Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
What filter to get?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a canister filter for my new 55 gallon tank. I want a filter that is meant for aquariums around 100 gallons. I'm looking at the fluval 406 and the Marineland PC-ml160 Multi-stage Canister Filter. I am open to any other suggestions for canister filters. Does anybody have any advice on the fluval or marineland?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the Eheim 2213 on my 15g and love it. I bought the 2217 for the 55g, but the tank's not set up so I can't give you my impressions of it on a big tank. I do know that the 2213 is very easy to clean, flexible when it comes to media and does a very good job. I just did a w/c after rearranging everything and the tank was clear within 15 minutes.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankelephant View Post
I have the Eheim 2213 on my 15g and love it. I bought the 2217 for the 55g, but the tank's not set up so I can't give you my impressions of it on a big tank. I do know that the 2213 is very easy to clean, flexible when it comes to media and does a very good job. I just did a w/c after rearranging everything and the tank was clear within 15 minutes.
Wow
I heard about that eheim and it had pretty good reviews. Does it come with media, media tray, hoses, spray bar, etc?

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yup. There aren't separators for the loose media, but knee-high stockings are perfect for that; you don't even have to tie them. The description seem to be pretty vague, but this DOES include all the hoses, all the media and two double connectors. Also, the product name is different from Eheim (see pic). The tubing is two different sizes, one for in, one for out. The sizes are weird, but if you're looking for accessories on Amazon or something, the larger is called 594 and the smaller is called 494.

Aquarium Filters: Eheim Classic Canister Series 2213, 2215, and 2217
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	175329   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	175330  

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankelephant View Post
Yup. There aren't separators for the loose media, but knee-high stockings are perfect for that; you don't even have to tie them. The description seem to be pretty vague, but this DOES include all the hoses, all the media and two double connectors. Also, the product name is different from Eheim (see pic). The tubing is two different sizes, one for in, one for out. The sizes are weird, but if you're looking for accessories on Amazon or something, the larger is called 594 and the smaller is called 494.

Aquarium Filters: Eheim Classic Canister Series 2213, 2215, and 2217
Oh. So there is an exit way at the bottom! I didn't see that in the amazon pic. That makes a lot more sense now. I thought there was one way in/out. Lol

Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually, with eheim filters the water comes in at the bottom and out at the top.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Actually, with eheim filters the water comes in at the bottom and out at the top.
Really! Wow.. Lol
I thought it would be like a drip tower thing. Cool.
So it goes from bottom to up........

Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the fluval 406 and it does a great job. I like how I can control the outflow of the water too! If I don't like how strong the current is, I can turn it down. It comes with hoses and all media. I don't use the carbon, so I added extra sponge filtration. Easy assembly and easy to clean. You hoses connect to two valves and the valves are in one piece. You can pop the valves off with the hoses connected so you can remove the cannister to do your routine cleaning.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fluval 406 is where it's at! I love mine and it is great for my 55 gallon! The best part is the aqua stop system and the maintenance literally took only 5 minutes. The media is all Divided by small stackable plastic bins the go on the inside. You can't go wrong with this filter!

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com