit: May I ask why you want to be a mod? It isn't as glamorous as some would think. You have to watch spammers, be the "bad" guy and enforce the rules, etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hi people, I was asking this question generally because I was wondering what you have to do to become a moderator? Do you have to pay? What do you have to do? Do you have to love in America ? Please can a moderator help me or anyone who knows please reply. Thank you.
To become a mod you must be knowledgable in areas of fish keeping but not every area there can be a mod for certain areas like one may be better served in the Cichlid section and another in the saltwater section. All mods must know all forum rules and enforce them and also be ready for PM's from members asking for help or maybe issues there having with another member, you know a e-bully.

A mod is someone who should be understanding of the individuality of each member and be aware that not everyone takes things the same way. They must like I said enforce the rules but in doing so can explain why something is being done or offer the OP the chance to explain in a PM.

Becoming a mod is a great honor and responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's not easy because you have people from all walks of life in the forum family. So you need to have some compassion.

I mod in several forums and can only answer for my sites. There's an area for mods. You talk about issues and certain members that stand out for helping others. It's usually discussed there who the new mods will be and then those members will be asked if there interested. That's how it went for me on other sites. One time I received a ADMIN email about becoming a mod.

Also being a mod doesn't give you the right to be a bully or act in a manner that is unprofessional or disrespectful to any member. It's a high standard to uphold and a mod should be aware of that.

That's my 2 cents for what it worth.

The forum I mod aren't fish forums although maybe one day that will change.

Edit;

Also a mod must have the time and dedication to put into the forum and be available if needed. They must monitor areas for problems and correct them. I enjoy being a mod and a admin on another forum. I like I help people and listen to issues, bringing them back to other mods and then talking about a good resolution to the issue in hand.

That's all...

The Con

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you guys! Yeah I would like to know what it takes to become a mod just incase that I ever want to be a mod lol. It sounds like a great honour from what I've heard!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thank you guys! Yeah I would like to know what it takes to become a mod just incase that I ever want to be a mod lol. It sounds like a great honour from what I've heard!
It's honor but like meegosh stated its not all glamour. You have to sometime be the bad guy and enforce rules. There's a way to go about it. You can have a certain manner and make your point.

You have to have it in you I believe. Speaking only my forums. There are mods that shouldn't even be members and offer nothing but headaches so to me a mod status shouldn't go to the head and just ruin the person.

You can be a mod and still be a nice person. You should never be made afraid to go to a mod for anything you feel strongly about and on the other side you should respect the moderators and understand they have a job to do as well.

The Con

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com