What filter to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCr8zy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a canister filter for my new 55 gallon tank. I want a filter that is meant for aquariums around 100 gallons. I'm looking at the fluval 406 and the Marineland PC-ml160 Multi-stage Canister Filter. I am open to any other suggestions for canister filters. Does anybody have any advice on the fluval or marineland? :)

I have the Eheim 2213 on my 15g and love it. I bought the 2217 for the 55g, but the tank's not set up so I can't give you my impressions of it on a big tank. I do know that the 2213 is very easy to clean, flexible when it comes to media and does a very good job. I just did a w/c after rearranging everything and the tank was clear within 15 minutes.

I have the Eheim 2213 on my 15g and love it. I bought the 2217 for the 55g, but the tank's not set up so I can't give you my impressions of it on a big tank. I do know that the 2213 is very easy to clean, flexible when it comes to media and does a very good job. I just did a w/c after rearranging everything and the tank was clear within 15 minutes.

Wow
I heard about that eheim and it had pretty good reviews. Does it come with media, media tray, hoses, spray bar, etc?

Yup. There aren't separators for the loose media, but knee-high stockings are perfect for that; you don't even have to tie them. The description seem to be pretty vague, but this DOES include all the hoses, all the media and two double connectors. Also, the product name is different from Eheim (see pic). The tubing is two different sizes, one for in, one for out. The sizes are weird, but if you're looking for accessories on Amazon or something, the larger is called 594 and the smaller is called 494.

Aquarium Filters: Eheim Classic Canister Series 2213, 2215, and 2217

Attachments

• filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 56
  • filter3.jpg
    filter3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 53
Yup. There aren't separators for the loose media, but knee-high stockings are perfect for that; you don't even have to tie them. The description seem to be pretty vague, but this DOES include all the hoses, all the media and two double connectors. Also, the product name is different from Eheim (see pic). The tubing is two different sizes, one for in, one for out. The sizes are weird, but if you're looking for accessories on Amazon or something, the larger is called 594 and the smaller is called 494.

Aquarium Filters: Eheim Classic Canister Series 2213, 2215, and 2217

Oh. So there is an exit way at the bottom! I didn't see that in the amazon pic. That makes a lot more sense now. I thought there was one way in/out. Lol

Actually, with eheim filters the water comes in at the bottom and out at the top.

I have the fluval 406 and it does a great job. I like how I can control the outflow of the water too! If I don't like how strong the current is, I can turn it down. It comes with hoses and all media. I don't use the carbon, so I added extra sponge filtration. Easy assembly and easy to clean. You hoses connect to two valves and the valves are in one piece. You can pop the valves off with the hoses connected so you can remove the cannister to do your routine cleaning.

Fluval 406 is where it's at! I love mine and it is great for my 55 gallon! The best part is the aqua stop system and the maintenance literally took only 5 minutes. The media is all Divided by small stackable plastic bins the go on the inside. You can't go wrong with this filter!:)

Back
Top Bottom